Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gorilla Glass windshield: lighter & stronger (fishing for interest)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be interested, but imagine shipping to Canada would be cost prohibitive

Comment

I’m interested. Here in Colorado, windshields are essentially consumable items. If there’s one that resists pitting and cracking better than OEM, I’m willing to pay more for it.

Comment

I found a company here in Germany that offers a lighter windshield.

They claim a 3kg saving over stock. Their windshield is 9,7kg.

They are also willing to give group buy rebates, I will make a separate group buy thread when I get back home in a couple of hours.

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
          I found a company here in Germany that offers a lighter windshield.

They claim a 3kg saving over stock. Their windshield is 9,7kg.

They are also willing to give group buy rebates, I will make a separate group buy thread when I get back home in a couple of hours.

Any chance of front and rear glass (with heater elements and antennas)?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Any chance of front and rear glass (with heater elements and antennas)?
            They don't have a rear glass at the moment but if there is enough interest they would be willing to make it, rear glass development will just take additional time.

Btw, they are getting their first heated windshield soon if anyone wants that.

Edit:
            He mentioned that a lighter rear window will likely not get a dot number as the stock ones are usually made with the minimum thickness already.
            But if there are at least 10 people interested in a rear glass as well they would make it.

Last edited by Altaran; 07-29-2022, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
              They don't have a rear glass at the moment but if there is enough interest they would be willing to make it, rear glass development will just take additional time.

Btw, they are getting their first heated windshield soon if anyone wants that.

Edit:
              He mentioned that a lighter rear window will likely not get a dot number as the stock ones are usually made with the minimum thickness already.
              But if there are at least 10 people interested in a rear glass as well they would make it.

where will these windshields be made?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

where will these windshields be made?
                Their manufacturer is located in Finnland.

Comment

Excellent!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Following...

Comment

I have the biggest crack on my front OEM windshield with the blue/green line up top. I'd like to retain the OEM glass so I'm looking at replacing it when I decide to pull the trigger on the CSL roof.

After researching on these forums, I was planning on getting an OEM windshield from Germany ordered through a local dealership. How much would shipping look like for something like this to the US?

Comment

Zentrale Autoglas engagiert sich seit 1988 in der mobilen Verglasung von Bussen, Wohnmobilen, PKW und LKW und und zählt zu den Spezialisten in dieser Branche. Mit über 200 Mitarbeitern an 25 Standorten in Deutschland und Österreich sind wir schnell vor Ort und helfen kompetent und zuverlässig.

liteglas - pretty sure their glass is DOT approved also and 3kg lighter

Instagram
                        1,107 Followers, 200 Following, 66 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Liteglas by Zentrale Autoglas (@liteglas)

on E46
                        https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc7W_QVo...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Comment

+1 interested

Comment

Originally posted by NZ_M3 View Post
                            https://www.zentrale-autoglas.de/liteglas.html

liteglas - pretty sure their glass is DOT approved also and 3kg lighter

Instagram
                            1,107 Followers, 200 Following, 66 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Liteglas by Zentrale Autoglas (@liteglas)

on E46
                            https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc7W_QVo...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
                            That is who I am in contact with.

Edit: Group buy thread started: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ght-windshield

Last edited by Altaran; 07-30-2022, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Does it come with the rain/light sensor prism glued to the glass?

Comment

Would gorilla Glass be more chip resistant? Windshields are constantly getting nailed by stones around here. Mine is currently pitted pretty decently so would not mind a new one that's more durable.

I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to try and convince a decent size distributor to try and contact hyperperformance instead?

I imagine a known company that would be able to order, store and move a thousand or more units would be more convincing then what, in reality, would only be a few dozen to maybe over 100 group buy.

Cost per unit would go up most likely, but chances of getting them would as well. Not to mention long(er) term availability would be a plus.

Not trying to take away from the group by efforts by any means. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X