Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Rack Help

Hi Gys,

My car has a leak on the right side boot of the steering rack, looks like it is a toast? I know there are a lot of option with yellow, green, purple tag and all, I just want to change the non leaky oem rack.
    Where is the best place to get a used one as I heard remanufactured leak again. I am planning to get a used rack and change the tie rods.

Any luck with rebuilding?

Thanks in advance.

A seal kit exists...got one from eBay. I only did the pinion seal. 3 years later it is still holding.

Comment

What is it about these racks that there isn't a reliable place to send them in for a rebuild?

I'll have to track down that seal kit and hold onto it as well.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by bullet0770 View Post
        My car has a leak on the right side boot of the steering rack, looks like it is a toast?.
        The O-ring is leak on the right chamer of the rack. Just replace the leaking o-ring.

Comment

Perfect time to upgrade to a yellow tag. I’m happy I installed mine. If the green tag rack was good enough, the ZCP cars wouldn’t have purple tags.

PS: Rack Doctor is the rebuild/core exchange place. I got my yellow tag locally, so I can’t comment on RD’s work, price, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LSB4Me View Post
            Perfect time to upgrade to a yellow tag. I’m happy I installed mine. If the green tag rack was good enough, the ZCP cars wouldn’t have purple tags.

PS: Rack Doctor is the rebuild/core exchange place. I got my yellow tag locally, so I can’t comment on RD’s work, price, etc.
            I’d say avoid Rack Doctor. Heard bad things about their QC and personally I found them horrible to deal with. I had to start a chargeback to get my core refund after over a month of radio silence.

Comment

Rack Doctor's reputation on this board is absolute sh**. Do not use IMO.
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post

I’d say avoid Rack Doctor. Heard bad things about their QC and personally I found them horrible to deal with. I had to start a chargeback to get my core refund after over a month of radio silence.
                Yea, I recall this being the general sentiment. That's why I went with a local yellow tag. Bummer that RD isn't a better resource, but at least he's not building engines.

Comment

I got my blue tag from Rack Doctor, and it did eventually show up, and was in good condition.

That being said, I can't believe someone like that actually owns a business and didn't go under the first month. Dudes customer service is TERRIBLE. Literally the worst I've ever seen.

We got in verbal battles twice over email, and once by phone. He kept threatening to refund me after months of waiting, if I didn't "watch my attitude".

Absolute asshole, but my rack was fine and hasn't given me any problems. So, if you do use him, maybe just don't reach out.
                  2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                  2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

LPSR
                    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
                    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
                    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated.

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                      A seal kit exists...got one from eBay. I only did the pinion seal. 3 years later it is still holding.
                      Do you have a link ?

Will this kit work or this is missing the seal you are talking about? >>Seal Kit LINK<<

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                      What is it about these racks that there isn't a reliable place to send them in for a rebuild?

I'll have to track down that seal kit and hold onto it as well.

True, looks like I probably would need to rebuild the O-Ring and see if it works.

Perfect time to upgrade to a yellow tag. I'm happy I installed mine. If the green tag rack was good enough, the ZCP cars wouldn't have purple tags.

PS: Rack Doctor is the rebuild/core exchange place. I got my yellow tag locally, so I can't comment on RD's work, price, etc.
                      I may but I don't drive that much and trying to see if I could just stop the leak for now. If I am not able to fix it then maybe I will buy yellow tag from ebay or other source (Any particular place to look for?).

Originally posted by stephen View Post

I'd say avoid Rack Doctor. Heard bad things about their QC and personally I found them horrible to deal with. I had to start a chargeback to get my core refund after over a month of radio silence.
                      Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                      Rack Doctor's reputation on this board is absolute sh**. Do not use IMO.
                      Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                      I got my blue tag from Rack Doctor, and it did eventually show up, and was in good condition.

That being said, I can't believe someone like that actually owns a business and didn't go under the first month. Dudes customer service is TERRIBLE. Literally the worst I've ever seen.

