CSL airbox OE filter not sealing tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL airbox OE filter not sealing tight

Just started tearing the engine apart for my rod bearings and took off the Haimus CSL airbox last night to get to the engine mount nut

When taking the OE CSL air filter off, I noticed extra road debris jammed under the filter in the back corner. Most of the big debris I scooped out before taking the filter off, but these smaller debris were sitting under the filter between the box an filter, indicating a gap in this area

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6897.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.4 KB ID:	260728

Then I noticed more fine particles like silicon/silicium (road sand/glass) finely coating the box towards the back, mostly around the crankcase breather hose and even coated behind the filter only in the same area

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6898.jpg Views:	0 Size:	191.4 KB ID:	260729

This is unsettling to know that there is a little gap in the filter foam surround and its resting nook in the back corner as it has been allowing fine particles to enter into the plenum, into the chamber for combustion, and down the oil line.

Not too concerned with the particles in the airbox currently, as whatevers been intaked already has been combusted and left the chambers, and I have spare oil vent lines that I'll be replacing, just going to have to spend an extra bit of time thoroughly cleaning

Before mentioning user install error, I always have inserted the air filter into the rear corner first, then pressed from rear to front.
    The filter even had such a tight fit that I had to use a pick to be able to pop a corner out when removing the filter, so there was no movement possibility.

This was a brand new install with the box, air filter, and all fittings bought from Haimus and been using for 4500 miles now

The question now is...was the Genuine CSL air filter a faulty one I received, or was it just my luck with the carbon box build being slightly off measurements

Has anyone else experienced or seen this yet?
    My plan of action was to simply clean up the filter, and adhere
    another stronger foam gasket around the perimeter for an even tighter seal
    Last edited by HennyM3; 04-09-2024, 08:26 AM.
    2004 Jet Black/Impulse Cloth Slicktop

If I had to place a bet, I'd say this is likely a Haimus QC flaw vs the OE filter.
    '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post
      If I had to place a bet, I'd say this is likely a Haimus QC flaw vs the OE filter.
      Yes, this could be true, I just changed the title so as to not make it seem more biased
      2004 Jet Black/Impulse Cloth Slicktop

Comment

I feel like I read another post on this forum that discussed Karbonius sending through a 3D-printed gap filler?

edit: OE filter used here as well: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...935#post257935

edit2: original thread by cubieman: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ack#post250239
        Last edited by davidinnyc; 04-09-2024, 09:01 AM.

Comment

My 2018 Karb box has this issue. Nothing some foam can fix.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
            My 2018 Karb box has this issue. Nothing some foam can fix.
            If only. It's a feature lol

OE CSL sandpit

Comment

So this is a normal occurrence with any CSL Airbox and shouldn't be worrying about as long as you're keeping things clean from time to time?

Comment

Same issue here with my 2022 Karb box. I added foam in these spots:
                Attached Files
                ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

I'll check my Karbonius box today when I get home - I just took delivery of it two weeks ago from the company.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

If only. It's a feature lol

OE CSL sandpit

Oops! Mine was never that bad. But cleaned it every oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
                      So this is a normal occurrence with any CSL Airbox and shouldn't be worrying about as long as you're keeping things clean from time to time?
                      This happens even on the stock airbox to a certain extent. The last higher mileage stock airbox I looked at had a medium film of oil and dust in it. The CSL filter material is not as dense as the stock filter, so it can let some small particles through. Not really an issue. If you start seeing pebbles, then you should check the filter or sealing area.

As mau said above, it is a good idea to vacuum the perimeter of the filter every so often as debris will gather there. When the airbox comes out, then you can do a full cleaning. NZ_M3 said he uses Simple Green and hoses down the airbox lol

Comment

Working...
                      X