Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone install a trunk handle backup cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone install a trunk handle backup cam?

Just purchased this trunk handle/backup cam to install and set up with my Eonon head unit:

BMW E46 E53 E82 E88 E84 E90. BMW E91 E92 E93 E60 E61 E70 E71 E72. BMW M3 525 E60 Baujahr 2006. BMW X1 X5 X6. BMW 5er 118i 316i 318i 320i 325i 328i 120i. BMW 330i 335i 320i 330i 335i 520i 523i 530i. BMW 3 er F10 F11 F11 F18 F32 F30 F31 F34.

Does anyone on here have experience with this type of camera install? I don't think I'll need to cut/drill into the trunk fascia, I was thinking I would just pop out the old handle and pop the new one in, does that sound right?

It also looks like it needs to be powered additionally (not from the head unit) and says to connect the camera's power cables to the reverse lights positive and negative. Is that easy to do/self-explainitory? I don't want to be stripping any cabling/cutting/drilling to perform this install.

Thanks!

Not seeing how that would work since you lose the trunk open button, maybe one that replaces the license plate light lens instead?

Comment

Originally posted by lunardds View Post
      Not seeing how that would work since you lose the trunk open button, maybe one that replaces the license plate light lens instead?
      I believe it incorporates the trunk open button + backup camera in the same part so you shouldn’t lose functionality of opening the trunk. It was only like $25 so if it doesn’t work out it’s no big deal.

Comment

I would guess your biggest issue will be that the hole in the handle isnt rectangular. Youre going to have to cut either that piece, of the handle. Fwiw, i have an old trunk handle in the trash i just replaced, if you want it to see if you can modify it, im down in dover. I dont mind meeting you halfway, or just mailing it if you cover shipping. Just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by scubastove View Post
          I don't want to be stripping any cabling/cutting/drilling to perform this install.

using T-Tap connectors should be sufficient to make your connections, but these cheaper chinese units are never plug and play. you'll probably need to do some crimping/stripping/taping/finessing to get everything buttoned up

Comment

I believe it incorporates the trunk open button + backup camera in the same part so you shouldn’t lose functionality of opening the trunk. It was only like $25 so if it doesn’t work out it’s no big deal.
            In the pics, it looks like there isn't a trunk button, only the 1 power and 1 video signal cable. If you're okay with losing the trunk opening button on the trunk itself (and just using the remote, or the button in the footwell) then it should be okay.

Yes, you can use T-tap connectors, just make sure you use pliers to squeeze the blade down to guarantee that you have sufficient contact.

Personally I just drilled a small hole and mounted the camera a bit off to the side. Not a fan of the license plate light cameras, and I had this camera on hand for 5 years, as it came with my car.

To be honest it is hideous, literally a black pimple on the back of my car. I do have to take the trunk handle off again to install a missing trunk handle gasket, so I'm going to colour match the camera housing with some touch-up paint

Comment

I was thinking I would just pop out the old handle and pop the new one in
              If you have the LCI trunk handle, there is nothing to pop out. There is no separate trunk button part -- the rubber portion of the button is "stuck" on the main piece of the bottom/black part of the trunk handle. To use those eBay trunk handle cameras, you have to saw/dremel a hole into that piece. Secondly, most trunk handle cameras I've seen are too long (e.g., 11cm or more) and too wide (e.g., 4cm or more), not even considering the portion of those cameras that will have to live inside the trunk handle itself. The recessed area for the button in between the recessed areas where the screws go is only 10cm long and 3cm wide. You have to cut into the portion between the two recesses to fit the 11cm ones.

​​Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4792 15pc.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	27527

The camera-only solution is a better option (until an E46-specific trunk handle option comes out) but I agree a bit that those ones look like a "black pimple" ... not sure if it would look better if the camera is painted body color.

The OEM retrofit camera is less visible but you have to cut through the metal so it's a bit more work. Have had the kit for several years and have never gotten to install it. Also bought a trunk handle (both painted and black pieces) and an eBay camera to find alternatives. Maybe by the time these lockdowns are over, I would have installed something!
              Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	e46 camera 1.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	27770 Click image for larger version

Name:	E46_Rear_Camera3 (1).jpg
Views:	961
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	27771 Click image for larger version

Name:	E46_Rear_Camera (1).jpg
Views:	950
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	27772 Click image for larger version

Name:	e46 camera 3 (1).jpg
Views:	966
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	27773 Click image for larger version

Name:	e46 camera 2.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	27774 Click image for larger version

Name:	E46_Rear_Camera2 (1).jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	27775 Here's how I did mine. Used a stand alone unit. The trunk handle cameras are not made for the E46 despite being advertised as such, same with the license plate light ones. Fitment is horrible.

Comment

Here's how I did mine. Used a stand alone unit. The trunk handle cameras are not made for the E46 despite being advertised as such, same with the license plate light ones. Fitment is horrible. Click image for larger version

Name:	E46_Rear_Camera3 (1).jpg
Views:	956
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	27777 Click image for larger version

Name:	E46_Rear_Camera (1).jpg
Views:	934
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	27778 Click image for larger version

Name:	e46 camera 1.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	27779 Click image for larger version

Name:	e46 camera 3 (1).jpg
Views:	940
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	27780 Click image for larger version

Name:	e46 camera 2.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	27781 Click image for larger version

Name:	E46_Rear_Camera2 (1).jpg
Views:	945
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	27782

Comment

That's annoying! Will try to return that piece. That DIY job of yours turned out really well! I'm just wary of drilling into the trunk's facia like that, don't want to make any permanent changes.

Comment

Working...
                    X