No Start Issue - Don't know what else to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Start Issue - Don't know what else to do

I am trying to figure out what could be wrong with this car and have tried everything I can think of. The car has a maximum psi turbo kit and runs on an AEM Infinity standalone. Car was running fine until recently when I swapped the injectors from the bosch ones that come with the kit to ID1050's. Upon first start up the car ran extremely rough with a lot of misfires. At this point I cannot get it to start at all. Here is what I have tried/swapped out:
    -Coils/Plugs
    -Cam sensors
    -Crank sensor
    -VANOS solenoid
    -Wiring harness
    -Ignition harness
    -Retimed vanos
    -Tried old injectors
    -Tried to plug in OEM DME to at least pull codes- no codes

According to the AEM Infinity everything looks fine and mechanically nothing is out of place. I have gone through anything I could have possibly screwed up since the car was running and have not found anything wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ignore if you have a manual transmission. Could it be SMG gear start related?

Comment

It is a manual.

Comment

Have you tested fuel pressure?
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
          Have you tested fuel pressure?
          Fuel pressure is good

Comment

Clutch switch. There’s a diy in e46fanatics about Bypassing it

Comment

Originally posted by jpiazzam3 View Post
              Clutch switch. There’s a diy in e46fanatics about Bypassing it
              You can also test if your clutch switch is good by putting the key in position 2 and pressing the clutch. You should hear the relay click when the pedal is almost all the way down.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

So if engine ran fine before you worked on it, then something you did is causing the issue. You said it started and ran rough then you changed injectors back and it still did not run?
                Did you reconnect the ground wires around the injectors. If you are missing one or it isn't tight that could be it. Or grounds in the spark plug area as well. Or last a missing vacuum line. Grounds and vac lines will have been disturbed doing what you did. Both will cause the exact same result you are having.

Comment

First off, when you try to start it, does the engine turn over? Answering this in the affirmative will eliminate posts on clutch switches and the like. But like the post above, I have to go to what you last changed or things most closely related. Did you have the rail off, are you sure that connector snapped in? If it turns over, can you get a tiny wire into the injector plug and confirm injectors are firing - and did you check fuses that might affect that?

ADS

Comment

I take it you selected the appropriate injectors within the setup wizard in the Infinity software?

When you say no start, is the car cranking? Can you see crank signal in the Infinity software? Do you hear the fuel pump priming?

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the input. The car does crank and turn over so the clutch switch is fine. I checked spark and injectors with the infinity diagnostics. both coils and injectors fire properly. Fuel pump is priming and fuel pressure is at 65lbs which is where it should be. In the infinity it has cam and crank signal, with start probability at 100%. ID1050 injectors aren't an option in the wizard so I manually entered the data for them. I forgot to mention that after I redid the timing, the car started up and idled fine again. This lasted for about 10 min until the car started to trip up and died, hasn't started since- which really throws me off. Vacuum lines are fine. A bad ground could make sense, I am going to go through the grounds later today.

Comment

Re grounds: I bought a car that had had an engine fire. I replaced all the engine harness. Engine started and ran fine for a couple of days, then it had trouble stating and staying running. Finally would not start at all. Turns out 2 engine grounds were loose. 2 10mm nuts were loose. How I managed to not tighten either of them I don't know. Ran fine after that.
                        Another with new engine ran fine for me to go get gas then really rough. Turns out it was a hidden vacuum line. Both simple once figured out.
                        I was bummed missing the grounds as my advice to others is usually check the grounds!

Comment

Visually the grounds look fine. I looked at the one next to the ecu, battery to chassis, ignition harness ground going to the head, and the motor to chassis ground on the exhaust side. Are there any else I am missing? I ended up frying my starter from getting frustrated and overworking it, good thing I've accumulated so many spare parts. Once I swap that, I plan on running a ground straight from the battery to various spots in the front of the car just to test.

Comment

Did you check spark? If you don't have a tester you can pull a plug out, stick it in the coil pack and ground the plug on the engine somewhere

Do you smell fuel out the exhaust while cranking?

Comment

Originally posted by mleveroni View Post
                              Visually the grounds look fine. I looked at the one next to the ecu, battery to chassis, ignition harness ground going to the head, and the motor to chassis ground on the exhaust side. Are there any else I am missing? I ended up frying my starter from getting frustrated and overworking it, good thing I've accumulated so many spare parts. Once I swap that, I plan on running a ground straight from the battery to various spots in the front of the car just to test.
                              Out of curiosity where exactly is the motor to chassis ground on the exhaust side? Is there an easy way to get at it without taking the bottom reinforcement plate off? Can't find any information or pictures showing exactly where it is on the S54. Trying to troubleshoot my own starting related issue right now.
                              Last edited by ATB88; 05-24-2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X