SMG error code 59 clutch control possible causes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG error code 59 clutch control possible causes

Summarizing of the story, retrofitted the complete SMG system from an M3 into my E46 Touring. Everything is wired in engine is in transmission is in. I have a brand new LUK clutch kit with a resurfaced stock flywheel. Dual mass flywheel was in the acceptable range of play so I opted to reuse it.

Smg transmission has both compression springs on the left side changed out the ones on the top I left alone under the block off plate.

New throwout bearing(OE Sachs from BMW, I opted. I opted not to use the. LUK bearing), clutch fork, pivot pin and spring and guide tube with fresh fluid.

Everything is assembled fine and installed no problem

Able to use INPA to run the bleed actuator test, clutch bleed and the third test for the gear position and clutch control.

The very last thing in the third step is to press the brake and start the engine which it does but it fails with a red screen that says clutch control

The error message in the SMG transmission computer is sporadic. It doesn't always pop up and it's not consistent

Yesterday I was able to start the engine. I have the hood switches looped so that it thinks the hood is closed and when I close the door press on the brake and start the engine. I can actually change gears into first and second they do not flash. I can go into a reverse as well and the transmission spins.

Like I said is inconsistent though. So today the error message kept coming up. Error code 59 clutch control. I can clear it but it will eventually come back

The slave cylinder has 189,000 mi on it. So I read online that it's usually related to the slave cylinder sensor. So I have a slave cylinder sensor laying around from 100,000 mi car. I swap that in and the code is still inconsistent and comes back or goes away

Wondering what else could be the possible cause, wondering if I should also change the mechanical slave cylinder itself? Not sure if that's also a possible issue

The gear position sensor originally had 189,000 miles. It was original with the blue zip tie, had no problems in the M3 before I pulled it but I've also swapped it with the low mileage 100,000 mi gear position sensor that apparently was replaced because it had a black zip tie and again it passes the full test for gear position and can switch into all the gears with no problem

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what else it could be

I don't think there's anything wrong with the clutch or the pressure plate because I can get it occasionally to switch gears and engage

Hoping there might be somebody else that has any thoughts on this. There's not a ton of information on Google or the other forums, except everybody really repeating the same thing the slave cylinder sensor.

I would try replacing the whole slave cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post
      The slave cylinder has 189,000 mi on it. So I read online that it's usually related to the slave cylinder sensor. So I have a slave cylinder sensor laying around from 100,000 mi car. I swap that in and the code is still inconsistent and comes back or goes away

Wondering what else could be the possible cause, wondering if I should also change the mechanical slave cylinder itself? Not sure if that's also a possible issue​.
      Three posibilities:
      1.Pressure plate auto-adjust was not reset leading to not function properly.
      2. slave sensor -- which you had changed
      3. slave cylinder/piston, and air not bled out completely.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Three posibilities:
        1.Pressure plate auto-adjust was not reset leading to not function properly.
        2. slave sensor -- which you had changed
        3. slave cylinder/piston, and air not bled out completely.
        It was a brand new LUK clutch kit. The pressure plate did have the self-adjusting clutch mechanism and it had the special locking plate installed. When I installed the clutch with the clutch alignment tool set and tighten everything down, I remove my clutch alignment tool and I used a 14 mm hex to remove the SAC reset plate

So I don't think I did anything out of the ordinary in regards to the SAC system.

I will try changing the actual slave cylinder hydraulic assembly tomorrow with another known good unit that I have and see if I get any different results.

Comment

So I changed to a lower mileage hydraulic slave cylinder. I'm not ready to spend money on a brand new one yet in case this isn't a slave cylinder issue

Change the salmon relay and the slave cylinder with a different sensor from 100,000 mi car and same issue with the clutch control error 59

Wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that the car is in the air with no drive shaft and no brakes and no wheels. Anything connected? ... have ABS sensors connected so it doesn't throw codes for those. The Smg system did not like not having the ABS sensors connected so they're wired up and just dangling but there's no drive shaft. No rear end in the car

