No announcement yet.

Rear Diff Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can all 3 diff. bushings be replaced in situ? The rears I can see, but not the front unless the subframe and/or diff. is dropped. Looking to do the power flex bushes. I have 4.10 gears and get a pretty good clunk here and there. The diff. was rebuilt with 4.10s in 2015 by an indy shop by the previous owner, wish I had more information on it.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
      Can all 3 diff. bushings be replaced in situ? The rears I can see, but not the front unless the subframe and/or diff. is dropped. Looking to do the power flex bushes. I have 4.10 gears and get a pretty good clunk here and there. The diff. was rebuilt with 4.10s in 2015 by an indy shop by the previous owner, wish I had more information on it.
      Yeah you can replace the front diff bushing without dropping the subframe but it's a bit of a pain since there's not too much space. Also know that poly bushings add significant NVH. I've got some on my car and the diff whine is pretty loud. I'll probably go back to OE soon.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

OP: make sure the rear mount bolts haven’t loosened.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Yeah you can replace the front diff bushing without dropping the subframe but it's a bit of a pain since there's not too much space. Also know that poly bushings add significant NVH. I've got some on my car and the diff whine is pretty loud. I'll probably go back to OE soon.
          I will just do the OE bushes then, I liked the poly because it looked like the install may be easier. I'll be putting it in the air today to check the rear bolts and everything else.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

I will just do the OE bushes then, I liked the poly because it looked like the install may be easier. I'll be putting it in the air today to check the rear bolts and everything else.
            If the front bushing was gone it would be readily aparant when you have in in the air. The front of the diff would move if you shake it. What normally happens is the front diff bolt backs out thus ruining the bushing.

If you want to go OE rear bushings you need to get the whole diff cover. Cant buy OE replacement bushings. Some claim the E36(?) ones can be pressed in but not sure what the conclusion on that was.

Comment

It's up in the air, the front bushing looks fine, the rears not so much possibly. When I try and move the diff by hand it is rock solid.
              The driveshaft has about 1/10th or so rotational play, the passenger side halfshaft has a small about of up/down play whereas the driver's side is rock solid.
              The guibo has a few cracks developing in it, also if I rotate the rear wheels backwards then rotate them foward quickly it feels like there is some play there as well as a clunking sound when I do that.

Edit: that video of the rear diff. bushings is worthless after uploading it.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
              X