Exhaust Hanger Studs Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Hanger Studs Broken

While removing an aftermarket muffler that came on my car when I bought it, I discovered only 2 exhaust hangers holding it up. The driver side rear hanger was missing. In addition to that, the hanger studs that go up into the floor were broken and missing so I can’t install a new hanger without replacing the studs. Does anyone know the part number for the studs? There are 2 for each hanger. Tried realoem and could not find them.

I also was surprised the exhaust was on the car straight with a missing hanger. I imagine that puts extra stress on the remaining two hangers so I’d like to fix it.
    Last edited by BlackM3Comp; 01-26-2024, 04:19 PM.

Originally posted by BlackM3Comp View Post
    the hanger studs that go up into the floor were broken and missing so I can’t install a new hanger without replacing the studs. Does anyone know the part number for the studs? There are 2 for each hanger. Tried realoem and could not find them..
    Do you see the threaded holes for the missing studs? I thought these are welded to the floor. If there are threaded holes, then just use 13mm bolts instead of nuts and studs.

Comment

Yes, from my understanding the studs are welded in. The hole is damaged and oblong so it needs to be fixed.

Comment

Part number for the driver sides rear 2 studs is 41122494844
        It’s a small bracket that is spot welded with 4 spot welds to the body.

​You could drill out the spot welds from the top, drop the new part in and perhaps epoxy it to the body, might not even be needed as gravity holds it in fine.

I personally drilled out the spot welds on mine from the bottom, to create through holes, then dropped in the new part and welded it to the car, it doesn’t take much skill.

Alternatively you could also drill out the studs and just insert bolts instead.
        E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
        E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
        E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Comment

I recently had the same issue and found the part on ebay. Pretty easy install, it's tack welded in and inserts through the floor pan from above.

Comment

This is more difficult than I thought. My bracket is covered in undercoating. Anyone know where the spot welds are that I need to drill? Picture of new bracket included.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackM3Comp View Post
                This is more difficult than I thought. My bracket is covered in undercoating. Anyone know where the spot welds are that I need to drill? Picture of new bracket included.
                Strange, there was absolutely no undercoating in that location on mine.

You should get a wire wheel for on a drill, it makes quick work of undercoating removal, after that you should see dimples of where the spot welds are, I drew them in your picture where they should be.

Attached Files
                E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
                E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
                E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Thanks for the response! Definitely a prior repair of some sort, I’ll pick up a wire wheel and give it another go soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X