Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dinan Section 3 + SS Non-Resonated Section 2 = Not Compatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinan Section 3 + SS Non-Resonated Section 2 = Not Compatible?

Hi all -

Did some searching on Dinan Section 3 fitment issues and couldn’t find much. I tried to affix a Dinan Section 3 to my SS Non-Resonated Section 2 and it just would not fit into the receptacle. I measured the outer diameter of the SS pipe and measured 60.85MM, inner diameter of the Dinan Section 3 was 60.15MM. Obviously the math proves that the Dinan cannot accept the SS pipe, but has anyone else experienced this?

I pulled off an Eisenmann Race Section 3 and the inner diameter was 61.50MM so of course the SS Section 2 fit. Stock Section 2 outer diameter is 60.40MM.

David

Did you try the DINAN muffler with the stock section 2 just to see if it would fit? The muffler was designed to work with the stock exhaust.

Comment

Yes - fits just fine on the stock exhaust which is also quite perplexing. I’m using a caliper so I’m sure there is still some margin of error not getting the perfect diameter, but just strange since I know a few people that have run SS Section 2 63.5MM piping without issue.

Comment

Ah bummer david!

OR you can trade me your Eisenmann Race for my Eisenmann sport because you were SO right that it is too quiet. =) I should've just bought your ER muffler!

I hope you get thing sorted with your exhaust!

Comment

To be clear, are we talking SS dual pipe sect 2 or y pipe aka x pipe?

There's no known reason those 2 pieces wouldn't accept the Dinan muffler. And if someone is thinking that the dual pipe might be too big, remember, the dinan is also 63.5mm.

Something's not working for you, but it will be user error or some unique problem with one or both pieces. I've owned or have worked on just about every exhaust part out there. I had no issues with Dinan muffler, ss x pipes or dual pipe sect 2.

While the SS dual pipe is oversized to 63.5mm od, it still steps down to a smaller OD at the end where it slips into (any) muffler including stock.

Only 1 pipe slips into a muffler, not both.

If it really is a case of sect 2 pipe being too large (or dinan being too small) try sanding down the end of sect 2 where it would slip into muffler. And/or sanding the inside of the correct dinan inlet.

Lastly, SS dual pipe is known to have some fitment issues due to its size. Perhaps it's making contact with something and causing a bad angle for you to try and slip Dinan onto?
          Last edited by Tbonem3; 03-20-2024, 04:58 PM.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Right - thanks for that Tyler. This is the SS dual pipe Section 2, 63.5MM.

I picked up the Dinan for a full 63.5MM setup. Pulled the Eisenmann Race off, jacked the Dinan exhaust up to line up the pipes, tried to slide the longer end into the Dinan inlet… no dice. Tried to change the angle, removed the hangers, tried again, loosened the Section 2 from the support brackets. Nada.

Mated the Dinan to the stock Section 2 just fine. Scratched my head. Mated the Eisenmann Race to the Stock Section 2 and it naturally fit with room to spare. Tried the Dinan again on the SS Section 2. Didn’t fit. Tried the Eisenmann Race and it fit without hesitation. It was at this point that I decided to measure the inner diameters and outer diameter for the Section 2 step down and noticed it was larger.

I’m going to take the exhaust to a muffler shop and have them expand the inlet ever so slightly and see if that solves the problem (it should).

David
            Last edited by davidinnyc; 03-20-2024, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I'm running the Dinan muffler with the SS 63.5 non resonated section 2.

Unfortunately I didn't install it, but my shop didn't mention anything, and I feel like they definitely would have brought it up if it didn't fit.

Strange.
              2004 Dinan S3-R M3
              2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Before I go and have the SS pinched/sanded or the Dinan expanded/sanded, I'm going to remove the Section 2 and try to assemble on the ground and off the car, with pictures and video. Definitely odd.

David

Comment

Found this pic online. The Dinan piece doesn't seem to neck-down to fit the factory section 2 anywhere I can see. That being said, when I bought the car it had the factory section 2, so IDK how that worked.
                  2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                  2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

It's not the Sect 3 that steps down, it's the end of sect 2, the inside pipe slips into sect 3 and the other side butts up to sect 3 bell flange, with a donut ring used to seal.

There are sect 3s that step down, but that's becuase they are 60mm. Dinan is 63.55, so it doesn't step down.

The dinan pictured above looks exactly like the 63.5mm scorza or scza look. No issue at all, normal.
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I'm going to take some photos with the calipers today when I remove everything. I promise I'm not crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by davidinnyc View Post
                        I'm going to take some photos with the calipers today when I remove everything. I promise I'm not crazy!

It should work, so it could just be that that batch of section 2s has a tolerance issue.
                        Last edited by Slideways; 03-21-2024, 12:38 PM.

Comment

FWIW I had a supersprint section 2, though a resonated x-pipe fitted to my car a couple of years ago, and one pipe was off, but not by so much it wasn't possible to force it onto section 3.Click image for larger version

Name:	Supersprint2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	258524
                          OEM section 3:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Supersprint3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	258525
                          I had a local shop cut a slit in the offending pipe to realign and reweld. Not sure why this was as IMO Supersprint should be a renowned manufacturer. Eisenmann Section 3 here:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Supersprintfix2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	258526 Click image for larger version

Name:	Supersprintfix1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	258527 Click image for larger version

Name:	Supersprintfix5.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	258528 Click image for larger version

Name:	Supersprintfix3.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	258529 Click image for larger version

Name:	Supersprintfix4.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	258530

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post
                            FWIW I had a supersprint section 2, though a resonated x-pipe fitted to my car a couple of years ago, and one pipe was off, but not by so much it wasn't possible to force it onto section 3.
                            Regards
                            Even SS's early version of that resonated x-pipe had that issue. They probably won't do it at this stage, but their jig might need an adjustment.

Comment

I have SS V1s, catted section 1, oversized resonated section 2 bolted to a dinan section 3 with no issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X