We got in verbal battles twice over email, and once by phone. He kept threatening to refund me after months of waiting, if I didn't "watch my attitude".

Absolute asshole, but my rack was fine and hasn't given me any problems. So, if you do use him, maybe just don't reach out.
                      Yea, I recall this being the general sentiment. That's why I went with a local yellow tag. Bummer that RD isn't a better resource, but at least he's not building engines.
                      Not Going to RackDoctor lol..maybe if all other sources are exhausted then maybe buy from him, will remember to not contact him haha

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                      The O-ring is leak on the right chamer of the rack. Just replace the leaking o-ring.
                      Does the above link has the o-ring you are talking about.

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post
                      LPSR
                      Buy rebuild kit or rack ? Is this in Australia?
                      Last edited by bullet0770; 01-03-2024, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bullet0770 View Post
                        Buy rebuild kit or rack ? Is this in Australia?
                        Lucasz should be able to help you with both a comprehensive rebuild kit or a properly rebuilt and tested rack. He knows everything there is to know about these racks, and yes he is from Australia.
                        E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
                        E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
                        E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post

Lucasz should be able to help you with both a comprehensive rebuild kit or a properly rebuilt and tested rack. He knows everything there is to know about these racks, and yes he is from Australia.
                          Sent him a message from his website.

Comment

Reply From Lucasz

One of the seal is gone and there is no way to replace just one seal without stripping the whole rack. He recommends the black label rack with 2.5 turns (this is new color for me :P) and it would be available in Feb.
                            He said AUD $1250 + AUD $120 shipping. Maybe try to find a yellow tag or OEM rack locally for now.

Comment

BRAND NEW BMW E46 LHD BLACK LABEL 2.5 TURNS LOCK TO LOCK Due to the incredible success of our Black Label RHD steering rack we have received an overwhelming amount of inquiries from people all over the world asking for a left-hand drive version. We have listened to our customers and decided to help them out! (1) What exactly is our BLACK LABEL 2.5 TURNS SUPER QUICK RACK? -Have you ever heard that the E46 ZHP yellow tag is the best rack? Or is the E46 CSL blue label even better? Purple tag? Quick Z3 rack? Guess what? - our BLACK LABEL beats all of them! SOME TECHNICAL INFO NOW: - Our E46 Black Label 2.5 turns steering rack HAS ALMOST THE SAME parameters as ALL other standard E46 racks. It means: housing (shell), ports orientation, pinion length, pinion angle, pinion splines, threads, rod OD, mounting points, rod length and stroke ARE EXACTLY THE SAME as E46 purple, yellow, silver, blue and green tag. The only difference is obviously the number of turns2.5 lock to lock is a GAME CHANGER. It makes it the QUICKEST rack that you can possibly install in your BMW without heavy modifications implemented to your vehicle. Our E46 BLACK LABEL is incredibly nimble, precise and most importantly not twitchy. Even at high speeds, the steering is very predictable and easy to control. It is a life changer for drifters, racers and everyday drivers!!! *BMW E46 - It is a direct replacement / swap for every LHD BMW E46. *BMW E36 - It is a direct replacement for every LHD BMW E36 (please note you need to use vented inner tie rods! Cannot reuse your E36 inner ones.) *BMW E30 - It is a standard conversion procedure for every LHD BMW E30 as with installing any other E46 steering rack. If you have already installed the E46 steering rack into your E30 - it will be a direct and simple swap. No more mods and hassle required. Product was developed in accordance with Australian Standards. All the work, design, material, specs etc are strictly discussed and approved by Australian Engineer. - This is a high performance product and because of a heavy abusive nature like drifting, racing etc - we offer a 12 months warranty and as always - an endless after sales support. If you live in Australia every steering modification should be discussed / approved by an Australian Engineer. If you live overseas it is your responsibility to know the laws and legislations in your own country. You make all modifications at your own risk and you are liable for any damages you might cause yourself. This product should be installed by professionals.

Seems aggressive, let us know how it goes.
                              2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                              2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Working...
                              X