Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New header gasket rings needed everytime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New header gasket rings needed everytime?

I put on Euro headers/sec 1. about 6 months ago, now I'm thinking I want to put on the stock sec. 1 and see how it sounds with straight pipes just for fun. I bought new gaskets and for both ends of sec 1. when I did that job, so they aren't old.
    Do I need to use new gasket rings if I remove my sec. 1 and replace it with another piece? Those gaskets between the headers and sec. 1 (graphite material?) just seem like they might be a one and done deal to me. But if they aren't I might just do that tonight, I'm bored and watching bloodsport on TV, so a little project would be nice.
    Last edited by Cubieman; 05-22-2020, 06:19 PM.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Eh I've reused both header to section 1 and section 1 to section 2 gaskets before. Never had an issue, but I did switch them out for new ones after a couple months.

What you really should do is buy them from FCP and get free replacements whenever you remove them.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
      Eh I've reused both header to section 1 and section 1 to section 2 gaskets before. Never had an issue, but I did switch them out for new ones after a couple months.

What you really should do is buy them from FCP and get free replacements whenever you remove them.
      Thanks, and good point about FCP, after second thought I don't know if a cat delete is a good idea. I'll be honest...I wanted to try the backfire tune just because. I don't want my car to smell like fuel all the time and be stupid loud, which from what I understand is the case with a decat setup.
      That being said I know many multiple members here run straight pipes and probably love their setup, not knocking it, and may very well try it.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

You don’t need to replace those gasket every time. If visually looking good leave it. I never replaced mine. I must have remove section 1 20 times at best.

Comment

If I’m doing a series of projects, I’ll reuse them. If I’m closing up and not going to be in there again for a couple of years, I’ll replace them.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
          X