Caliper guide pin lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliper guide pin lube

I know there's a post about what people are using on their guide pins but I cant seem to find it. I had been using the ATE plastilube but due to that post I tried wd40. While it has made them cleaner and a bit more free they do tend to stick once the wd40 is cooked away. Anyone else have a magical lubricant they use?

I use 3M Silicone Paste. It can also be used directly on brake seals and other parts because it won't damage rubbers.

Use 3M™ Silicone Paste for the many areas of your vehicle that require long-term protection from the harsh conditions of environmental exposure. This non-hardening, water-resistant paste can be applied heavily to help seal out contaminants and weather. It can also be spread thin for nearly invisible lubrication and protection.

Comment

I clean them hospital-clean with no abrasion marks on the pin. I don't use lube and have no issues. If the barrel is sealed with a cap (my brass bushing don't support a cap), I suppose you can use any lube (I once used copper anti-seize) but I don't want any compound that can collect brake dust or fine road grit.
      Last edited by Estoril; 11-28-2023, 11:01 AM.

Comment

As cobra mentioned, be sure to use a silicone based lube. Anything else can destroy the seals rather quickly.
        I’ve always use this:
        Sil-Glyde Silicone Brake Lubricant Description Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant is a silicone-based brake lubricant recommended for the entire brake assembly, is compatible with plastic and rubber (EPDM & Nitrile), and dampens vibrations between contact points. It is moisture-proof and heat resistant to over 425 degrees F

Comment

Toyota lithium soap grease. Plastilube is not for inside guide pin boots. It's for metal on metal.

Comment

I've had good success over the years with Kleen-Flo eZe Slide Brake Lubricant (KLF331). It's silicone based.
            2006 BMW M3 ZCP

Comment

Sorry I didn't put in, I'm using the ecs brass bushings with the steel pins, so it is metal on metal. Wd40 works for a day or so at an hpde but at some point it burns away and the pins start to drag as do the brakes. Looking for something better

Comment

You probably want something fortified with a solid lubricant in that case, such as moly paste.

Comment

I use and recommend Sil-Glyde Silicone Brake Lubricant. https://www.agscompany.com/products/...rake-lubricant
                  ​

Comment

Another vote for Sil-glyde!

Comment

ATE notes that Plastilube can be used on slide pins. Not sure how it compares to other products.
                      ATE Plastilube Brake Lubricant, the best choice for noise-free brakes. ATE Plastilube provides long-lasting protection and reduces maintenance frequency for brakes. Plastilube provides an exceptionally long service life, to keep all moving parts lubricated and in smooth operation, regardless of weather conditions.
                      Last edited by Will; 11-29-2023, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Does everyone here largely ignore the "Only clean guide screws; do not grease." in TIS?

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                          Does everyone here largely ignore the "Only clean guide screws; do not grease." in TIS?
                          I don't ignore it. As stated earlier - I don't like lubes that can hold abrasive brake dust, road grit etc. and cause binding.

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
                            ATE notes that Plastilube can be used on slide pins. Not sure how it compares to other products.
                            Yeah, I read that--I could see how one could interpret it that way but I stick to metal on metal as I've just had great results with the Toyota stuff, in a sliding caliper, with steel pin and sealed rubber boot.

On my M3, last brake job I ran new ATE pins, bushings dry and I had sticking problems (bushings too tight, out of tolerance?). So, I hit them with the Toyota "grease" and zero issues--just like on my Lexus as the official TIS calls for on that vehicle. I'm not confident that in the BMW TIS the word "grease" = "lubricant". Rather, the word "grease" may = "some kind of grease not suitable for this application (rubber swelling, washout, etc.)".

And, not to mention, these slide pins should be cleaned/inspected/replaced along with the bushings as a matter of maintenance. So, yes, they may get dirty, but cleaning is a matter of maintenance and if maintained seizing is mitigated. That's how I roll this all up anyway. I guess we can chock this up there with the debate on adding angle to the torquing of the skid plate bolts.

Comment

Permatex 80653 Silicone Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, 8 fl. oz. https://a.co/d/8w3RIkl

Comment

Working...
                              X