Aftermarket Sound System with AVIN AVANT 4 Head Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Sound System with AVIN AVANT 4 Head Unit

Curious what audio set up folks are using with the AVANT4 head unit and how you have it set up. Specifically, folks that are simply using the speaker level outputs in the trunk to an aftermarket amplifier because that's probably the route I'm going to take. I prefer not to run RCA cables to the trunk. I intend to make an PnP adapter to an aftermarket amp with speaker level inputs.

Which amp(s) are you using? I want to fit it in or around the stock location so that it's not visible. Therefore it can't be a huge amp.

For speakers I'm considering BAVSOUND or some MB Quart component BMW specific speakers mainly due to ease of installation / fit. I'm open to other speaker options if they're going to sound much better and don't require too much more work other than perhaps an adapter plate. I already have PnP speaker connectors.

I have non-HK and intend to retrofit the HK sub basket with 6x9 by either Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, or CDT Carbon...anyone have experience with more than one of those that can opine on which is better? Those seem to be the 3 folks are using based on my research.

I essentially want a noticeably better sounding system but still look stock. Not interested in custom sub-boxes or "car show" set ups.

I have the Avant 4 and was thinking after its install to then go with aftermarket sound/speakers/amp, etc. As soon as I installed the headunit my stock speakers sounded SO much better, so for me, I decided I didn't need anything more as what was in there was already so much better. The bass was so much better, tweeter's were so much clearer - the amp in the Avant 4 just brought the system back to life. That's only my input. If you really want to go louder and much clearer as an aftermarket setup would do, then of course there's that route. Granted - I've not heard a Bavsound system in our cars so I don't have experience there either, just my 2 cents with my total shift in the aftermarket speaker world after hearing the Avant 4 installed in my car
    Last edited by ChapterM3; 03-07-2024, 09:15 PM.
    - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

Originally posted by ChapterM3 View Post
      I have the Avant 4 and was thinking after its install to then go with aftermarket sound/speakers/amp, etc. As soon as I installed the headunit my stock speakers sounded SO much better, so for me, I decided I didn't need anything more as what was in there was already so much better. The bass was so much better, tweeter's were so much clearer - the amp in the Avant 4 just brought the system back to life. That's only my input. If you really want to go louder and much clearer as an aftermarket setup would do, then of course there's that route. Granted - I've not heard a Bavsound system in our cars so I don't have experience there either, just my 2 cents with my total shift in the aftermarket speaker world after hearing the Avant 4 installed in my car
      Fully agreed. My HK speakers sounded broken with the factory head unit, I was sure I'd need to replace them all. After installing Avin Avant, the difference was unbelievable. Both the lows and the highs came to life, the sound was crisp and the bass was excellent. I see no need to upgrade the speakers unless they deteriorate from age/elements (they are made of paper and 20 years old at this point).

On my 325i, I have a standard sound system (6 speakers, no amp) and even with Avin Avant 4, the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. I'm replacing the speakers with Alpine type-E which are designed as OEM replacements and a perfect match for the 4 channel output of the Avant 4. I also plan on adding a JBL sub that fits in the spare tire ( https://www.jbl.com/subwoofer-soluti...SSPRO+HUB.html ). Beauty of this sub is that it's not visible, doesn't take up any useful space (unlike the OE HK subs which hang off the rear parcel shelf and take up space - I can't fit a full size beach cooler in my trunk because of them) and it can use either line-level or speaker-level inputs. Personally, I'll run the RCA and remote line from the Avant 4 in order to have independent control of the sub from the Avant 4. This sub is only 300W RMS but JBL has another 600W RMS option which is passive and requires an external amp but exactly same size and fits in the spare tire - https://www.jbl.com/STADIUMBASSHUB.html.

I'll try the active 300RMS sub first and if I find it too weak (I have a non-folding rear seat with a steel bulkhead behind the backrest and it's possible I won't hear much bass), I'll change it to the 600RMS version with a compact external amp, also installed out of sight in the factory amp location. Here's a complete 600W RMS kit on e-bay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/29481702811...Bk9SR8D3m-jDYw

I'll report back with results though it might be a while before I get time to complete this project.

