Convertible battery shock absorber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convertible battery shock absorber

Is the convertible battery shock absorber platform really required now that battery technology has moved on?

Mine could do with some cosmetic attention. So i thought perhaps it isn't required as long as the battery could be fixed in the compartment.
    Last edited by ac427; 07-05-2024, 09:18 AM.

I always wondered about this contraption. What is the purpose of it? Traditional lead-acid batteries have not changed in many decades (unless you step up to an AGM non flooded battery construction).

Comment

Originally posted by jayjaya29 View Post
      I always wondered about this contraption. What is the purpose of it? Traditional lead-acid batteries have not changed in many decades (unless you step up to an AGM non flooded battery construction).
      Exactly, so I'm not sure why it was actually required. I would have thought the softer damped convertible would give the battery an easier life, compared to a coupe with harder suspension as standard.

Comment

Hah - so that's what that thing is. Today I learned ...

Comment

I swapped to the coupe setup a few years ago - battery is still going fine. Another benefit of moving to the coupe setup is you can run a larger battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonvert View Post
            I swapped to the coupe setup a few years ago - battery is still going fine. Another benefit of moving to the coupe setup is you can run a larger battery.
            Is the coupe battery method a clamp over the top of the battery?

I am running a 110 size battery. Which battery size/dimensions did you move up to?

Comment

Oh cool, TIL that convertibles use the battery as a low frequency mass damper. That's why the convertible battery tray has that suspension mechanism.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by ac427 View Post

Is the coupe battery method a clamp over the top of the battery?

I am running a 110 size battery. Which battery size/dimensions did you move up to?
                I was able to move from an H7 to an H8 battery by switching to the coupe mounting system. To be fair I only did this because a trickle charger went bad and caused acid leak all over the original battery tray. I can't tell if its the move to AGM or the larger H8 size, but my convertible top mechanism seems more powerful since the switch

The coupe battery mounting system consists of a tray and a tie down

Last edited by Carbonvert; 07-11-2024, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X