Pentosin (?) leak under drug bin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pentosin (?) leak under drug bin.

Hey all, I need a little help sorting a leak just behind the passenger front wheel. It appears to be coming from under the drug bin-ish. I do have my SMG unit relocated to the bin but nothing appears to be leaking. I put leak detector into the pump's reservoir and stuffed rags into the bottom of the drug bin. The rags are dry and I don't see any dye around the pump/bin. What else is running under the bin? The fluid does feel and smell like Pentosin but I've been fooled before. I'll jack up the car and remove the fender liner which extends rearward under the door hinges as the leak seems to be dripping from this portion of the liner but I"m hoping for some guidance as I don't know when I'll have the time for removal. Thanks in advance.

oceansize may be able to help here as I believe he has his relocated as well. I’m not familiar enough with how the lines run. Is the fluid on the floor, and how much? Do you smell anything burning while driving?

maw

Comment

I had a leak there and it was the 2 O-rings inside the pump reservoir housing where the hose connects. Place something like construction paper under the pump, it will stain if the Pentosin drips onto it. I had a very difficult time diagnosing mine as well because the leak was a once in a while type of thing.
      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
        oceansize may be able to help here as I believe he has his relocated as well. I’m not familiar enough with how the lines run. Is the fluid on the floor, and how much? Do you smell anything burning while driving?

maw
        Yes, its running out onto the ground, just below the drug bin, maybe 5-10ml from the time I park in the morning to the time I leave work in the evening. No burning smell...
        Last edited by SlimPickins; 12-02-2023, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
          I had a leak there and it was the 2 O-rings inside the pump reservoir housing where the hose connects. Place something like construction paper under the pump, it will stain if the Pentosin drips onto it. I had a very difficult time diagnosing mine as well because the leak was a once in a while type of thing.
          I have towels under the pump in the drug bin and they are completely dry. Again, I haven't seen any of the leak dye detector on or around the pump or in the bottom of the drug bin. Very odd. I don't know what runs under the bin as most of the SMG lines end up on the driver's side of the transmission..

Comment

Yeah, mine seems intermittent as well. O-ring expansion, contraction? How did you solve? I've replaced every piece of rubber/viton in this thing three times.. I love the SMG but have spent dozens of hours on it. Manual swap… I dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SlimPickins View Post

Yeah, mine seems intermittent as well. O-ring expansion, contraction? How did you solve? I've replaced every piece of rubber/viton in this thing three times.. I love the SMG but have spent dozens of hours on it. Manual swap… I dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I bought an Viton O-ring kit and replaced them with two that looked very very close in size, no more leaks.
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I bought an Viton O-ring kit and replaced them with two that looked very very close in size, no more leaks.
                Have you got a part number for this kit? Wouldn’t be the first time for subpar BMW rubber. Pinion seals are another one where an aftermarket rubber can save you some work.

maw
                Last edited by maw1124; 12-03-2023, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X