Hagerty: BMW Finally Nailed the American M3 Market with the E46 Generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagerty: BMW Finally Nailed the American M3 Market with the E46 Generation

Since it's preaching to the choir here, probably nothing new for you guys - but just thought I'd share as I thought it was a nice read

I feel like the word 'finally' is out of place... this happened over 20 years ago and they are now saying that BMW 'finally' nailed it? LOL

Besides, at this point in time, you could say that they nailed it with the E30 too, based on the cult following and current prices.

My thought on the article - it seems like the market is in such terrible state that they feel the need to tell the same E46 story over and over in an attempt to motivate buyers who are on the fence and encourage more sales? As much as we love this platform, it's kind of tiring seeing the E46 M3 story re-told all over the place... everyone and their mother already heard it a million times.
    Last edited by PetrolM3; 07-15-2024, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
      I feel like the word 'finally' is out of place... this happened over 20 years ago and they are now saying that BMW 'finally' nailed it? LOL

Besides, at this point in time, you could say that they nailed it with the E30 too, based on the cult following and current prices.

My thought on the article - it seems like the market is in such terrible state that they feel the need to tell the same E46 story over and over in an attempt to motivate buyers who are on the fence and encourage more sales? As much as we love this platform, it's kind of tiring seeing the E46 M3 story re-told all over the place... everyone and their mother already heard it a million times.
      You're not wrong, just a good read for me when I was sitting on the toilet

Comment

A bit surprised. The author is not usually particularly complimentary towards this generation of the M3.
        Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Agreed about the article being superfluous. And, of course, the e30 was legendary from the beginning, and the e36 as well as the car that cemented the M brand in the American market.

Not sure I understand your market comments though. Just because prices are down from the overly inflated peak does not warrant that description. These cars are still way up for nice examples. Even adjusted for inflation, practically any e46 m3-or e36, for that matter-is worth much more than they were in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
            A bit surprised. The author is not usually particularly complimentary towards this generation of the M3.
            He usually hates on the steering feel and most of all, exhaust sound.

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. View Post

He usually hates on the steering feel and most of all, exhaust sound.
              The steering feel is amazing. The exhaust not so much lol. Unless you have a Dixis with headers, of course.
              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post

Agreed about the article being superfluous. And, of course, the e30 was legendary from the beginning, and the e36 as well as the car that cemented the M brand in the American market.

Not sure I understand your market comments though. Just because prices are down from the overly inflated peak does not warrant that description. These cars are still way up for nice examples. Even adjusted for inflation, practically any e46 m3-or e36, for that matter-is worth much more than they were in 2014.
                While I don’t disagree that E36 is also awesome, it didn’t do nearly as well as the E46 in the US and that’s sort of what the article is trying to say too. As for the E30, they actually nailed it there too, but it took time for enthusiasts to catch on. With the E46, it was a hit from conception onward. As soon as it came out, every man and boy wanted one and that hasn’t changed to this day.

As for my market comments, Hagerty is in the business of insuring and selling cars like an E46M. They are losing money (profits at a minimum) with sales, prices, and insured values decreasing month after month for over a year now. So, yes.. I can only assume that there was a ‘team meeting’ sometime recently where the boss said ‘let’s do some damage control’. With so many e46 m3 cars out there, maybe this article is exactly what I said - trying to motivate more collectors to buy and insure one or more of these on their platform.

After a brief reprieve, the Hagerty Market Rating slipped again. Inflation continues to have outsize impact on the collector car market.
                Last edited by PetrolM3; 07-15-2024, 04:00 PM.

Comment

While I don’t disagree that E36 is also awesome, it didn’t do nearly as well as the E46 in the US and that’s sort of what the article is trying to say too. As for the E30, they actually nailed it there too, but it took time for enthusiasts to catch on. With the E46, it was a hit from conception onward. As soon as it came out, every man and boy wanted one and that hasn’t changed to this day.

As for my market comments, Hagerty is in the business of insuring and selling cars like an E46M. They are losing money (profits at a minimum) with sales, prices, and insured values decreasing month after month for over a year now. So, yes.. I can only assume that there was a ‘team meeting’ sometime recently where the boss said ‘let’s do some damage control’. With so many e46 m3 cars out there, maybe this article is exactly what I said - trying to motivate more collectors to buy and insure one or more of these on their platform.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/market...-slow-retreat/
                  Most Hagerty policies are stated value, so everything you wrote is a pure speculation, and silly one at that.
                  BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Funny that you bring that up. I was listening to his latest podcast from today and confirms he hates the E46 M3 lol

I take it they have issue with the metallic rasp, but I think the sound issue is easily fixed - and you don't need a CSL airbox to make it sound good. I wonder if one of the higher ups at Hagerty made him write this article

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

Most Hagerty policies are stated value, so everything you wrote is a pure speculation, and silly one at that.
                      Ok.. and if that stated value is reduced, what happens to the premiums that go straight to Hagerty’s bank account? They themselves have stated that customers are calling to lower the value of their cars over the past year. Not sure why this would be difficult to grasp..

Comment

Ok.. and if that stated value is reduced, what happens to the premiums that go straight to Hagerty’s bank account? They themselves have stated that customers are calling to lower the value of their cars over the past year. Not sure why this would be difficult to grasp..
                        I don't know the author personally, but he does not seem disingenuous, and he has his facts pretty strait.

Hagerty insures 2.4 million cars. If the overall value of those vehicles declines then it is reasonable that Hagerty will bring in less money, but they will also be exposed to less risk. I don't know if the reduction in casualty loss payouts will compensate for the reduction in revenue, but I believe it is unlikely that a few E46 M3's are going to move the needle for them.​
                        Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Word for word what I was going to say. He also thinks the F355 sounds like crap

Comment

On a slight tangent but relevant to older BMWs, I think Sreten from m539 restorations has single handedly done more for older BMWs than anyone else in the last 10 years. His YouTube channel has exploded in popularity and I appreciate his approach. Oddly, he doesn't seem to be a big fan of the e46 m3.
                            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                              On a slight tangent but relevant to older BMWs, I think Sreten from m539 restorations has single handedly done more for older BMWs than anyone else in the last 10 years. His YouTube channel has exploded in popularity and I appreciate his approach. Oddly, he doesn't seem to be a big fan of the e46 m3.
                              Agreed.

He did do the quick and dirty E46 M3 vert project when he visited the US, but I keep hoping he will do a proper series on the E46.
                              Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Working...
                              X