Starting Fresh: Where to Begin Anew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Fresh: Where to Begin Anew?

I find myself in a unique situation, considering trading my heavily modified car for an unmodified one. The big three are already done. If you could start anew with your car modifications:

​​​​​​1: Which modifications would you do?

2: What modifications do you believe add the most value to our cars?

3: In what order would you upgrade or modify the car?

I have two E46 M3s. One I ordered new, Individual and I have left it all stock except a small improvement to the suspension. I never chased appearance mods trying to turn it into a faux CSL or hard-parker.

The second is a dedicated track car. It's changes are limited to those that make it safer, a MCS suspension and track pads. A suspension and braking matter for a track car.

Comment

You didn't specify mileage on the unmodified car and whether or not you would be taking her to the track
      1. Top side reinforcement
      2. Replace every rubber bushing and mount.
      3. Tires/Wheels
      4. Monoball RTAB
      5. Solid subrame bushings
      6. ARCAs
      7. Suspension threads have been beat to death, make your pick
      8. IMO, a 3.91 diff
      9. CSL Intake (I prefer FI because $ per HP, but most don't so...)
      10. Slon's bracing, front and rear.
      11. If track car, BBK
      12. Exhaust (take your pick, probably supersprint)
      Last edited by oceansize; 12-31-2023, 01:32 PM.
      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Going to assume you are talking about mods specifically so I won’t mention maintenance items (which of course you should address first). These are the mods I have that I’ve really enjoyed:

- Supersprint sport section 3 exhaust
        - Eventuri intake (I would do a Karbonius CSL intake if I didn’t have to deal with smog)
        - E60 short shifter + new ZHP shift knob

At some point I want to do euro headers + euro sec 1 with an HTE tune
        Last edited by simon_c; 12-31-2023, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
          a MCS A suspension and braking matter for a track car.
          You can rationalize it all you want, but can you spare us the holier than tho act?

You're not battling for championships to put food on the table. It's a hobby, just like it is for everyone else.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I’m happy with everything I’ve done to mine, but starting fresh I could probably stick to a topside reinforcement, Autosolutions SSK, and CSL engine management (meaning intake, headers and CSL spec cams. Cams not really needed but I’d much rather run BMW’s tune than some random one). The stock non-lumbar seats sucked too but that’s personal preference.

I’d also seriously consider selling my E39 too and building an M3 sedan ..

Comment

If I were to start over, the most important thing for me would be to get a clean (ultra) low mile car.

For context my E46 has 200k miles, and required a lot of work (and a lot of money) to get it in that 10/10 condition.
              Compare that to my E39 with less than 50k miles, it was significantly less effort to make it near perfect.

Apart from that I would probably build it in exactly the same way, perhaps instead of an Evolve CSL box I would go with Karbonius, but that's about it.
              Sometimes I am considering swapping out the 996 calipers for a Brembo GT or AP racing kit, but they work fine so there's really no need except for bragging rights.
              E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
              E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
              E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

If you want to modify the car and add value, it needs to be OEM+ mods like ZCP brakes, ZCP steering rack, ZCP steering wheel, ZCP wheels. An interior color change can also add value if you have grey to begin with. You can also swap OEM CSL parts.

If you want to go with aftermarket parts:

-Brembo GT bbk
                -BBS wheels
                -Karbonius CSL intake
                -Ohlins R&T coilovers
                -Supersprint Stepped headers, catted section 1, SS muffler of your choice
                -Recaro Sportster
                2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

You can rationalize it all you want, but can you spare us the holier than tho act?

You're not battling for championships to put food on the table. It's a hobby, just like it is for everyone else.
                  Its not holier than anything. I suggest you not be so hypersensitive. I upgrade things when they no longer are up to the demand placed upon them, not proactively on the small chance that some day I *might* use them to the improved capacity. I know that runs counter to the popular approach. Try to not be bothered because someone dares to not turn a grocery-getter into a race car.

Comment

Recent lesson I learned the hard way; if you buy a car with 1 or more of the Big 3 done, make sure you have photos/video of the process if it was DIY, and receipts if a shop did it. You can't just rely on someone's word that they did it properly. And in fact, all maintenance that has been done and is being pushed as a selling point, just verify all of that. I almost feel like it's better to do it all yourself if there is any uncertainty.

With that in mind, I would go for a LCI coupe with a spec you like. IMO the only mods that add value to the car are certain suspensions, a limited selection of wheels, nice CSL style parts IF they fit and are tuned properly.
                    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                      Recent lesson I learned the hard way; if you buy a car with 1 or more of the Big 3 done, make sure you have photos/video of the process if it was DIY, and receipts if a shop did it. You can't just rely on someone's word that they did it properly. And in fact, all maintenance that has been done and is being pushed as a selling point, just verify all of that. I almost feel like it's better to do it all yourself if there is any uncertainty.\
                      ABSOLUTELY THIS!!! I'd rather do it myself.

If I had to do it again? I'd cut up a silver car instead of a nice Imola Red version.

Dual purpose...TC Klines doubles, big brake kit, and a ZF 4 clutch diff.
                      Last edited by bigjae46; 12-31-2023, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I like these scenarios, gets me thinking of what I've done, over the years, thinking of quite a bit. I bought my car in 2007 with 26,000 miles or so and tried my best to keep up with maintenance and repairs and overall the car has been good to me for it. For the most part.

If I were buying one of these cars today, I'd focus on one as close to stock as possible and with the best maintenance records, even at the expense of mileage. At this point, these cars have miles on them and are 20+yrs old; we all know proper maintenance costs money and time. If I were to do it again, I'd probably to it similar--best condition, mileage, records in my budget and go from there. I'm not a big mod person so that would influence my purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
                          I find myself in a unique situation, considering trading my heavily modified car for an unmodified one. The big three are already done. If you could start anew with your car modifications…
                          I’d do none, again, except stereo and tune. For you, get the best unmodified car you can in exchange for your modified one.

I’m in this place with another car, having bought another Allroad 4.2 with 1/3 of the miles, no rust and no mods. Mine has every mod worth having + more miles in the salt and more rust. Having modded the first one, when I look back, almost NONE of those mods would I do again.

I think that’s the truth of these factory tuners whether we admit it or not is a different story. They were best when they rolled off the factory floor, unless you want to turn a grocery getter into a race car (as someone expertly put it above).

For ///M and ///AMG cars, just leave them alone, unless you’re going to the track, in which case, don’t … or leave them alone.

maw
                          Last edited by maw1124; 01-01-2024, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Uhh I have two of these heaps and I wouldn't do anything.

If anything, I'd sell the modified car for as much as you can get, and then buy a GT4.

Then hit up Deman in NY.
                            2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                            2005 BMW ///M3
                            Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                            2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                            2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                            2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
                              If you want to modify the car and add value, it needs to be OEM+ mods like ZCP brakes, ZCP steering rack, ZCP steering wheel, ZCP wheels. An interior color change can also add value if you have grey to begin with. You can also swap OEM CSL parts.

If you want to go with aftermarket parts:

-Brembo GT bbk
                              -BBS wheels
                              -Karbonius CSL intake
                              -Ohlins R&T coilovers
                              -Supersprint Stepped headers, catted section 1, SS muffler of your choice
                              -Recaro Sportster
                              This, but I like the gray interior. The big three would also be on my list.
                              Last edited by D-O; 01-02-2024, 10:37 AM.
                              Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Working...
                              X