subwoofer box dimension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

subwoofer box dimension

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has any idea if you can drop a aftermarket sub that still works with the factory subwoofer box. I recently purchased the Bavsound speakers for the car and want to also upgrade the subs to go along with the speakers. If anyone has any idea on what I should do please lmk, I am going towards a factory look and if I have to get a box, trying to find one very minimalistic. Thank You everyone!

There is no factory subwoofer, unless you're reffering to the HK 2 6x9 woofers in the little plastic housing under the rear parcel shelf. They don't play any real sub frequencies. They're weak rear fill.

I'd remove them and their little amp completely from the car. The doors' 6.25" woofers will play down to 80hz no problem, then get a proper 10 or 12" to handle below that. The shape/style of the box is up to you but the volume will matter and should be matched to the sub. I'd go with sealed. Something like .75-1 cubic feet for a 10".
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by menxzee View Post
      Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has any idea if you can drop a aftermarket sub that still works with the factory subwoofer box. I recently purchased the Bavsound speakers for the car and want to also upgrade the subs to go along with the speakers. If anyone has any idea on what I should do please lmk, I am going towards a factory look and if I have to get a box, trying to find one very minimalistic. Thank You everyone!
      Could do something like the old BSW box, and mount it to the top of the trunk, granted you don't run an x brace in the rear.

Comment

I kind of like this.

I know it says 06-10 but I'm sure you can bust it out with some card board, mdf, and jigsaw.

Comment

The 6x9s (even the factory hk ones) are actually pretty good unless you want the whole neighborhood to hear you. When I upgraded my amp with factory 6x9, I was impressed with how good they sounded, just couldn't handle much power.

I never got around to it but did want to upgrade them. If you go to Crutchfield there is a decent selection of 6x9, find one that plays as low as you can find (60hz is pretty decent for most music, a couple iirc go down to 30hz) and find a small 2 channel amp to match. I don't know what your taste is and these will never give you chest thumping bass but definitely more than decent, oem look and keeps your trunk neat.

Again, not sure about your style but most music (even bass heavy tracks) dont need 20-30hz. You need quality speakers that can handle good power and mounted properly.
          Last edited by Icecream; 04-21-2024, 09:33 AM.

Comment

After trying out the factory 6x9 location with upgraded 6x9 woofers I immediately took them out and purchased the Audison 10” powered sub below and its night and day difference.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyM340i View Post
              After trying out the factory 6x9 location with upgraded 6x9 woofers I immediately took them out and purchased the Audison 10” powered sub below and its night and day difference.

What 6x9s did you try and what amplifier?

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

What 6x9s did you try and what amplifier?
                I used CDT 6x9 in the link below and a small Alpine 500w amp.

Comment

It obviously depends on how much, if any, space youre willing to give up for sound. But you can build your own box for a shallow mount 10” sub, it can even fit behind the drivers seat if you dont need the backseats for anything. I suppose you could build one meant to attach to the bottom of the parcel shelf as well. Mine sits in my trunk because i havent figured out where i want it for sure, but its not very big and its never been an issue for trunk space

i never found the 6x9’s to be worth the effort to upgrade, based on their potential output vs a 10” sub, but thats just me. A decent pair of components up front and a sub for some low bass is perfect for this car, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post
                    It obviously depends on how much, if any, space youre willing to give up for sound. But you can build your own box for a shallow mount 10” sub, it can even fit behind the drivers seat if you dont need the backseats for anything. I suppose you could build one meant to attach to the bottom of the parcel shelf as well. Mine sits in my trunk because i havent figured out where i want it for sure, but its not very big and its never been an issue for trunk space

i never found the 6x9’s to be worth the effort to upgrade, based on their potential output vs a 10” sub, but thats just me. A decent pair of components up front and a sub for some low bass is perfect for this car, in my opinion.
                    This is what mine looks like, came with the car, along with an amp, not sure either are even wired correctly nor do I think they even work lol, problem to tackle for another day.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	455.3 KB ID:	262171

Comment

Originally posted by Stilt View Post

This is what mine looks like, came with the car, along with an amp, not sure either are even wired correctly nor do I think they even work lol, problem to tackle for another day.
                      That looks pretty nice! Definitely worth fixing if they dont work. It doesnt look like that eats up too much real estate i
                      either

Comment

I'm running this. I like it.

BMW - E46 M3 323 325 330 2Dr Coupes If you wish to buy this item with a subwoofer, click on the image and you will have additional purchase options.

2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                        2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                          I'm running this. I like it.

BMW - E46 M3 323 325 330 2Dr Coupes If you wish to buy this item with a subwoofer, click on the image and you will have additional purchase options.
                          I have one like this one for sale if you are interested. It's modeled off the wicked CAS box. Spec'd for a JL Audio 10W6v2 if I remember correctly.

Mike
                          02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
                          11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
                          16 X5

Comment

This is the Audison powered sub i installed. Wires are now covered so looks cleaner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5825.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	262187
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X