Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diff rebuild in Los Angeles?

Hey Everyone:

Is there a diff shop in the Los Angeles (or SoCal) area that can be trusted with a diff rebuild? I'm aware of diffsonline but would prefer to have a local shop do the work if there's one we trust. Thanks in advance.

Also, one question: I have an 04 and am looking at a spare diff to use for the rebuild. Am I able to use an early diff in my car? If not, what is the quick/easy way to tell if its one of the later units?
    Last edited by LSB4Me; 11-26-2023, 11:38 AM.

Originally posted by LSB4Me View Post
    Hey Everyone:

Is there a diff shop in the Los Angeles (or SoCal) area that can be trusted with a diff rebuild? I'm aware of diffsonline but would prefer to have a local shop do the work if there's one we trust.

Thanks in advance.
    You can ask Anri

Comment

I bought the rebuild kit from RacingDiffs and then took it to Oceanside driveline for them to rebuild it. They have been known to do other very quality work, according to some of my friends who are in the automotive repair industry. I think he charge me like $375 for the labor to rebuild it, I supplied all the parts to him.

I certainly trust Oceanside driveline for any of my drivetrain work.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

You can ask Anri
        Thanks, I sent him a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chanman1029 View Post
          I bought the rebuild kit from RacingDiffs and then took it to Oceanside driveline for them to rebuild it. They have been known to do other very quality work, according to some of my friends who are in the automotive repair industry. I think he charge me like $375 for the labor to rebuild it, I supplied all the parts to him.

Awesome--appreciate the recommendation. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Comment

I got my Drexler 3.91 build done in San Diego. Cost $900 for everything including labor and rebuild parts.
            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by LSB4Me View Post
              Hey Everyone:

Is there a diff shop in the Los Angeles (or SoCal) area that can be trusted with a diff rebuild? I'm aware of diffsonline but would prefer to have a local shop do the work if there's one we trust. Thanks in advance.

Also, one question: I have an 04 and am looking at a spare diff to use for the rebuild. Am I able to use an early diff in my car? If not, what is the quick/easy way to tell if its one of the later units?
              No real way to tell that I know up other than pulling the rear diff cover.

Are you looking to swap in a different LSD unit or pull the entire diff apart and replace all the bearings?

If it's just the LSD unit you can just pull the rear cover and side covers off, swap the ring gear over, press on bearings and reinstall. Just check the gear pattern as a double check.

Bearings, seal and stuff will be about $300-$400. Figure about 2-3 hours of actual labor time. If you are keeping the same R&P...a DIY isn't too bad as long as you have access to a press.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

No real way to tell that I know up other than pulling the rear diff cover.
                Thanks, Bigjae. My car has a build date of 04/04. Assume that means I have the V2 unit in the later cars, correct?

Comment

You can pull the output hubs and based on which side has the longer shaft you can discern V1 from V2. You can also tell V1 from V2 based on which output flange has play in it.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjaya29 View Post
                    You can pull the output hubs and based on which side has the longer shaft you can discern V1 from V2. You can also tell V1 from V2 based on which output flange has play in it.
                    +1.

V1 has more plays on the right side with shorter flange.

I posted before that there is different markings on the output flanges concave surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Chanman1029 View Post

I've ordered a rebuild kit from them as well, i've had it sitting for a few years now. How is it holding up? I might consider taking it to them to do the rebuilding as i understand it is an art to get it properly rebuilt.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

+1.

I posted before that there is different markings on the output flanges concave surface.
                        I thought you could tell from the production year, anything 2005, 2006 has V2 and 2001 - 2004 would have the V1? Do i have this wrong? When i originally placed my order with the guys from racingdiffs, they established it was the V1 based on the production year, Im 04/04 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjaya29 View Post
                          Nice...totally forgot about that!

Comment

Originally posted by Irhase46m3 View Post

I've ordered a rebuild kit from them as well, i've had it sitting for a few years now. How is it holding up? I might consider taking it to them to do the rebuilding as i understand it is an art to get it properly rebuilt.
                            Mine has been just fine, granted I’ve probably only put about 2k miles on it since the rebuild, there have been no issues.

I was chasing a humming noise that I thought was coming from my diff, so that was the reason for me rebuilding it. When they disassembled it, they said they really didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, and just went ahead with the rebuild anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

+1.

Awesome--this is very helpful.

By chance, do you know if the V1 and V2 diffs are interchangable? I have a friend with a spare V2 and, if the year ranges above are correct, my 04 has a V1.

Comment

Working...
                              X