Daily email re New Topics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily email re New Topics

Obioban / liam821 Ian, I'm certain you've been receiving the daily email from the i3 forum, as shown below. Can we enable that feature here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DailyDigest.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	248903
    17 iO1 i3
    16 F22 M235i
    08 E93 M3
    04 E46 M3 Carbon Schwarz - SMG II - Discovery Automotive tuned - AFE Stage 2 - SS Stepped - SS Metallic Cats - Eisenmann X-pipe - SS Race - 4.10 - ACS CF lip - 6000K Heads & Fogs - Tein S

Interesting idea, I think I would take advantage of that feature.

Comment

We'll see if Liam can find anything, but poking around the admin CP, nothing sticks out at me.

Vbulletin kind of sucks on the admin side :P

I do like the idea of it-- seems like it would increase participation.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

You can set a daily email notification but only for topics you've already seen and subscribed to (you subscribe automatically when replying). See Settings->Notifications tab

Comment

I don't think there is some way to do this within the confines of the vbb administration panel. However, that's not to say it can't be done. We could easily pull the top N posts from the last week, craft an email, and send it out.

A few things we'd have to think about. If we were to send a single email to all the forum users, we're talking about 7,500 emails a week - that's a lot of emails. Currently, we send out about 75-125/day. We'd also have to work something up so people can "opt-out/un-subscribe" with a button click and not include that person in future emails.

There is also the cost. Currently, our server handles sending email, and at our current volume, it's manageable and we've never been blacklisted for "bulk" email. But with dumping 7500 emails all at once, we'd want to use a smart email gateway, such as the Amazon SES service. It's not terribly expensive, $0.10 per 1000 emails, so you're talking ~$3/month at our current user count, but that number will go up.

It would help increase traffic back to the website though, and that's never a bad thing. I suppose it's cheap advertising.

I'm game if you all think it's a good idea.
          E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
          Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Hi Guys, If there is any help needed regarding anything on the forum, let me know. It would be pleasure to help out. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
              I don't think there is some way to do this within the confines of the vbb administration panel. However, that's not to say it can't be done. We could easily pull the top N posts from the last week, craft an email, and send it out.

A few things we'd have to think about. If we were to send a single email to all the forum users, we're talking about 7,500 emails a week - that's a lot of emails. Currently, we send out about 75-125/day. We'd also have to work something up so people can "opt-out/un-subscribe" with a button click and not include that person in future emails.

There is also the cost. Currently, our server handles sending email, and at our current volume, it's manageable and we've never been blacklisted for "bulk" email. But with dumping 7500 emails all at once, we'd want to use a smart email gateway, such as the Amazon SES service. It's not terribly expensive, $0.10 per 1000 emails, so you're talking ~$3/month at our current user count, but that number will go up.

It would help increase traffic back to the website though, and that's never a bad thing. I suppose it's cheap advertising.

I'm game if you all think it's a good idea.
              If this is something we do, I think it should be opt in— not opt out.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
              X