No announcement yet.

M3 advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is definitely not a good deal FWIW. 175k mile M3 with none of the big three items done that has also been hit? Its a 9k car max all day long. I paid 8k for an 2004 LSB/black interior that had a similar small incident and had been repaired well (clean title) that had 185k miles.

For reference I split the resto work 50/50 with a shop. I did everything from rebuilding brakes to new bushings, bearings, subframe job with all new parts (redish plates). I pretty much went down the laundry list of stuff I had done to my 01. This ended up costing me 11k parts/labor. About 4.5k in labor.

Comment

Slightly better offer, no mention of bearings and subframe. 40k less miles, 1 owner

Comment

Rod bearings and subframe, cinnamon high mileage four owner. Bad paint, could bargain down. 153k miles

Comment

Decided to not go with the original car, thanks for the input saved me another 5k lol. Looking for maintenced m3s for a good price, the carbon black one is tempting so far. Will be searching and looking on the web for another month.

Comment

I can't think of a scenario where buying a $12k E46 M3 that you have to finance is a good idea, either.
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Better to start with a nice car if you want to end up with a nice car. Making a crappy example nice can get very expensive very quickly.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                Better to start with a nice car if you want to end up with a nice car. Making a crappy example nice can get very expensive very quickly.
                Who needs trim when you have a 5-figure stroker build that revs to 9000?
                '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                  I can't think of a scenario where buying a $12k E46 M3 that you have to finance is a good idea, either.
                  I disagree. There are definitely scenarios where this is a bad idea, but many where it's not. This is exactly what I've done in my situation and it's worked out great. I'm in grad school, so I didn't have the cash to buy my $12k M3 two years ago, so I financed it. Got 2.85% over 5 years. I have a steady income so payments are trivial, maintenance costs haven't been a problem, and the credit will only have cost me about $1200 by the time it's paid off. I can also easily sell the car right now for at least what I paid for it, two years later, despite having added a bunch of mileage, and the car's almost half paid off. How was this a bad idea? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not saying that OP should go and finance a $12k dumpsterfire at a shitty rate, but, there are definitely good ways to make this car attainable to someone that needs to finance it without it being a terrible idea. If your income stream can handle maintenance (including preventative) and you can get a good rate and find the right car, no reason why not.
                  Last edited by ATB88; 05-29-2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

I disagree. There are definitely scenarios where this is a bad idea, but many where it's not. This is exactly what I've done in my situation and it's worked out great. I'm in grad school, so I didn't have the cash to buy my $12k M3 two years ago, so I financed it. Got 2.85% over 5 years. I have a steady income so payments are trivial, maintenance costs haven't been a problem, and the credit will only have cost me about $1200 by the time it's paid off. I can also easily sell the car right now for at least what I paid for it, two years later, despite having added a bunch of mileage, and the car's almost half paid off. How was this a bad idea? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not saying that OP should go and finance a $12k dumpsterfire at a shitty rate, but, there are definitely good ways to make this car attainable to someone that needs to finance it without it being a terrible idea. If your income stream can handle maintenance (including preventative) and you can get a good rate and find the right car, no reason why not.
                    Precisely my point. Hence why I’m not looking to get the $12k car anymore and Looking at a good maintenanced 18k one. I’m going to be doing grad school and college, having the most immaculate m3 ever doesn’t make any sense. I’m simply looking for One with decent condition and maintenance down to it so I don’t worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                      I agree, I just don’t want to buy a 80k mile one when I’m swapping a new engine in it. Will spend 8k more for very little

Comment

Doing basic work and spending some money on polishing equipment and slowly picking parts needing to be replaced will make the car way cleaner and nice. Then buying a more expensive lower mileage car that I have to replace parts for in 3 years time instead of 2 or 1

Comment

You don't have a cousin who whittles custom shift knobs and now drives a hacked up Porsche do ya?

Edit: You are alright man and I wish you the best in your pursuits.
                          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                            You don't have a cousin who whittles custom shift knobs and now drives a hacked up Porsche do ya?

Edit: You are alright man and I wish you the best in your pursuits.
                            lol admit it: you miss him, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

lol admit it: you miss him, don't you?
                              Absolutely, I would get on m3forum praying for a new post from Jared, g0d d@mn legend.
                              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                              X