HELP! Valve tick that will not go away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Valve tick that will not go away

Hi all, I've been chasing my tail with a very nasty valve tick for the better part of a year now. Hoping the collective knowledge here can help me find a solution. The tick is coming from exhaust valves on cylinder 6 - it sounds as though the valve clearance is significantly out of spec, even though it is well within spec. The car drives fine and doesn't feel down on power in any way.

I have gone as far as changing the cams and followers-- this motor has been through some hell in a previous life, and I was not sure the cams/followers were matched, so I swapped in a 68k mile matched set. That did not help.

I have also checked for exhaust leaks at the headers and found none.

Valve springs are intact and seem to be in good shape.

Compression test is good at 180psi across the board (the engine had the head gasket replaced and ARP head studs installed).

My question is - besides the valve lash and worn valvetrain, what else could be causing significant valvetrain noise? At this point I'm about ready to swap in a refreshed cylinder head, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Thanks in advance!!

How sure are you it's the valve train? How do you know it's #6? I presume you checked all the others for clearances?

Maybe put a recording up for others to hear? Often some people have different ideas of what something should sound like vs what it really does.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
      How sure are you it's the valve train? How do you know it's #6? I presume you checked all the others for clearances?

Maybe put a recording up for others to hear? Often some people have different ideas of what something should sound like vs what it really does.
      The tick is rpm dependent, and using the old screwdriver/stethoscope trick I was able to narrow it down to the cyl 6 exhaust side. I've been through the valve clearances multiple times on both sets of cams.

Short video here: https://youtu.be/FL4Ci5Vf7Wk?si=LxStkDnIadgjj_6v

Please let me know if the link doesn't work!
      Last edited by Str8f4c3; 04-14-2024, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I am unable to watch the video, perhaps put it on youtube?
        E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
        E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
        E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post
          I am unable to watch the video, perhaps put it on youtube?
          Thanks for letting me know!! I've updated the link in post #3 with a YouTube link, please let me know if it works!

Comment

I have an old video saved where my engine was making a similar noise, I played it back-to-back with yours and both the character and pace of the tick are identical.
            My tick was a very very worn rocker on cyl.5, exhaust side, a lof of material was missing for it to tick that bad.

Before you put in the new cams and rockers, did you carefully inspect all rockers? I could pick out the bad one every time, even with my eyes closed, purely by just feeling the curve with my finger, it's quite obvious, but to the naked eye it might not be as obvious.

Although a bit exaggerated, the red line below is what my rocker arm looked, or rather felt like, it's difficult to spot while still in the engine, but easily spotted when held on its side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	broken rocker arm.png
Views:	98
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	261286
            Last edited by bmwfnatic; 04-14-2024, 01:48 PM.
            E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
            E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
            E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post
              I have an old video saved where my engine was making a similar noise, I played it back-to-back with yours and both the character and pace of the tick are identical.
              My tick was a very very worn rocker on cyl.5, exhaust side, a lof of material was missing for it to tick that bad.

Before you put in the new cams and rockers, did you carefully inspect all rockers? I could pick out the bad one every time, even with my eyes closed, purely by just feeling the curve with my finger, it's quite obvious, but to the naked eye it might not be as obvious.

Although a bit exaggerated, the red line below is what my rocker arm looked, or rather felt like, it's difficult to spot while still in the engine, but easily spotted when held on its side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	broken rocker arm.png
Views:	98
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	261286
              Thank you!! I did carefully look at every rocker - both what came out of the engine and what I put back in. Everything looked good - my suspicion is that it's some other issue given that the tick still exists after swapping the rockers/cams, and since it seems to be coming from the same valve both before and after. That said, I will double check the rockers again by feel the next time I have the valve cover off (I'm sure that will be very soon LOL)

Comment

It does not sound that bad to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                X