Using racing harness on the street?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using racing harness on the street?

I am often finding myself bracing quite a lot to stay in a proper driving position during agresive canyon drives or quick spirited occasions.

i am using recaro pole positions ABE with stock 3 point belt. Seats are great, very snug fit, but when pushing a lot, hard braking, etc its not ideal.
    Was thinking recently if 4 point belt i am using for auto cross would not be solution for this. I know the environment and danger is completely different on the track and street and it may not be the best idea for safety reasons mainly.

But I would like to hear thoughts on this

4 point are not safe for the street, for the reason you know.

I'll suggest that you find a used (no longer in production) CG-Lock. They work.

Comment

Nope.

And get/use a HANS, even if autocrossing.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

If you're pushing so hard that a race harness becomes necessary to keep you in your bucket seats I would suggest that driving like that would be best kept for the track anyway.
        2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
        Build Thread:
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

I think you'd be fine using a Schroth quick fit. It is designed to work with the OE system and prevent submarining. You do run the risk of being held into the seat and your neck taking more force. It won't be as bad as on track with a helmet. You are relying on a 20+ year old airbag to work perfectly to help reduce some of the force on the next.

Typically, the biggest risk in a crash exiting the vehicle - could just be head or arm - and then contacting the pavement or a tree. I'd think twice about driving that aggressively on a public road which are generally not designed with any safety devices off the road.

Honestly, sounds kind of stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by karter16 View Post
            If you're pushing so hard that a race harness becomes necessary to keep you in your bucket seats I would suggest that driving like that would be best kept for the track anyway.
            Word, when I had the wide stock seat I enjoyed the quick fit as otherwise I'd be flopping around (though I ultimately didn't use it much as it's so inconvenient), but with a bucket seat there's basically no improvement of harness over stock belt. Not to mention it's a pain to get into, prevents you from being able to turn your neck and see etc

Comment

I only run a 6 point Schroth harness in my car. I deleted the stock seatbelts, mainly for weight savings.
              And since I deleted my airbags, the only way the car stays street legal in Germany is to run a harness.

But if you don't go for all the weight savings, there's no reason to run a harness on the street as said above, OE is much easier to get in and out.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X