No announcement yet.

Rear diff. bushings AKG vs RE vs Revshift vs Condor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting those make such a noticeable difference. I guess I've been riding with more NVH all along, since I pulled out all the dry rotted rear bench insulation and am missing the trunk carpet.

In that case seems like if I end up going 80a poly on the rear diff a decent buffer would be some light insulation on the rear bench and maybe a little extra around the trunk liner.
    '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
    All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Here’s a video of the clunking sounds:

http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/myqqn...9nqcjaxjs&dl=0
        Something sounds like it is not fully torqued down on the subframe or rear diff.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Something sounds like it is not fully torqued down on the subframe or rear diff.
          Yea it’s kind of driving me insane because it appears that everything is tight. However tomorrow, I’m going under there again to triple check. Feel like my whole world is upside down right now and I’m losing my mind, it’s very possible I’m missing something obvious.
          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Yea it’s kind of driving me insane because it appears that everything is tight. However tomorrow, I’m going under there again to triple check. Feel like my whole world is upside down right now and I’m losing my mind, it’s very possible I’m missing something obvious.
            Sounds just like my car. Im pulling everything out and checking bolts as i go, havent found anything loose yet. From reading about the diff itself, seems like most of the noise must be coming from my diff being worn out. I was told that my diff was loose when getting an alignment, i havent been able to find anything wrong yet though. I can only assume its something really dumb and it will take me removing and installing the whole rear end to find it…

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

+ 1. I had a very similar noise that I chased for a while. Turned out that the bolts that attach the rear lower control arm to the subframe had come loose.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

+ 1. I had a very similar noise that I chased for a while. Turned out that the bolts that attach the rear lower control arm to the subframe had come loose.
                I just had an alignment done, so all of those fasteners are good, plus the sound was the same before and after. I made a thread with a couple videos. It feels to me like it’s play in the diff or driveshaft. Maybe it’s typical backlash and I just underestimated how much the sound would change by doing all the stuff I did.
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I just had an alignment done, so all of those fasteners are good, plus the sound was the same before and after. I made a thread with a couple videos. It feels to me like it’s play in the diff or driveshaft. Maybe it’s typical backlash and I just underestimated how much the sound would change by doing all the stuff I did.
                  Probably worth putting a wrench on all the fasteners back there just to double check
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Probably worth putting a wrench on all the fasteners back there just to double check
                    Oh indeed. I checked everything I can access without dropping the exhaust. I’m sending the car away tomorrow for something unrelated, will pick this all back up in a few weeks. Luckily my other car has problems I can focus on so I don’t get bored 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/myqqn...9nqcjaxjs&dl=0

That sound would drive me nuts 🥜 ^ I pray when I get back to the states next week my new bushings (AKG) doesn’t make a similar sound

Comment

Originally posted by x X Cloud X x View Post

That sound would drive me nuts 🥜 ^ I pray when I get back to the states next week my new bushings (AKG) doesn’t make a similar sound
                        At this point the feeling seems to be that my issue is not just the normal sounds from a correctly installed a poly mount. Going to have to look at it more carefully this weekend when I have some time to get under there.
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Just got the M3 back last week with the new akg bushings and oem rear diff fluid and thank god no weird noises or vibrations. The M is driving very smoothly and the acceleration from the c/f d.s was worth every dam penny 🤑

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

There's no NEED to upgrade anything. OEM headers, wheels, exhaust, etc...​

Yes, upgraded responsiveness, and, theoretically at least, much longer life.
                            In this case, poly might last a little longer but you they still need periodic replacement. All the while, poly adds noise and still allows for excessive movement. And OMFG if the damn poly bushing starts squeaking. Worst material to choose from between rubber, solid, and poly in just about every situation.

You can upgrade from OEM....but poly is not one of them. Its like...let's take the worst characteristics, put them all in one part, and call it an upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                            X