Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gorilla Glass windshield: lighter & stronger (fishing for interest)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine is cracked, if this happens within 6 months; Count me in.
    2002 M3 | 1986 R80 | 2001 EuroVan

Comment

Did this ever turn into something? I'd be down lol
      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 BMW ///M3
      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

i'm more interested in laminated glass that reduces road noise but would still buy a gorilla glass windshield

Comment

I'm only interested if it's bulletproof, sound proof and comes with 3 bottles of rain x.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd definitely be interested

Comment

wouldnt it scratch easier than traditional glass though?
              2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

I’d be in on this also. Windshield is pretty pitted and thinking of replacing it soonish.

Comment

I just poked them again. Last correspondence was from Corning's one aftermarket partner, Hyperformance, and they said no.

Corning told me they make the glass and their glazing partners make the windshields. If anyone reading this knows of a glazing manufacturer, please post up.
                  2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                  Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                  Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

There's a firm, Optic Armor (http://opticarmorwindows.com/default.asp) that does lightened windshields. They claim up to 75% lighter and 250% stronger than stock. They have three applications for the E46 in 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" thick windshields. They also have options for the other windows of the car.

http://opticarmorwindows.com/applica...nufacturer=BMW

The only thing I've heard is they scratch pretty easily.

Feff

MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
                      There's a firm, Optic Armor (http://opticarmorwindows.com/default.asp) that does lightened windshields. They claim up to 75% lighter and 250% stronger than stock. They have three applications for the E46 in 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" thick windshields. They also have options for the other windows of the car.

http://opticarmorwindows.com/applica...nufacturer=BMW

The only thing I've heard is they scratch pretty easily.

Feff
                      Not street-legal, though. That'd be the nice thing about a Gorilla Glass windshield.

These are probably much cheaper than Gorilla Glass would be, though...
                      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                        I just poked them again. Last correspondence was from Corning's one aftermarket partner, Hyperformance, and they said no.

Corning told me they make the glass and their glazing partners make the windshields. If anyone reading this knows of a glazing manufacturer, please post up.
                        Hyperformance said no again. Corning said their other main glazing partners do volumes that are orders of magnitude higher than we'd likely be looking at. Volume seems to be a trend. We need to find a glazing company that's willing to do dozens or hundreds of windshields times however many variants -- not tens of thousands of each model annually. The kind of low volume we need would make each unit pretty expensive.

I'll keep an ear to the ground. Again, if anyone has any leads, please post up.
                        Last edited by IamFODI; 05-05-2021, 06:58 AM.
                        2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Not surprised this fell through, seemed like a monumental feat.

I replaced mine about 10 years ago I think, with the euro climate comfort windscreen. Seems the glass is more resistant to chipping and interior stays at least five degrees cooler plus I got that dope purplish hue at certain angles.

I don't know if it's still available but it was the most expensive glass offered at the time iirc. The stock one gets pitted far too easily.
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                            I’d buy one. Mine is fine but I think they usually get destroyed during slick top installs
                            Yep - they do, confirmed

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                              Not surprised this fell through, seemed like a monumental feat.
                              Oh, it hasn't fallen through yet. It just... has yet to yield anything whatsoever. 🤣
                              2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Since there is no way in hell of me getting this in Bahrain i'll just get a new one from the dealership

Comment

Working...
                                X