Here’s a solution to mount any strut brace on 2001 front strut towers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
    Alright so, my car has bumps on the passenger side tower, and the driver's side is flat. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here.
    Oh my. Are you the original owner? Because that sounds like someone replaced the tower with later model part.
    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

PO probably blew one out…just think “it’s a track car” and all will be well

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
        PO probably blew one out…just think “it’s a track car” and all will be well
        Blew one out? Probably the car was involved in a front collision and they had to replace a shock tower, fender, …

But yes, at this point it will never be a collectible, just see it as a track car is a good advice!
        Last edited by Gt4; 02-19-2024, 12:29 AM.
        2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
        2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
        2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

Blew one out? Probably the car was involved in a front collision and they had to replace a shock tower, fender, …

But yes, at this point it will never be a collectible, just see it as a track car is a good advice!
          Dude, the guy does not need anymore news like this

I'm weighing my options.

1. Repair floor and add basic reinforcements to the 4 mounting points. $
          2. Repair floor and modify roll bar to weld in with boxed feet. $$
          3. Sell roll bar for a loss and go with an integrated weld in half cage. $$$
          4. Push car into ocean. Free

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

This car is a good candidate for acid dip than restoration! It would reveal all the previous work on this car.
            2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
            2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
            2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
              Oh my. Are you the original owner? Because that sounds like someone replaced the tower with later model part.
              Yea no, I am not the original owner. I was 16 when these cars came out haha. And I think you are right, the car has known accident history, and all sorts of other lovely surprises that have made themselves known over time.

And yea, it's going to be a track car anyway so it's "fine" but I am just amazed by the way some people care for and repair cars.

So now, I feel like I should put the spacer on the flat side anyway so it's the same height as the bumpy side. How stupid though
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

This car is a good candidate for acid dip than restoration! It would reveal all the previous work on this car.
                I'll sell it to you LOL
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

I'm pretty much used to it now lol. I'm not even mad when I find some more stupid ass problems on the car, It's just like, yea, of course it would have that. Because why wouldn't it.
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I'm pretty much used to it now lol. I'm not even mad when I find some more stupid ass problems on the car, It's just like, yea, of course it would have that. Because why wouldn't it.
                    It's even worse when the previous owner swears up and down that the car is in tip-top shape. I am still solving mysterious gremlins from previous owners.

Comment

Originally posted by inlinesix123 View Post

It's even worse when the previous owner swears up and down that the car is in tip-top shape. I am still solving mysterious gremlins from previous owners.
                      Oh totally. Not to sidetrack the thread even more, but my car even had a PPI by a "reputable" shop. There are some things you can never know until you start taking the car apart. But they missed some big ones. But you can't ignore the other side of the coin either, I never noticed the shock tower thing until yesterday, because I had no reason to notice. All I can say is, I will be looking at things completely differently when searching for my next car.
                      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Oh totally. Not to sidetrack the thread even more, but my car even had a PPI by a "reputable" shop. There are some things you can never know until you start taking the car apart. But they missed some big ones. But you can't ignore the other side of the coin either, I never noticed the shock tower thing until yesterday, because I had no reason to notice. All I can say is, I will be looking at things completely differently when searching for my next car.
                        100%
                        PPI's are good, but, for cars that you intend to keep, it needs a different level of detail. I will literally measure all the panels now with a paint thickness tester and trust but verify lol. If they tell me it was done but i don't have the receipt, then it wasn't done.

Comment

Awesome suggestion OP.
                          My friend had this issue when installing the ECSTune carbon intake, the bar was just scraping the top of the intake. He ended up using washers underneath lol
                          Last edited by inlinesix123; 02-19-2024, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X