Wondering if the system is trying to actuate the clutch because one of the steps has press on the break and operate the engine and hold the brake. So I'm wondering if it's expecting the drive shaft not to spin and the drive shaft essentially is spinning since the car is not in the ground with no wheels or anything​

Comment

So I changed to a lower mileage hydraulic slave cylinder. I'm not ready to spend money on a brand new one yet in case this isn't a slave cylinder issue

Change the salmon relay and the slave cylinder with a different sensor from 100,000 mi car and same issue with the clutch control error 59

Wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that the car is in the air with no drive shaft and no brakes and no wheels. Anything connected? ... have ABS sensors connected so it doesn't throw codes for those. The Smg system did not like not having the ABS sensors connected so they're wired up and just dangling but there's no drive shaft. No rear end in the car

Wondering if the system is trying to actuate the clutch because one of the steps has press on the break and operate the engine and hold the brake. So I'm wondering if it's expecting the drive shaft not to spin and the drive shaft essentially is spinning since the car is not in the ground with no wheels or anything​
            This might be an issue. I think the purpose of that last step is to measure the clutch bite point with the engine turning and usually only takes a fraction of a second after the engine turns over to go green.

The fact that all the previous tests pass is a good sign, when I've had failures with the clutch slave they have failed in the clutch bleed adaption.

I'd say button the rest of the car up and try again. You can still access the clutch slave with the driveshaft on.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

This might be an issue. I think the purpose of that last step is to measure the clutch bite point with the engine turning and usually only takes a fraction of a second after the engine turns over to go green.

The fact that all the previous tests pass is a good sign, when I've had failures with the clutch slave they have failed in the clutch bleed adaption.

I'd say button the rest of the car up and try again. You can still access the clutch slave with the driveshaft on.
              I believe you nail it.
              With the drive shaft not connected, the TCM cannot sense the wheels rotation or the tranny output turning, so it's impossible for the TCM to detect the clutch bite point -- it didn't see the output flange turning when it tried to engage the clutch, hence the error.

OP, I think you just connect the drive shaft to the tranny and can have the rear wheel off the ground.
              Last edited by sapote; 01-03-2024, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

I believe you nail it.
                With the drive shaft not connected, the TCM cannot sense the wheels rotation or the tranny output turning, so it's impossible for the TCM to detect the clutch bite point -- it didn't see the output flange turning when it tried to engage the clutch, hence the error.

OP, I think you just connect the drive shaft to the tranny and can have the rear wheel off the ground.

Wish i could say the issue was resolved.

everything has been buttoned up now. driveshaft, rear end, E brake system, even put the rear wheels on. Tried the SMG adaptations test 3 times.

1 as is... 3rd final test says presss brake and start engine - fail on clutch control 59
                2 with e brake on holding rear brakes in place with out foot on brake for 3rd test - fail clutch control 59
                3 with out E brake and with out holding brake, press brake to statt engine and let foot off - fail clutch control 59

i clear codes from SMG DME each time between tests

if i clear codes, the error doesnt come back on its own so far, unless i run the test again i can close the door and press the brake and put the car in 1st, 2nd and reverse and the wheels engage properly with no weird noises or sounds or anything out of the ordinary.

acccording to Burkhart for error 59
                • PLCD sensor defective
                • Defective clutch
                • Release bearing defective
                ive changed the PLCD sensor no change
                im on a new LUK Clutch kit and ye i made sure that the correct side Getrieb is pointed towards the gearbox​
                im using a brand new genuine BMW release bearing instead of the included LUK bearing. maybe i should have used the LUK one as it has the rotating bearing cup to account for slop compared to the SACHS/BMW one that has no play in the bearing cup
                new BMW clutch fork
                steel pivot pin from bmw
                new fork spring
                new guide tub
                splines lubed with included grease from LUK

here are some screen shots from INPA. i even used the activate feature to activate the clutch solenoid to get the readings. not sure how to interpret the actual vs nominal reading.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	185
Size:	827.9 KB
ID:	259234

Views:	176
Size:	908.9 KB
ID:	259235

Views:	181
Size:	896.7 KB
ID:	259236
                ​​

Comment

ive changed the PLCD sensor no change
                  ​​
                  When you say you changed the PLCD sensor do you mean you changed the slave cylinder? The PLCD is built into the clutch slave cylinder is why I'm asking, or did you somehow manage to just replace the sensor?

