AiM Dash Display install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

Traditionally the fuel level sensor signals are combined and routed from the AiM to the ground, I guess you would just jump them together at X1175 and then route to ground from that connector as well?

Same with the outside temp sensor as it doesn't just go to ground but the signal goes out and comes back to the cluster as well.
    Yeah, I will figure that out as I do the change.

I like the MXG as well, just put one in an E36, it is what I would put in my car too. Knowing you have to retain all of the OE functions adds a ton of work to the install and you are going to have a bunch of extra inputs that most people don't require. Sounds very interesting, are you planning to document the install here?
    Yes, I was going to write a summary once I get it done. It goes in the list of other mods I am planning to document on here as they are not that common (EMU Black, Standalone Race ABS, and feedback on the CF driveshaft after I get on the track again...). I did a lot during the past year at once, it will likely take another month till I get it on the dyno and then on the track 🙄
    ​

Originally posted by elbert View Post
    If you weren't aware, AIM can get the outside temp, water temp, and fuel level from the car's canbus, so you won't need to figure that part out.
    It can also get the oil temp from the car -- I wasn't aware it was calculated, so as you know, you will need to add a sensor for a direct reading, as well as one each for oil and fuel pressure.

With the Aim software (Race Studio 3), it is fairly easy to set up the calibration curves of the sensors once you get the hang of RS3.
    Oh thats good information, would save me some time. Do you know which module sends this information through the Can Bus? As I was aware it is the cluster sending out the fuel level on the bus, but I could be wrong...

I will be installing the Bosch 0261230340 sensor, which is a combo sensor giving temp and pressure. Also needs an adapter piece, as it uses a M10x1,0 thread and the S54 Oil Filter housing has M12x1,5 slots.

I already installed RS3 on my computer and looked through it, seems very intuitive. But I will wait with the praise until the dash is installed and working 😂
    Last edited by Altaran; 05-06-2024, 10:14 AM.

Comment

If you weren't aware, AIM can get the outside temp, water temp, and fuel level from the car's canbus, so you won't need to figure that part out.
      It can also get the oil temp from the car -- I wasn't aware it was calculated, so as you know, you will need to add a sensor for a direct reading, as well as one each for oil and fuel pressure.

With the Aim software (Race Studio 3), it is fairly easy to set up the calibration curves of the sensors once you get the hang of RS3.
      Fuel level is not on the CAN Bus, that only started with E9x cars. The level sensors are individually hardwired to the cluster and even if it was on the bus without the cluster there is nothing to transmit the signal.

Actually same for the outside temp sensor as well.

Water temp is the only useful temp on the Bus. IIRC rad out temp is on there too.
      '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
        I already installed RS3 on my computer and looked through it, seems very intuitive. But I will wait with the praise until the dash is installed and working 😂
        ​

When I think about it, RS3 isn't too bad from a device setup point of view. I was thinking more about the data analysis part, as I was coming from RS2, which was a bit different. Had I started from RS3 from the beginning, it would be fine.

Fuel level is not on the CAN Bus, that only started with E9x cars. The level sensors are individually hardwired to the cluster and even if it was on the bus without the cluster there is nothing to transmit the signal.

Actually same for the outside temp sensor as well.

Water temp is the only useful temp on the Bus. IIRC rad out temp is on there too.
        I attached a screenshot of the data streams.
        I'm getting fuel level and outside temp data. I don't know if it's calculated or not, but AIM getting it from somewhere, and the values do change. From what I remember, the values were reasonably close.
        For comparison, it also shows gearbox temp, but it is always at 32.0 F, regardless of what weekend.

The wideband/AFR and oil pressure are from add on sensors.
        And please ignore the slow laptime, I was not driving that well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RS3 channel.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	263906

Last edited by elbert; 05-06-2024, 11:57 AM.

Comment

​
          I attached a screenshot of the data streams.
          I'm getting fuel level and outside temp data. I don't know if it's calculated or not, but AIM getting it from somewhere, and the values do change. From what I remember, the values were reasonably close.
          For comparison, it also shows gearbox temp, but it is always at 32.0 F, regardless of what weekend.
          Hmm, maybe its an MSS54 vs MS42,43,45 thing. But either way. Disconnect the cluster and that info goes away.

'00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

Goodies arrived 😀

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

I have this swap completed. It took a few years and many hours to truly make it all work as factory.

Select I/K/D-Bus info converted to CAN so the AIM can pick it up to avoid analog inputs. You will definitely need to convert the fuel level sensor. Haven't figured out the outside temperature sensor yet.

A few things that are important to remember is that removing the IKE (factory cluster) will also cause some communication issues between certain modules.

-If running a factory DSC module, it will no longer stream data over CAN. Upon start, there is a cross check between the IKE and DSC modules. You will always have an error within the MK60/20 module, and will never know whether DSC/MDM is on/off, etc.

-If your car is SMG, the SMG won't be very happy due to MK60 errors.

-If you still have AC, the data over the I/K-bus to CAN won't stream.

-If you have PDC, it will no longer work.

-GM5 module will have issues. Most notably the unlock/lock buttons both in car and on the key fob will not work.

Last edited by nickpiper12; 05-07-2024, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickpiper12 View Post
                I have this swap completed. It took a few years and many hours to truly make it all work as factory.

