Ignition coil failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition coil failure?

Has anyone seen this happen to ignition coils before? I swapped to a new set after I found this but, I've never seen something like this happen. Also, no misfires, but kinda weird idle at times maybe?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20240405_060759699.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.7 KB ID:	261387
    Last edited by simonnim; 04-15-2024, 08:28 AM.

I'm pretty the set I purchased the car with had 3 of them looking like that, from what I gathered, it's normal for these cars. I replaced all 6 of mine because I wanted to refresh them anyway but it didn't give me any issues.

I'm curious if it's the heat that causes a few of them to deform because the plastic is hard and not disintegrated, it's just warped.

Which two cylinders did you pull those from Simon?

Comment

A few people have posted pictures like this of the original Bremi coils. Another person posted this SIB on another site:

SI B 12 24 05
      Engine Electrical Systems
      February 2006
      Technical Service

This Service Information Bulletin replaces S.I. B12 02 04 dated March 2005.

SUBJECT
      S54B32- Special Limited Ignition Coils Warranty of 8 Years/Unlimited Miles

MODEL
      MY '01, '02, '03 E46 - M3 coupe/convertible with S54 engine

MY '01, '02 E36/7 - M roadster/coupe with S54 engine

SITUATION
      BMW has become aware of a potential problem that could affect the durability of Bremi ignition coils of certain MY' 2001, 2002, and 2003 BMW automobiles equipped with the Motorsport S54B32 engines. We estimate that only a small percentage of vehicles will actually develop a problem. Affected vehicles may have a Service Engine Soon light illuminated with misfire faults stored in the Engine Control Module (DME) and a rough running complaint.

CORRECTION
      In the event that the Bremi ignition coils of a 2001, 2002, 2003 E46 (M3 coupe/convertible), or 2001, 2002 E36/7 (M roadster, M coupe) with S54B32 engine exhibit the symptoms of failure indicated above, they should be replaced with the improved ERA part (PN 12 13 7 551 260). For ignition coils replacing instruction refer to RA 12 13 511 found in BMW TIS.

PARTS INFORMATION
      Part Number
      Description
      Quantity
      12 13 7 551 260
      ERA coil
      Max 6
      WARRANTY INFORMATION
      As a commitment to our customers, and to demonstrate our confidence in our product, BMW will extend the warranty of the Bremi ignition coils from 4 years or 50,000 miles to 8 years and unlimited miles.

The warranty extension for this component applies to the above listed models only and is transferable to any subsequent purchaser of these models.

This extended warranty is applicable to vehicles registered in all 50 states.

Warranty coverage for all other parts is not affected.

BMW will inform all affected owners of the above listed models of their extended Bremi ignition coils warranty. A sample letter is attached.

The following Warranty Information should be used if Bremi ignition coils replacement becomes necessary as outlined above:

Defect Code
      12 13 93 14 00
      Replace Bremi ignition coils. Includes deleting any
      misfire fault codes stored in the Engine Control
      Module (ECM/DME)
      Main Work
      Labor Operation:
      Labor Allowance:
      00 54 124
      11 FRU - E46 M3 with S54
      8 FRU – E36/7 M roadster/coupe with S54
      +Associated Work
      Labor Operation:
      Labor Allowance:
      00 54 692
      9 FRU – E46 M3 with S54
      6 FRU – E36/7 M roadster/coupe with S54
      Note: The following explanations spell out the correct use of the work times.

Main Work:
      Use this labor operation number when the only repair performed is the listed warranty repair.
      OR
      +Associated Work:
      Use this labor operation number when other repairs or services are performed along with the listed warranty repair.
      Under no circumstances should both labor operation numbers be claimed. Attempts to claim both times will result in an unnecessary delay in claim processing and payment.​

Comment

I don't remember exactly but I think it was 6 and 4

Comment

A few of mine aren't this bad (without the yellowish colour) but look a little melted in places. I've never had any issues so far with them. They're the factory units (2004/08 build) at about 105000km in a pretty warm climate.

Comment

I swapped mine when I rebuild the engine. My previous coils have been on the car since before I owned it (10+ years) and they still look like new. They were Delphi.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Bumping this up … check out what I found …

Cylinder 6 coil looks like a corroded battery terminal. The other 5 were perfect. I replaced with one of the older Bosch one I had leftover. It's an Eldor (OE according to FCP)

Comment

Originally posted by BTB View Post
                Bumping this up … check out what I found …

Cylinder 6 coil looks like a corroded battery terminal. The other 5 were perfect. I replaced with one of the older Bosch one I had leftover. It's an Eldor (OE according to FCP)

BMW had dual source for these parts, Bosch and Delphi. Others may also produce quality parts, but they did not come factory equipped.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Everyone I've asked, the shop I work with, people who have done a lot of engine work have never seen coils like this before which is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by simonnim View Post
                    Has anyone seen this happen to ignition coils before? I swapped to a new set after I found this but, I've never seen something like this happen. Also, no misfires, but kinda weird idle at times maybe?
                    They were overheated by the ignition copper coils inside, but this only could happen if the DME circuit or firmware is not normal. Does it have stock DME code or tuned code? A very long dwell angle ignition timing could cause the overheat, or a "bad" DME doesn't turn off the coil driver chips with engine off key turned on, then they will be overheated or burnt coils.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

They were overheated by the ignition copper coils inside, but this only could happen if the DME circuit or firmware is not normal. Does it have stock DME code or tuned code? A very long dwell angle ignition timing could cause the overheat, or a "bad" DME doesn't turn off the coil driver chips with engine off key turned on, then they will be overheated or burnt coils.
                      As far as I know it's stock DME coding. Minus the 6MT swap coding.
                      Last edited by simonnim; 04-18-2024, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Yeah those would have to have been overheated from within, with i'd assume accompanied by bad misfires or hesitation. Valve cover would not cause that as there is an air gap. Can't say I've seen this before, so interesting.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X