Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me on Carbon Airbox tunes

Happy Tuesday everyone.

I purchased a karbonius Airbox and while I’m waiting for delivery, I’m curious to know the the general consensus on tunes for these things. What options do we have and what gets the most performance out of Airbox. I’ve been trying to do some research on the web and haven’t found much info on this topic. To my understanding the Alpha-N tune, CSL DME, and kassell’s tune are what I’ve found. anyone have any preference or notable things to say that could help push me in the right direction? And do the air boxes require the csl map sensor in order to function or is that specific to the csl software ? Appreciate the help.
    Last edited by bassel_sy; 05-26-2020, 05:59 PM.
    • 2006 AW/IR Manual
    • Karbonius Race / Alpha- N
    • Supersprint
    • KW V3
    • 996 Brembo
    • ZCP / PSS

Alpha-n tunes don't require a MAP sensor. Some people really like them, some don't. Supposedly, alpha-n tunes have some drivability issues, but it seems like it depends on how well the tune is made. Personally I added a MAP sensor. There are canned alpha-n tunes available (I think Evolve offers one?), but these usually require dialing in on a dyno afterwards.

The stock CSL tune will work with an airbox and MAP sensor, as long as it's modified to suit the rest of the car (manual, stock cams, etc). However, running this tune requires an HP DME (found on facelift cars) and you will not get as much power out of the airbox when compared to a dyno tune. This is the route I went with, as I decided to wait until I get cams and headers before getting a dyno tune.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I tune both setups, both Alpha N and a MAP sensor based management will work just fine(just like stock) if tuned right, both will drive like crap on a crappy tune. On my own car , I run alpha N, have been doing so for the past 4 years. Zero issues.
      385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
      -CSL airbox ( custom)
      -280 272 Cat cams
      -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
      -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
      -TMS pullies
      -Electric Fan
      -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

I've been very happy with the tuning work and advice Randy Mueller at EPIC (https://epicmotorsports.com/) has done on my car.

Feff
        MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
          The stock CSL tune will work with an airbox and MAP sensor, as long as it's modified to suit the rest of the car (manual, stock cams, etc).
          Out of curiosity, anyone have any experience running the CSL tune with a CSL box, but US spec headers? From what I can tell almost everyone who upgrades to a CSL box and software usually already has already ditched the US catted headers. Of course, euro headers will always be better, but the CSL tune specifically expects euro headers. I won't be upgrading my headers for at least a couple months.. I'm wondering if running the CSL tune with US headers will cause any drivability issues other than not making quite as much power as it would with euros?
          Last edited by ATB88; 05-28-2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

Out of curiosity, anyone have any experience running the CSL tune with a CSL box, but US spec headers? From what I can tell almost everyone who upgrades to a CSL box and software usually already has already ditched the US catted headers. Of course, euro headers will always be better, but the CSL tune specifically expects euro headers. I won't be upgrading my headers for at least a couple months.. I'm wondering if running the CSL tune with US headers will cause any drivability issues other than not making quite as much power as it would with euros?
            I've got a CSL box with stock cams and stock US headers on a CSL tune. No drivability issues. I do want to eventually get cams, headers, and a dyno tune, but in the mean time, I'll stick with this setup as I've had no issues.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

For the karbonius guys - did you have to change out the boots on the box? I remember seeing something a while back that you need to purchase a smaller size or source them of an pre 2004 m3. The boots are like $40 a pop or buy an old Airbox for 80? Also did you guys swap out to silicone radiator hoses.
              Last edited by bassel_sy; 05-28-2020, 04:43 PM.
              • 2006 AW/IR Manual
              • Supersprint
              • KW V3
              • 996 Brembo
              • ZCP / PSS

Comment

I THINK if your car was made after 10/2004 you need the smaller boots. Mine was made 06/2004 and I did not need new boots.
                Also, use factory clamps, yes they require the use of two separate tools, but so worth it imo.
                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                Instagram

Comment

FWIW as soon as my Turner shows up, I am going to be scheduling some time on my local Dyno to have Hassan tune mine!

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                    I THINK if your car was made after 10/2004 you need the smaller boots. Mine was made 06/2004 and I did not need new boots.
                    Also, use factory clamps, yes they require the use of two separate tools, but so worth it imo.
                    To my understanding that is correct. Do you by chance know the size of the boots or part number?
                    • 2006 AW/IR Manual
                    • Supersprint
                    • KW V3
                    • 996 Brembo
                    • ZCP / PSS

Comment

Originally posted by bassel_sy View Post

To my understanding that is correct. Do you by chance know the size of the boots or part number?
                      Yeah you need the boots from 10/2004 or earlier. P/N is 11617830265. At $40 a pop I think you'd be insane to buy a set new. They're robust and you can pull them off a used intake. Or, even easier, Turner sells their own set for $100 total: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...t-with-clamps/ ... not OE but I don't think it matters in this instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                        Clamps P/N? Were there different variations of the clamp?

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                        2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post

Clamps P/N? Were there different variations of the clamp?
                          https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/11617830306/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/11617831745/

Those are what you'll need and there are not different variations to my knowledge. You will also need these tools, do it, don't use hose clamps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...b_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-30800-B...D9V1P9GJ6F69AC
                          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                          Instagram

Comment

Just to add to this…I have a Turner CSL Intake, Megan headers, and using an OE IAT sensor in the plenum with an Epic Tune. After dyno tuning, there are no noticeable driveability concerns and the car rips.

Just plan on the dyno tune as part of the project.

Comment

Question for the CSL intake crowd. I want the easiest CSL intake setup so that I can uninstall and reinstall the box every two years. This is due to CA smog reasons. Would that just be to get the CSL intake and the get an OTS alpha N tune? I also currently have a dinan stage 1 tune on my car and bought it that way. Would that be considered my base tune when flashing the new alpha N tune?

Comment

Working...
                              X