Rust Correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust Correction

Background to why I just don't take it back to the shop for them to make it right (feel free to skip): My car was hit a little over a year ago, and due to wait periods for most shops in town- I opted for to go for one of the at-fault party's recommended shops that could take me in immediately (big mistake). The car was with them for about 6 months and since I've gotten it back, its been issue after issue (busted control arm wasn't replaced, missing trim and fasteners, loose side mirror, trim put back together with double-sided tape, hood misaligned and mechanism would bind, broken windshield washer pump glued back together [yes, that's right], etc.) I gave the shop an opportunity to make good on all of this last year while I was on a 3 week trip and when I returned, it turned out they hadn't touched the car and I had to bring it back- at which point they only rectified the control arm situation and didn't fix anything else and have since been dragging their feet at fixing the rest. I'm done- I don't trust this quality of workmanship or customer service to fix this and have since just been addressing these issues myself, which brings us here.

It looks like they did an equally piss poor job on sealing the seam between the replacement panel (4 or 5 here) and the greater wheel housing panel. What approach and products should I use here? Wire brush off the rust and then seam sealer (and which one)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0121.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	263298
    2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Look like the back side of a Mig weld that was not wire wheeled and primed.

Get a small straight wire brush for on a drill, make it nice and clean, touch it up with some paint, seam sealer isn’t really required here.
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

And please post the name of the shop so people don't go there. This is unacceptable.
      BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
        And please post the name of the shop so people don't go there. This is unacceptable.
        x1000 normalize shop and brand shaming, when warranted.
        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post
          Look like the back side of a Mig weld that was not wire wheeled and primed.

Get a small straight wire brush for on a drill, make it nice and clean, touch it up with some paint, seam sealer isn’t really required here.
          Thanks- good to know its not much more work than that to get it done right!

Fair enough I think.... CRC Collision
          Last edited by lemoose; 05-02-2024, 06:18 AM.
          2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post

Thanks- good to know its not much more work than that to get it done right!

Fair enough I think.... CRC Collision
            Should share you're experience and add to the "Shops to Avoid" thread.

Comment

TexaZ3 I can’t DM or post in the forum you made on restoration, but.. I’m interested in getting my side trim pieces refinished on my 2014 435i. The right side has some bubbling, figured might as well just redo them both. I actually live in Bedford, btw! If you can please DM me. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by aikido1983 View Post
                TexaZ3 I can’t DM or post in the forum you made on restoration, but.. I’m interested in getting my side trim pieces refinished on my 2014 435i. The right side has some bubbling, figured might as well just redo them both. I actually live in Bedford, btw! If you can please DM me. Thanks!
                PMed.
                BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

PMed.
                  Would you be able to PM me as well. I am not able to PM or post on the E46 M3 Trim restoration.

Thank you

Comment

PMed.
                    Would you actually be able to text me by any chance, although you've messaged me it keeps telling me i'm not authorized to reply for some strange reason... I've even email the admin multiple times and I haven't heard anything back

413-366-1652

Comment

Working...
                    X