Shifter Boot with ZHP knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter Boot with ZHP knob

I'm removing the wood grain trim from an S54 swapped touring and the car presently has a wood gooseneck shifter. I'm pulling that out and going to likely an F10 knob.

I don't want an alcantara boot in the car and doesn't look like BMW makes a nappa boot by itself, so looking at options.

I see there are some European vendors selling nappa boots on eBay. Anyone used these and have a recommendation?

What about something else? I'm open to ideas.

TIA
    '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
    I'm removing the wood grain trim from an S54 swapped touring and the car presently has a wood gooseneck shifter. I'm pulling that out and going to likely an F10 knob.

I don't want an alcantara boot in the car and doesn't look like BMW makes a nappa boot by itself, so looking at options.

I see there are some European vendors selling nappa boots on eBay. Anyone used these and have a recommendation?

What about something else? I'm open to ideas.

TIA
    You can take the plastic bezel off the original shift boot and transfer it to the F10 knob/boot combo. That way, you keep the F10 shift knob as one piece with its genuine leather shift boot. You will have to position the stitching so it is even on both sides since it won't line up perfectly with the two top corners. BMW seems to only sell an imitation leather shift boot for the E46 and the alcantara one.

DIY - https://chrisparente.com/2017/05/30/...b-replacement/

Second option is to use the leather boot from a stock E46 M3 shift knob.

As you mentioned, there are one or two really nice nappa leather boot options on eBay, but they add cost vs the two options above.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Done2.jpg Views:	4 Size:	157.7 KB ID:	272015
    Last edited by Slideways; 07-15-2024, 08:05 AM.

Comment

My recommendation would be the OE E46 M3 boot (find a used one with a worn out knob and cut it off) and the weighted gooseneck M 6-speed knob (P/N 25117896884). Weighted knob has a much better feel compared to the non-weighted OE unit, especially if you have an SSK.

Non-M3 E46 boots (genuine BMW) are made vinyl or Montana leather and they only have one or two stitched lines vs. the M3 version which is Nappa leather and has stitching in all 4 corners - looks much nicer IMO. When you cut the knob off of the M3 boot, you simply have to fold the top and tie it with a zip tie from the inside before installing the boot into the shifter trim and then install the knob. It will look original other than the boot and knob not being one piece. Here's how it looked in my M3: https://photos.app.goo.gl/msy5ZqyyvEzUYaU57

Here's a great deal on a genuine boot/knob that you could use for this: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...-parts-restore
      Last edited by PetrolM3; 07-15-2024, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
        You can take the plastic bezel off the original shift boot and transfer it to the F10 knob/boot combo. That way, you keep the F10 shift knob as one piece with its genuine leather shift boot. You will have to position the stitching so it is even on both sides since it won't line up perfectly with the two top corners.
        IIRC I've done this before and wasn't a fan, it was ok, but considering the time investment and cost of an F10 setup I'd probably just bite the bullet and go M3.

As you mentioned, there are one or two really nice nappa leather boot options on eBay, but they add cost vs the two options above.
        Ya, I agree buying an F10 setup and then a Nappa boot, probably ought to just buy the M3 unless the height is something that matters.

Second option is to use the leather boot from a stock E46 M3 shift knob.
        Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
        My recommendation would be the OE E46 M3 boot (find a used one with a worn out knob and cut it off) and the weighted gooseneck M 6-speed knob (P/N 25117896884). Weighted knob has a much better feel compared to the non-weighted OE unit, especially if you have an SSK.

Non-M3 E46 boots (genuine BMW) are made vinyl or Montana leather and they only have one or two stitched lines vs. the M3 version which is Nappa leather and has stitching in all 4 corners - looks much nicer IMO. When you cut the knob off of the M3 boot, you simply have to fold the top and tie it with a zip tie from the inside before installing the boot into the shifter trim and then install the knob. It will look original other than the boot and knob not being one piece. Here's how it looked in my M3: https://photos.app.goo.gl/msy5ZqyyvEzUYaU57
        I hadn't even thought about the idea of folding the cut leather inside like a normal boot. That is a good idea to keep the Nappa boot with a different knob. The present shifter is to nice to chop up though.

Here's a great deal on a genuine boot/knob that you could use for this: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...-parts-restore[/QUOTE]

A little worse for wear but a solid option, thanks for posting.
        '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

IIRC I've done this before and wasn't a fan, it was ok, but considering the time investment and cost of an F10 setup I'd probably just bite the bullet and go M3.

Ya, I agree buying an F10 setup and then a Nappa boot, probably ought to just buy the M3 unless the height is something that matters.

I hadn't even thought about the idea of folding the cut leather inside like a normal boot. That is a good idea to keep the Nappa boot with a different knob. The present shifter is to nice to chop up though.

Here's a great deal on a genuine boot/knob that you could use for this: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...-parts-restore
          That's the challenge - finding a stock shift knob where the top is worn and the boot has not shrunk due to the car being left in the sun. The eBay sellers from Europe, someone like Tanik, are probably the way to go for a nappa shift boot ready to install.

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post

Thanks for posting my listing PetrolM3…ended up selling it off the forum (listing updated)

Speaking of, I found one on eBay George Hill. Looks like it’s the leather boot from the gooseneck, and presents in good condition.

Comment

Working...
            X