If you did change the slave, new or used? Many have run into issues trying to swap in a different used one.
                  3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

When you say you changed the PLCD sensor do you mean you changed the slave cylinder? The PLCD is built into the clutch slave cylinder is why I'm asking, or did you somehow manage to just replace the sensor?

If you did change the slave, new or used? Many have run into issues trying to swap in a different used one.
                    the slave and PLCD sensor are together. you can remove the PLCD sensor from the slave.

i tried the original Slave and PLCD sensor that came with my S54 tat had 168k miles on it

i tried another PLCD sensor from a 100k mile car and then also changed the slave as well.

all have the same error.

I dont think its the slave or PLCD sensor because i never had this issue before when the S54 and SMG system was in the M3 vert. when i bought the M3 vert i changed the SMG pump and accumulator and ran the complete adaptations test and it passed no errors back then.

now all of a sudden after engine swap with clutch kit change now i'm getting the error.

it has to be something with the clutch or clutch components.

I'm hoping maybe its related to a LUK clutch kit being slight different in tolerances than the genuine BMW clutch kit or sachs clutch kit and maybe i need to try driving it and see what happens. Maybe the clutch is too new and things are too tight with the pressure plate, clutch disk and throw out bearing and it needs some miles driven on it.

for all i know it could start throwing the errors after driving it on the road. i would need to carry my laptop with me at that point just to clear the error to limp back home if that happens.

Comment

the slave and PLCD sensor are together. you can remove the PLCD sensor from the slave.

i tried the original Slave and PLCD sensor that came with my S54 tat had 168k miles on it

i tried another PLCD sensor from a 100k mile car and then also changed the slave as well.

all have the same error.

I dont think its the slave or PLCD sensor because i never had this issue before when the S54 and SMG system was in the M3 vert. when i bought the M3 vert i changed the SMG pump and accumulator and ran the complete adaptations test and it passed no errors back then.

now all of a sudden after engine swap with clutch kit change now i'm getting the error.

it has to be something with the clutch or clutch components.

I'm hoping maybe its related to a LUK clutch kit being slight different in tolerances than the genuine BMW clutch kit or sachs clutch kit and maybe i need to try driving it and see what happens. Maybe the clutch is too new and things are too tight with the pressure plate, clutch disk and throw out bearing and it needs some miles driven on it.

for all i know it could start throwing the errors after driving it on the road. i would need to carry my laptop with me at that point just to clear the error to limp back home if that happens.
                      When I rebuilt and relocated my SMG Pump my slave died, perfectly fine before (100k miles). I've seen this trend occur on numerous cars now. Somewhat high mileage, SMG/Clutch disassembly and the slave is malfunctioning on re-assembly. I'm not saying this is what is occurring to you, but keep it mind as you go along troubleshooting.
                      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

When I rebuilt and relocated my SMG Pump my slave died, perfectly fine before (100k miles). I've seen this trend occur on numerous cars now. Somewhat high mileage, SMG/Clutch disassembly and the slave is malfunctioning on re-assembly. I'm not saying this is what is occurring to you, but keep it mind as you go along troubleshooting.
                        +1

swapping out a slave is much easier than dropping the tranny to redo the clutch.

Comment

​if i clear codes, the error doesnt come back on its own so far, unless i run the test again i can close the door and press the brake and put the car in 1st, 2nd and reverse and the wheels engage properly with no weird noises or sounds or anything out of the ordinary.
                          ​​
                          Does this mean you can drive the car fine? If no weird gear shifting noise then the slave and plcd must be working ok.

Comment

Does this mean you can drive the car fine? If no weird gear shifting noise then the slave and plcd must be working ok.
                            The car is up in the air on quickjacks. That's how I can put it in first second gear and reverse and see the wheels spinning in the different gears

Comment

The car is up in the air on quickjacks. That's how I can put it in first second gear and reverse and see the wheels spinning in the different gears
                              can you drive it? If it has no problem driving, then the issue is about testing setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X