• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes they are interchangeable.

Comment

Originally posted by LSB4Me View Post

Awesome--this is very helpful.

By chance, do you know if the V1 and V2 diffs are interchangable? I have a friend with a spare V2 and, if the year ranges above are correct, my 04 has a V1.
      Should be. You can double check by taking a gear pattern and backlash reading with each unit.

Comment

Liechtbau in Costa Mesa built me a 3.91 setup and it has been flawless. Definitely recommend, give them a call.

Comment

Originally posted by Ddavies564 View Post
          Liechtbau in Costa Mesa built me a 3.91 setup and it has been flawless. Definitely recommend, give them a call.
          Thanks for this tip. I spoke to Byron at Leichtbau. Sounds like he knows his stuff and has done this before (obviously). I have him building me a 3.91.

Comment

Don you mind sharing the cost? I have a 4.1 ring and pinion pending install

Comment

Range is 1-2k depending on bearings, clutch packs, etc. Byron had pricing for each tier of work.

It depends on how extensive the rebuild needs to be. I supplied a donor diff and gear set. They are supplying the rest.

My donor diff is clean and only has 80k on it, so I’m planning to do everything except clutches.
              Last edited by LSB4Me; 12-27-2023, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chanman1029 View Post

Mine has been just fine, granted I’ve probably only put about 2k miles on it since the rebuild, there have been no issues.

I was chasing a humming noise that I thought was coming from my diff, so that was the reason for me rebuilding it. When they disassembled it, they said they really didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, and just went ahead with the rebuild anyways.
                I just dropped off my diff with these guys, they had all the tools for the V2 (specially tool) - it should be ready for pickup next week.

Quick question, what diff fluid did you use? Racing diff guys recommend MOTUL, but im leaning more on bmw oem with the FM booster.

Comment

Originally posted by Irhase46m3 View Post

I just dropped off my diff with these guys, they had all the tools for the V2 (specially tool) - it should be ready for pickup next week.

Quick question, what diff fluid did you use? Racing diff guys recommend MOTUL, but im leaning more on bmw oem with the FM booster.

I used the Motul that they recommended

Comment

Originally posted by Chanman1029 View Post

I used the Motul that they recommended
                    First Drive today with the rebuilt diff, it feels incredibly tight. The shop confirmed it was a V1 diff. Fixed a vibration i was having and also the diff clunk at low speeds/cornering.

Very happy with the results as of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Irhase46m3 View Post

First Drive today with the rebuilt diff, it feels incredibly tight. The shop confirmed it was a V1 diff. Fixed a vibration i was having and also the diff clunk at low speeds/cornering.

Very happy with the results as of right now.
                      I envy you

Comment

I am starting my diff rebuild and had bought a spare to avoid downtime and take my time. What a surprise to find a V2 diff which are kind of annoying to work with.

anyone has a tip to open the V2 without mangling the metal much?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0402.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	260396

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                          I am starting my diff rebuild and had bought a spare to avoid downtime and take my time. What a surprise to find a V2 diff which are kind of annoying to work with.

anyone has a tip to open the V2 without mangling the metal much?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0402.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	260396
                          Its left hand thread. I used the racing diffs tool...still a pain in the ass. Swapping the LSD units is easy. The pain is the pinion gear.

Comment

Working...
                          X