PS. I just remembered that the M3 doesn't have a full spare tire compartment so the above JBL products probably wouldn't work for the M3. There are other similar subs though which are probably compact enough to fit inside the M3 cavity once you remove the air compressor and the foam - here's an example: https://mm.jbl.com/car-subwoofers/BASSPRO+SL2-.html
      Last edited by PetrolM3; 03-08-2024, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Have an Audison Prima 8ch DSP amp in stock location (left rear pass. panel. Even fits in stock bracket
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9091.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	256788 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9092.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	256789

Comment

Originally posted by genesis View Post
          Have an Audison Prima 8ch DSP amp in stock location (left rear pass. panel. Even fits in stock bracket
          Do you have independent SW control?

That to me is the key to OP's question: (1) I don't know if you can get independent SW control off the factory speaker level outputs. I didn't try; (2) most people who are thinking this hard about the question will almost certainly want independent SW control; and even if not (3) RCA will sound better if you care about sound quality -- and as usual, the better cabling, the better sound.

There's a LOT more wrong with these systems than old paper speakers or not enough volume. And usually you find this out as soon as you hook an amp up to the speaker level outputs (noise, distortion, thin colored sound, all the usual suspects).

PRO TIP: If you're playing wax at home, you need to run those RCA cables buddy. But then the Avin probably won't be for you either.

maw
          Last edited by maw1124; 03-08-2024, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9091.jpg Views:	17 Size:	110.4 KB ID:	256788 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9092.jpg Views:	16 Size:	116.4 KB ID:	256789
            Very nice! What speakers are you running? Which headunit?

Which car is that in? It doesn't look like how my coupe is set up.
            Last edited by I M Legend; 03-08-2024, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I cannot believe that AVIN or any other Chinese headunit sounds anywhere remotely close to how the OEM headunit sounds.
              I've had them all, all of them sound worse than OEM hk headunit just my 5c

Comment

Originally posted by ChapterM3 View Post
                I felt the same way after I installed the AVANT 4 but now I'm looking for some more clarity and bass.

Comment

My upgrade path was: (1) more clarity from BavSound speakers and SW (convertible); then (2) more control with new head unit; then (3) more power with cabin amp. So now the head unit drives a 4 channel amp for the cabin BavSound speakers + a mono amp for the BavSound SW. The amps required a rewire so I just bit that bullet. But now I’m over the hump. New components no problem, the wires are all there.

OP has to figure out this SW issue and that will drive everything else. He may or may not need more power because Coupe not Convertible. With the top down the factory system has zero chance.

maw
                  Last edited by maw1124; 03-08-2024, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by inlinesix123 View Post
                    I cannot believe that AVIN or any other Chinese headunit sounds anywhere remotely close to how the OEM headunit sounds.
                    I've had them all, all of them sound worse than OEM hk headunit just my 5c
                    Sure, if your stock amp in your stock head unit was functioning properly, then for sure I could see your perspective - but for us who didn't have that same experience, such as myself, the Avin made a massive difference in sound quality with the stock speakers

Could you make a DIY on this or a thread with more info on this? This looks great, curious how you did it all!
                    - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

My full set up:
                      Sony XAV AX6000
                      Audison Prima components + (1) 10" sub
                      Audison Prima 8.9 8ch amp+dsp
                      Rockford Fosgate 300w mono amp for sub (Audison was out of stock at time)

Full active setup, sub has separate RF control knob
                      car is an '04 convertible

All work was done by Speed of Sound in Milford CT
                      ​​​​

Comment

All work was done by Speed of Sound in Milford CT
                        ​​​​
                        That's more or less THE setup if you don't need the head unit to look factory. And these guys are the real stars here. You want professional installers who live the work, whatever you do. I just did what my guys suggested given my choices, and the sound deadening on the convertible doors and floors was the best money spent.

maw

EDIT... FWIW, Hertz and Audison are more or less the same company, and the BavSound sub was a 300w mono Rockford white label... so there's not a lot of difference between this setup and mine with a Dynavin N7 pro up front. If that ever fails, I'm sure Sony or Alpine will do the trick. Head units are basically a DAC pre-amp with CarPlay these days anyway.
                        Last edited by maw1124; 03-09-2024, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X