Burble tune w/cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burble tune w/cats

Running the burble/pop on Martyn's tool and wondering specifically how it will ruin my cats. I have the Euro cats in section 1 if that makes any sort of difference.
    I am not running the backfire tune, but the burble/pop. I know it is childish but I do kind of like it. I wondered if it would ruin the cats abilty to clean the exhaust or if it melts the catalyst and just messes the cats/exhaust system up that way. Probably put 100 miles on the car with this tune and plan on removing it before driving again.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

No, it will melt the cats because of increased temperatures in the exhaust track. It might not be as bad with euro cats since they're further downstream, but there's still the exhaust valves to worry about.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I don't think burble + pop will ruin cats, new cars do it from the factory. Isn't it just leaving injectors on for a very brief interval after lifting off the throttle? Backfiring on the other hand...
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        No, it will melt the cats because of increased temperatures in the exhaust track. It might not be as bad with euro cats since they're further downstream, but there's still the exhaust valves to worry about.
        What effect does this have on the exhaust valves?

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
          I don't think burble + pop will ruin cats, new cars do it from the factory. Isn't it just leaving injectors on for a very brief interval after lifting off the throttle? Backfiring on the other hand...
          Is it not the same thing though? You still end up burning fuel in the headers.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

What effect does this have on the exhaust valves?
            The burble is due to fuel igniting outside the combustion chamber. This means that the ignition occurs with the exhaust valves open/on the stem side of the valve. As a result, the valves can heat up more than normal and cause problems such as damages to the valve seals. In practice, the damages might turn out to be minimal, but the burble feature is still doing something the engine was not designed to do.

Comment

I will take component longevity over burble so its going, but I must say the last few long drives with burble I throughly enjoyed!

Instagram

Comment

We went over this in my drivability class. You are dumping fuel into your cats. It's the same as running rich. Your cats, for emissions reasons, have a chamber to burn any unburnt fuel so hydrocarbons don't get into the atmosphere. Then it crosses through the catalyst that converts the by products to water and CO2. What happens when you run rich, cat temperatures do go up. Also, your cats get clogged. While it probably won't melt the cats, it will clog them quickly, cover your exhaust valves and pistons in carbon too. Burble tunes are just bad for your car. With the explosion happening inside the exhaust, it may also crack your exhaust. The honeycombs inside the cats aren't durable at all so it could break some of those too.
                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Speaking from experience as an engineer working in road car engine warranty, burble tunes have a similar effect on catalysts as a misfiring engine will. Long-term, you will melt your cats. My OEM doesn't offer such a tune that we have to deal with, but companies that do offer one are more carefully developed and analyzed for long-term wear and tear than someone's homebrewed tune for an older car. They are legally required to certify a long lifespan on emissions requirements, especially for California and Europe.
                  2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Albino09 View Post
                    Speaking from experience as an engineer working in road car engine warranty, burble tunes have a similar effect on catalysts as a misfiring engine will. Long-term, you will melt your cats. My OEM doesn't offer such a tune that we have to deal with, but companies that do offer one are more carefully developed and analyzed for long-term wear and tear than someone's homebrewed tune for an older car. They are legally required to certify a long lifespan on emissions requirements, especially for California and Europe.
                    These reason I don't think the cats would melt is because a misfire would be constantly happening but burble tunes only happen for a short time. I agree it may melt them, but seems less likely since it's not constant. That being said, damage will almost certainly occur.
                    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                    X