Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Shift Refresh / selector issue help

Hi everyone,

Long story short I let my GF shift while I was driving and I'm pretty sure my shift set-up is now somewhat broken. TBF we were a little rowdy, not her fault.

Specifically, when I shift into 1st, 3rd, or 5th, there's a little more "throw" than there used to be. I can select the gear and push the shifter/selector as far as it *should* go, and still can push it another inch or two forward from there. This wasn't happening before. Also, the shifter sort of rises a touch [when pushed further forward], and I can push it back down, or if I disengage the clutch, it gets pulled back to normal position. So, here we are. I have two questions:

(1) Does it sound like I need to do a shift kit refresh? M3 only has 92500 miles, and everything was fine before. Ofc, I haven't gone and jacked the car up etc to verify. But does it sound like it's only a clip that came loose? Or should I send it and just do the refresh?

(2) I was considering a shift kit anyway, though I'd prefer to just fix it if it's able to be fixed in the meantime. Let's suppose it needs a full refresh /or/ I'm going to just do the refresh regardless. I'm wondering if the parts I have below are everything I need. So far I have:
    - Dinan short shift kit (FCPEuro, https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-kit-d550-1004) [open to suggestions if this isn't the best choice]
    - Shift bushing kit (FCPEuro, https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-e46m3shiftkit)
    - Selector rod dowel pin (FCPEuro, https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...in-23411466134) [not sure I need this, but saw it listed on a different forum]
    - Giubo and bolts (FCPEuro, https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...e-3141522112hd) [might as well]

- I'll also need exhaust gaskets, but not sure which. RealOEM isn't super clear here. Exhaust bolts too? Or can I reuse those?
    - Should I do hangers if I'm already there?

- Am I missing anything else?

If it's helpful, I'll take a video and post it but I hope I've described the problem enough to get some feedback.

Thanks y'all long live the forum.

sleepy

Does the shifter move down if you press on it directly downward? The rear shifter bushing carrier ripped out on my car with just regular use (and a poly bushing installed), so maybe just bad timing and same thing happened on yours?
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

If you are planning to go that far into it then you should just take it apart and diagnose it, then order parts. Some of the parts you have listed your will find out you likely don't need.
      '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

heinzboehmer no, it doesn't move down.

George Hill fair point, I might do so this weekend. I had planned to do a shifter refresh anyway, so I'd rather just replace wear-parts while I'm there.

Thanks both

Comment

I have the same issue with the travel in 1/3/5 being longer than in 2/4/6 and 2nd and 3rd being quite grumpy along with a reverse that pops out though I suspect those are a different issue. I did recently refresh mine with all new bushings so not sure what else it could be. I've a Rogue SSK.

Comment

Here's a list of everything I ordered for the job, will update if anything isn't necessary for a full rebuild.

(1) BMW Manual Transmission Shift Bushing Kit
            KIT-E46M3SHIFTKIT​

(1) BMW Manual Transmission selector Rod Dowel Pin
            BMW-23411466134​

(1) BMW Drive Shaft Flex Disc (Giubo)
            FEB-26148​

(6) BMW Flex Joint Lock Nut
            BMW-26127536563​

(6) BMW Drive Shaft Flex Joint Bolt
            BMW-26117523709​

(2) BMW Exhaust Seal Ring
            HJS-83121834​

(4) BMW Exhaust Flange Nut
            BMW-18301317898​

(4) BMW Torx Bolt
            BMW-11621318568​

Also got:

(2) BMW Street Density Transmission Mount
            MTO-0345094050SD​

and:

(1) BMW Manual Transmission Short Shift Kit
            DIN-D5501004​

Comment

Okay, problem is not yet solved. Still hard to shift into R, 1, 3, and 5...

Did the work today, took me a very long time but I was by myself working on jack stands. The only part I wish I had were the nuts for the transmission mounts. Soft as hell, I nearly stripped both tops trying to get it loose. You'd need 4, 2 top and 2 bottom for each mount.

Comment

Working...
              X