What is this module under the GM5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this module under the GM5?

What is this black module below gm5? It doesn’t look like factory wiring connector and the ground was attached to the little metal prongs with a self-tapping screw. The module is stuck pretty good with some adhesive.

Aftermarket theft recovery device is my guess
    2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
    2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Definitely not factory.

Some kind of tracker I'd agree.

Comment

Had the same exact module in my car in the same spot. If I recall, one of the two wires went to tap into power (gr/rd) and the other wire was routed under passenger side airbag which was an antenna. Needless to say, I ripped both out with extreme prejudice.

My guess is that 10-15 years ago when the car was fairly new there was probably a popular aftermarket head unit that came with all of this crap. If you open up that module, you'll find a rechargeable battery in there so probably something to do with alarm/tracking as others have mentioned.
        /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by inline.6 View Post
          What is this black module below gm5? It doesn’t look like factory wiring connector and the ground was attached to the little metal prongs with a self-tapping screw. The module is stuck pretty good with some adhesive.
          Where did you buy the car? There are plenty of used car lots that install kill switches mixed with a GPS tracker for later Repo. Auctions sometimes install trackers as well. It is VERY unlikely(not impossible) that a private owner installed that because most of these devices are only available and marketed for those with a dealer's license.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

Where did you buy the car? There are plenty of used car lots that install kill switches mixed with a GPS tracker for later Repo. Auctions sometimes install trackers as well. It is VERY unlikely(not impossible) that a private owner installed that because most of these devices are only available and marketed for those with a dealer's license.
            I’m pretty sure my car lived at CarMax at some point. Man, that was difficult to type out haha. Definitely gonna rip that out ASAP

Comment

Originally posted by inline.6 View Post

I’m pretty sure my car lived at CarMax at some point. Man, that was difficult to type out haha. Definitely gonna rip that out ASAP
              Carmax buys cars from auction often. I never knew anyone that worked as a mechanic there but I've not seen any GPS devices installed by them. We have one next to our dealership and they send cars over sometimes. It could just be a case by case basis depending on what the local GM decides.
              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
              X