Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Led retrofit vs facelift led tail light functionality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Led retrofit vs facelift led tail light functionality?

I have a preface lift vert and installing facelift led tails. I didn't want to get the conversion harness so I looked up the wire harness pinouts for 6 pin pre facelift vs 8 pin facelift connectors. I have the pigtails from the donar car so I was going to wire them into my car as a permanent connection

The 8 pin connector has one empty slot and then one extra wire for dynamic signal (outer led ring for what I assume is the brakeforce system)

For the conversion harness I'm curious how the wiring is setup, does the conversion harness wire in the extra wire to an existing wire to the pre-facelift plug?

If this is so, do facelift led tails on a facelift car show all LEDs or only the center LEDs when the tail lights are on?

For preface cars with the led tails retrofitted do all the leds show instead of just the center ones and you lose the outer LEDs being used for brakeforce functionality?

Just trying to figure out if to get full functionality to I need to run separate wires for dynamic brake force to the LCM?

Do people that do the LED retrofit with the BMW harness lose functionality in regard to brake force?

This might help:
    ​​​​
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_219.jpg
Views:	2460
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	29089

The adapter harness has no pin for the outside LEDs. Only the inside lights up. I haven't tried to get the brake force display working, so not sure if possible. I'm assuming the answer is no since the pre facelift tails didn't have it. You could wire that pin to the main lights and have all LEDs light up though.
    Last edited by heinzboehmer; 05-27-2020, 09:34 PM.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
      This might help:
      ​​​​
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_219.jpg
Views:	2460
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	29089

The adapter harness has no pin for the outside LEDs. Only the inside lights up. I haven't tried to get the brake force display working, so not sure if possible. I'm assuming the answer is no since the pre facelift tails didn't have it. You could wire that pin to the main lights and have all LEDs light up though.
      Awesome thank your for confirming that.

I looked up the LCM pinout and the left/right brake light wiring diagram and it looks like pin 4 on left light goes to pin 20 on LCM and pin 4 right tail light goes to pin 38 on LCM.

If I wire it up like that and code the LCM for LED vo then the tails should function like facelift cars as expected.

Now I'm just curious on face lift cars, do the outer ring LEDs only light up under hard braking but never with the parking lights?

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

Awesome thank your for confirming that.

I looked up the LCM pinout and the left/right brake light wiring diagram and it looks like pin 4 on left light goes to pin 20 on LCM and pin 4 right tail light goes to pin 38 on LCM.

If I wire it up like that and code the LCM for LED vo then the tails should function like facelift cars as expected.

Now I'm just curious on face lift cars, do the outer ring LEDs only light up under hard braking but never with the parking lights?
        They light up dimly with the parking lights, just like the center LEDs do. Only time they light up fully is under hard braking.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
        X