Stripped threads on rear trailing arm pocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped threads on rear trailing arm pocket

I have a problem, stripped out threads for one of my rear trailing arm pockets. When I was disassembling the car, one of the bolts just like, fell out. 😐🤦🏻‍♂️

My thoughts were, maybe this can be addressed with a new thread insert, to avoid cutting out the whole pocket and putting a new/used partial panel in. Thoughts…? I found a highly regarded alignment shop who also suggested trying this as a viable option.​ What do we think about that?
    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

TIS info -

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 1.png
Views:	279
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	256721

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 2.png
Views:	275
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	256722

Thought that they would recommend a Timesert.
    Last edited by Slideways; 03-07-2024, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I have new rear trailing arms pockets if you want

If you plan to track the car, I would put new one and weld the perimeter also

I am selling brand new rear trailing arms pockets. Saved them from the new RACP I bought to fix my LSB. Perfect if you have stripped thread in your actual RTA pockets. You just need to remove sealer, drill spot welds and weld these new ones in place. Price: $200 shipping included
      Last edited by Gt4; 03-07-2024, 05:24 PM.
      2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
      2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
      2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
        I have new rear trailing arms pockets if you want

If you plan to track the car, I would put new one and weld the perimeter also

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ng-arms-pocket
        Ugh...I was prepping to weld the pockets, took a look and realized I really should drop the gas tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
          I have a problem, stripped out threads for one of my rear trailing arm pockets. When I was disassembling the car, one of the bolts just like, fell out. 😐🤦🏻‍♂️
          If only the threads are stripped but surrounding not rotted, then I would try to install a Timesert. What do you see -- crossed threads or overtorqued and stripped?

Comment

I'd choose a timesert over a helicoil as well. Those bolts see a lot of fastening/unfastening cycles.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Don't track the car without full confidence on RTAB pocket integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
                Don't track the car without full confidence on RTAB pocket integrity.
                I'm about to install some monoball RTABs and was planning to reinforce the RTAB mounting points to prevent this... https://youtu.be/J4zPECASIrs I was going to just weld around the bolt holes but found a reinforcement plate from Garagistic. Looks like this ties in all 3 threaded inserts to the plate and then weld the plate to
                2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Alrighty thank you guys. It sounds like the RTAB pocket reinforcement is optional/advisable for certain cars but not absolutely required. I think I'm going to go with the timesert option for now so I can have the car drivable. I would consider doing the reinforcement in the not too distant future as I have another repair that needs to happen in that general area.
                  http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                  '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                  X