Window not dropping when opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window not dropping when opening

Just got my car yesterday and noticed the driver’s side window doesn’t drop when I open the door and that the door does not lock or unlock with the key fob. However, the passenger side works as it should and will lock when the key fob is pushed.

Any idea what maybe going on? I’ve already tried reprogramming the window memory by holding the button however that didn’t work.

The fact that one side works as it should and the other does not makes me think it’s a faulty door lock actuator.

Thanks in advance

Window regulator potentially? I’m sure experts will chime

Comment

There's a pinch sensor in the door seal and the wire runs behind the a pillar cover. I'd remove the a pillar cover and check the wiring.

Comment

Lock actuator in my experience.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Thanks guys, will check the pinch sensor but have a feeling it’s the door lock actuator.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Lock actuator in my experience.
            How's a lock actuator related to the window drop when door opened? Maybe the door open sensor inside the actuator?

Comment

Tried troubleshooting this tonight and noticed the interior lights don’t go on (unless I push the button by the moonroof) and the open door indicator also does not show the door as being opened.

going to try and clean/lubricate the mechanism which shows if the door is open and see if that solves the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerfang View Post
                Tried troubleshooting this tonight and noticed the interior lights don’t go on (unless I push the button by the moonroof) and the open door indicator also does not show the door as being opened.

going to try and clean/lubricate the mechanism which shows if the door is open and see if that solves the problem.
                If you or a friend have INPA, you can scan the GM5 for error codes.

Comment

My gut feeling is the GM5 module, it acts up independently on each side.

I just had mine redone, my passenger window stopped rolling down. I would click the window switch 100 times and on the 101st try it would go down like normal and always go back up without an issue. It also stopped dropping the 1/8" when the door was opened. GM5 repair fixed it, I was going to do the actuator/motor since I'm on the interior of my car but glad I tested it first. https://www.bmwgm5.com/GM3_Repair_Service.htm

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
                    My gut feeling is the GM5 module, it acts up independently on each side.

I just had mine redone, my passenger window stopped rolling down. I would click the window switch 100 times and on the 101st try it would go down like normal and always go back up without an issue. It also stopped dropping the 1/8" when the door was opened. GM5 repair fixed it, I was going to do the actuator/motor since I'm on the interior of my car but glad I tested it first. https://www.bmwgm5.com/GM3_Repair_Service.htm
                    ^ This. Relays in the GM5 like to go bad. Once they are replaced, windows and door locks will be fully functional.

Comment

You've found the root cause: door open sensor is bad so GM5 doesn't know the door open to drop the glass. (Don't blame the GM5.)

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                        You've found the root cause: door open sensor is bad so GM5 doesn't know the door open to drop the glass. (Don't blame the GM5.)
                        Hoping I can clean/lubricate the actuator rather then needing to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

How's a lock actuator related to the window drop when door opened? Maybe the door open sensor inside the actuator?
                          I've been doing this a loooong time. It's almost always the door/lock actuator unit. Windows going wonky, lights, window not dropping/going back up when opening/closing the door. Door lock "stem" not going up and down. One door not locking when using the key fob.

DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Didn’t get a chance to play around with it tonight, but hoping over the weekend. Would love to save a few hundred $$$ and hours by not having to replace the lock actuator.

Comment

Didn’t get a chance to play around with it tonight, but hoping over the weekend. Would love to save a few hundred $$$ and hours by not having to replace the lock actuator.
                              Pretty sure you can save it as it is a Hall sensor and a moving magnetic material don't contact and no wear and tear. Maybe it needs a little adjustment for the sensor to detect the target.

Comment

Working...
                              X