Select I/K/D-Bus info converted to CAN so the AIM can pick it up to avoid analog inputs. You will definitely need to convert the fuel level sensor. Haven't figured out the outside temperature sensor yet.

A few things that are important to remember is that removing the IKE (factory cluster) will also cause some communication issues between certain modules.

-If running a factory DSC module, it will no longer stream data over CAN. Upon start, there is a cross check between the IKE and DSC modules. You will always have an error within the MK60/20 module, and will never know whether DSC/MDM is on/off, etc.

-GM5 module will have issues. Most notably the unlock/lock buttons both in car and on the key fob will not work.
                Will send you PM as well...

On DSC/ABS I should be fine, as I have a standalone MK60. It does send status info via Can which is a separate bus going to Can2 on the Aim, so I should be fine there. I have a manual and no PDC. AC is deleted as well, but I am still using the factory control unit. If that´s giving me a hard time, I may swap it for a manual unit as found on base e46 models or CSL or GTR.

Comment

Great info, about the I/K/D bus info. And interesting about the locks too.

​
                  Will send you PM as well...
                  Unless its so personal data, I'd ask to keep the questions going on this thread so other people including myself can follow along, and maybe help along the way. I'll be doing something similar in my car down the road so this info is useful to me and likely others.

Comment

Unless its so personal data, I'd ask to keep the questions going on this thread so other people including myself can follow along, and maybe help along the way. I'll be doing something similar in my car down the road so this info is useful to me and likely others.
                    I just asked him for his Race Studio Config File, so I don't have to ask for the math formulas. Don't know if he would want to make that public, guess thats up to him. I have not received feedback on that pm...

I talked to tech support today as well. Using factory sensors is just like Nick said not going to be plug and play. The way they usually do it is connect ground and connect signal and connect current with a resistor to signal and start measuring. So getting this data and what type of resistor used would really help to speed things up.

Select I/K/D-Bus info converted to CAN so the AIM can pick it up to avoid analog inputs.
                    How did you do that? I have not found that option in RS3. Does it "occupy¨ one of the two Can circuits? Since I run another ABS I need both Can Bus.

Comment

I talked to tech support today as well. Using factory sensors is just like Nick said not going to be plug and play. The way they usually do it is connect ground and connect signal and connect current with a resistor to signal and start measuring.
                      Lol I thought I said that?

Yes, you have to put the level sensors in series with the aim going through them to ground and use a pull up resistor. Then you have to do some math calculations to calibrate the reading in the AiM. I can't recall the resistor value off hand, but its pretty well documented online and the AiM FB group.

Comment

Lol I thought I said that?

Yes, you have to put the level sensors in series with the aim going through them to ground and use a pull up resistor. Then you have to do some math calculations to calibrate the reading in the AiM. I can't recall the resistor value off hand, but its pretty well documented online and the AiM FB group.
                        You can use different resistors to make it work, it will just affect the ohm rating that you get out of it. Would have been good to get the data from someone who has done it to save time, but I guess ill have to see that. Sucks that you cant push the swimmer down with the sensor installed to get the bottom point. I will remove them to get the bottom measurement and some other points to generate a decent curve. I will have to drain the tank at some point to measure a bottom point.

For the lights, I suppose tapping in for analog inputs it is. That or I will replace the LCM with an aftermarket CAN Unit...

Comment

Quick update in this:
                          The dash is connected for the most part. OBD readings and getting values works without much effort. Since I cannot use K-Line input without sacrificing one can circuit, I routed additional wires from the LCM and routed them to the dash. Did a total of 6 wires (turn signals left and right, parking lights, low beams, high beams, rear fog light). Instead of tapping in, I used crimp connectors with shrink seals. You can literally yank them and they won't disconnect.

In the coming days I will have to wire the other sensors, drain my tank, and start doing filling measurements. Thinking about just using the fuel pump to get it out...

Comment

What’s up!

Just wanted to verify that you deleted the OE cluster.

I’m not really concerned with DSC but does ABS still work normally? Can you still get data from the unit? I like looking at wheel speed and steering angle data.

Im thinking this should be easy for me, all I have is the ECU, MK60, LCM (brake lights), and the IKE. Everything else has been deleted. The only other data I want is brake pressure data that I can’t already get through CAN.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

What's up!

Just wanted to verify that you deleted the OE cluster.

I'm not really concerned with DSC but does ABS still work normally? Can you still get data from the unit? I like looking at wheel speed and steering angle data.

Im thinking this should be easy for me, all I have is the ECU, MK60, LCM (brake lights), and the IKE. Everything else has been deleted. The only other data I want is brake pressure data that I can't already get through CAN.
                              Yes, I deleted the OEM cluster

In my case I am running a standalone MK60 unit, so I cannot say for sure. But as far as I know, stock abs should work normally, abs function is dependent on wheel speed sensors and yaw sensor, which are directly connected. Brake pressure should be readable through can bus.

Comment

Brake pressure should be readable through can bus.
                                It is, but it's on another address than all the other parameters. Makes it annoying to grab if your device can't poll multiple at once.

Edit: Not true, I got my buses confused when I originally made this comment. The pressures are only present on CAN bus for AWD cars. On the rest, MK60 will reply with the values if you request a specific function call on D bus. See this for more info: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post28926476
                                Last edited by heinzboehmer; 06-03-2024, 11:21 AM.
                                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X