lightweight battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lightweight battery

Looking for a car and want to do basic upgrades when I purchase the car, and a battery is one.
    The mini H5 battery
    Anti Gravity H5-24h
    Braille Battery

Do I stick with a more OEM battery or do I go for a lithium-ion, if I go lithium-Ion is there anything to worry about, or anything else needed to support one? Any help is appreciated

how do you plan on using your car? in my experience anything less than H5 capacity is a compromise for a street car but if you're ok with being on a tender and not using a lot of electronics then that might work for you.

Comment

Braille GU1R battery here. No issues daily driving it, and I do have an Alpine 4 channel amp in place of the stock HK stuff. No other real electrical additions. If the car sits for longer than a couple weeks, I put it on the included trickle charger. It has sat for a month without a charger though and started right up.
      2003 Carbon Black - Karbonious CSL intake, CSL DME w/MAP, SSV1 headers/Catted Section1/63.5mm Section2, Shrick 280/272 cams, Lang Racing Stage 1 cylinder head, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500#F/600#R), GC Sways, AutoSolutions SSK, Motorsport 3.91 rear diff, BBS RGR wheels, Streamline CSL front bumper

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
        how do you plan on using your car? in my experience anything less than H5 capacity is a compromise for a street car but if you're ok with being on a tender and not using a lot of electronics then that might work for you.
        It will be a street/track car so I will need normal usage.

Comment

Originally posted by cozmo kraemer View Post
          Braille GU1R battery here. No issues daily driving it, and I do have an Alpine 4 channel amp in place of the stock HK stuff. No other real electrical additions. If the car sits for longer than a couple weeks, I put it on the included trickle charger. It has sat for a month without a charger though and started right up.
          So no worries with the battery with using ALL the electronics, I just need to make sure it is charged? and if so, what does that consist of?

Comment

I have the odyssey PC680 which in reality has treated me well but it is definitely not made for daily driving and I have wired a quick plug for charging so its easy to get in there and charge. I plan to upgrade to one of the Braille options in the same size when this one starts to show signs of age.

Comment

I installed an Antigravity because of the built in back up/jump start feature. So far so goo and it saved 41 pounds. My other choice was Braille. Both are good and in retrospect, I wish I'd gone with the Braille as it's made in The USA.
              MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
                I installed an Antigravity because of the built in back up/jump start feature. So far so goo and it saved 41 pounds. My other choice was Braille. Both are good and in retrospect, I wish I'd gone with the Braille as it's made in The USA.
                What is a built in back-up jump start feature? It sounds like a pretty good option for those of us in the Northeast.

Comment

Originally posted by ViN View Post
                  What is a built in back-up jump start feature? It sounds like a pretty good option for those of us in the Northeast.
                  ViN, the Antigravity, should it go south, automatically shuts itself off but holds a large enough single charge to one-time start the car. There's a button on the battery or you can use the fob they include to activate it.

Feff
                  MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by M/Anthony View Post

So no worries with the battery with using ALL the electronics, I just need to make sure it is charged? and if so, what does that consist of?
                    Never had any issues with it in over 4 years. You dont have to worry about charging it unless you don't drive the car for a long time. I just have the ability so if I know it will be sitting for a long time without driving, I put it on the trickle charger that came with the battery. The battery itself is like 4#. I have never heard anything but positive things about the Braille batteries. There are many on this forum that have many years with one, with no issues. That being said, they are expensive.
                    2003 Carbon Black - Karbonious CSL intake, CSL DME w/MAP, SSV1 headers/Catted Section1/63.5mm Section2, Shrick 280/272 cams, Lang Racing Stage 1 cylinder head, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500#F/600#R), GC Sways, AutoSolutions SSK, Motorsport 3.91 rear diff, BBS RGR wheels, Streamline CSL front bumper

Comment

https://www.deadweightindustries.co....ucts/touge-500

Comment

LiFePO4 is pretty cool. Anyone know what chemistries the other Li-ion brands use?
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
                          I've been digging into this stuff as I need a new battery and keep bouncing between these two options as well.

- Antigravity has the more stable LiFePO4 internals and excellent re-start feature, but I can't find anything on where they're actually made so assuming China.

- Braille is hand built in Florida, but you better be near an outlet if it dies since there's no restart feature. My mind keeps flashing to coming out to a dead battery in the airport parking garage and not being able to jump it or press the re-start button like on the Antigrav.

I've seen reviews of the Antigravity being DOA or shitting out after a month (Chinese quality) and also a few that had a Braille explode (I can't find anything on their site about LiFePO4, so I'm assuming theirs is the lighter but more combustible Lithium Ion)

Edit: I went with Antigravity for the re-start feature. The fact that it'll shut itself down before discharging to the point of becoming a paperweight is pretty important to me. Sometimes I put the car on the rack to do a project and get sidetracked for weeks at a time. Could easily see myself depleting a $600 battery on accident.
                          Last edited by ZHPizza; 06-03-2020, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Bring this thread back up.

I am going to run the second option since the first one is on back order. Anyone used either one below?

2005 IR M3 Slick Top 6speed. Mods - too much to list!
                            18 R8 RWS.
                            19 Vantage
                            15 YMB F80 M3 DCT - gone
                            Other cars too boring to list.

Comment

2005 IR M3 Slick Top 6speed. Mods - too much to list!
                              18 R8 RWS.
                              19 Vantage
                              15 YMB F80 M3 DCT - gone
                              Other cars too boring to list.

Comment

Working...
                              X