Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UCC Single Mass Flywheel and sprung clutch for my SMG tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UCC Single Mass Flywheel and sprung clutch for my SMG tranny?

I called UUC for another matter (D-Force wheel BMW center caps) and I mentioned to Jay that I plan on a new, better than stock clutch because even when brand new, I can get the stock clutch to slip considerably on full throttle or even 3/4 throttle up-shifts. Only 310 RWHP(Dyno jet value) but dyno tuned by Barry at AA in Miami.

Now, this Jay salesman is all set to call me Monday and try to sell me what he and UUC think is a BETTER option. I assume it is their .Lightweight Stage 2 Plus Flywheel and Clutch package for E46 M3 6-speed and SMG - 8.5 lbs. https://store.uucmotorwerks.com/ltw-...-smg-p248.aspx

In my mind I want to purchase a new Luk Dual Mass flywheel replacement (mine is quite worn out) and some SMG compatible solid hub clutch from South Bend Clutch that will hold my 310 RWHP with room to grow to 360+ NA RWHP or more should I go that route with fancy tunes and CF airboxes. No Forced Induction planned at this time. So I am talking about a VERY street friendly set up that will not slip.
    Like THIS: A Stage 2 Daily Clutch Kit for $517.00 (340 ft/lbs)

plus the Luf DMFW:​ About $385 shipped:

My car is 99% aggressive street use and once or twice a year HPDE track sessions at Sebring Raceway.

I do NOT want my flex disc (guibo) to disintegrate often. Currently, my FEBI guibos can last up to three years of very aggressive driving I do NOT want excessive wear on my tranny, diff, and prop shaft. I also plan on buying a VERY expensive SMG compatible CF one piece prop (drive) shaft.

My 2005 M3 mileage is 120K on a solid S54 motor that does not burn a drop of oil (every 4.5k mile change) no matter how I hard I flog it. SMG Tranny is notchy on 1-2 shifts when cold. Otherwise, its just fine.

Should I tell UUC, Jay to take a hike or entertain his sales pitch?
    I have heard that the single mass set ups are nasty-noisy and only quieted down with UUC's experimental mix of gear oils including some questionable Active Sulphur GL5 gear oil. Some(many?) are afraid that GL5(active Sulphur) oil will attack the yellow metals in our synchro's. Our trannies call for GL4 gear oils or thin D4 auto tranny fluid.

To avoid excessive wear on your tranny, ALWAYS use the appropriate lube!! So important. Fluids are cheap, trannies are expensive!!.

Do not, DO NOT put any UUC parts on your car. You'll be sorry.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Also, you do not want a 8.5 lbs flywheel in a 99% street car. I have a 14 lb steel SMF in one of my cars and even that is borderline intolerable for the street.

Regarding the fluid, a long time ago when I was doing a clutch job in my turbo 240z, I was in a rush and bought some tranny fluid at the local parts store because my regular GL-4 fluid wasn't available locally. I mistakenly bought GL-5 and just after break in period the transmission seized on the highway at close to 70 mph. Luckily I noticed the car didn't feel right on decel so I was already heading towards the shoulder or it could have been a serious disaster. I don't know for sure if it was the fluid or just coincidence but I would not trust some "experimental" fluid in my car.
      2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse
      Fabspeed Headers | Euro Sec 1 | OE Sec 2 | Scorpion Sec 3 | Beisan | Mini Battery | Fortune Auto 7k/12k | Hotchkis Front SB | Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 | Yellow Tag Rack

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
      Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

UUC may be worse than VAC. 😳

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

UUC. like paying someone to abuse you.

Comment

Just do stock. I have a good steel SMF and I think about going back to stock sometimes. Stock is cheap and will handle hard driving just fine.

Also, UUC sucks. One upon a time I had a really modded Imola E39 M5 with a single mass flywheel (which I think is an 850 csi OEM kit or something) and when it came time to replace the clutch, there was no clutch available, you just have to buy the whole flywheel and clutch all over again.
            Last edited by EthanolTurbo; 01-15-2024, 11:51 AM.
            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
              Do not, DO NOT put any UUC parts on your car. You'll be sorry.
              I live 10min away from the UUC warehouse/store, went to buy endlinks and left after 5 minutes, fck that dude, cant stand him.

Comment

I have used some stuff from UUC that is good and always had good customer service.

However, if you want a light SM FW an Aluminum one with bolt on friction surface would not be optimum.

Comment

I didn't know UUC still existed

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                    I didn't know UUC still existed
                    UUC is not the owner's primary source of income (when I was at his store, I overheard him talking about where he makes his money from). Hence, I believe that is the reason why everything he sells and his buyers' experience is shty, because he doesn't care or need to care.

Comment

Originally posted by Stilt View Post

I live 10min away from the UUC warehouse/store, went to buy endlinks and left after 5 minutes, fck that dude, cant stand him.
                      Thank god yo he never called me.
                      Everybody's give me the advice. I knew already. but I highly suspected the answer to my question when I asked it. I can't thank you enough for reaffirming my gut feeling.

Comment

Working...
                      X