Moroso Aluminum Expansion Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moroso Aluminum Expansion Tank

Anyone here have experience with the Moroso Expansion Tank? I've heard the moshimoto ET for the non-m is terrible and that plastic is better, is this the same for the Moroso one? It costs a bit more than the OE, so I'm curious if its worth the switch.

The M3s don't have the issues with the ETs that the non-Ms do. I think the aluminum tank will help with controlling water temps better. Aluminum can dissipate more heat than plastic.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	0F303A0F-D140-4B80-9503-68B67C4A85D3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	57.2 KB ID:	31123 Click image for larger version  Name:	7F9C48B1-A6C2-48F1-9C0F-14D4F978A454.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	31124 Costs a bit more...? According to ECS’s website, it costs 100% more than a new genuine BMW part. Granted, if your priority is to have a nice engine compartment, by all means get it; every fella who has 40wt coursing through their veins has bought something shiny for their sled. 😁

Comment

Only hitch I don't care for with the Moroso tank is the loss of the coolant tank sensor.

"This revision is a direct replacement for the stock E46 M3 coolant expansion tanks and it does not use the factory sensor. Because of this you will need to short the wires to prevent the "Check Coolant" light on your instrument panel."
        MVP Track Time

Comment

Seems like a downgrade to me. Heavier, loses the sensor. I could see it in a car with a failure prone stock tank, but that’s not us.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
            Only hitch I don't care for with the Moroso tank is the loss of the coolant tank sensor.

"This revision is a direct replacement for the stock E46 M3 coolant expansion tanks and it does not use the factory sensor. Because of this you will need to short the wires to prevent the "Check Coolant" light on your instrument panel."
            It annoys me that Moroso does that when they even sell a level switch that fits the bung they put in the tank for the sight glass and would work with stock wiring setup

https://www.moroso.com/catalog/produ...num-bung63950/

I have bought one to test and prove it works to back up what im saying... I have some other welding work to get done so I might even use the bung that comes with it so i can have the cluster light back and still have the sight glass... very fancy haha

Comment

My expansion tank actually just started leaking at the seam. So maybe ours IS failure prone? I was considering the moroso but still not really sure which direction to go. I usually prefer OEM unless theres an obvious benefit to an aftermarket part. This did only start after I topped off the coolant though. I believe the manual says to fill until the post is at the top of the fill hole right? Ive also heard that overfilling can cause them to leak. but from what it seems, I didnt overfill. but maybe its not recommended to fill that high? thoughts?

Comment

Message Stash1, he has been running one for a while.
                2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
                Build///Journal
                IG: Khan_Art_

Comment

Originally posted by STAATS View Post

It annoys me that Moroso does that when they even sell a level switch that fits the bung they put in the tank for the sight glass and would work with stock wiring setup

https://www.moroso.com/catalog/produ...num-bung63950/

I have bought one to test and prove it works to back up what im saying... I have some other welding work to get done so I might even use the bung that comes with it so i can have the cluster light back and still have the sight glass... very fancy haha
                  STAATS:

This is what's needed. I just called Moroso to see if they are willing to produce the existing tank with the bung. it's a one-off "custom" (ie: pricey) job. They are going to get back with me.

When you get this completed, assuming it works, could you please give details of location. with measurements, of the bung on the Moroso aluminum tank? I'm assuming you'll simply replicate the location from the OEM plastic tank to the aluminum (pronounced AL-U-MINI-UM for our British brethren) Moroso tank. This rids me of another fail point (split OEM tank) on the race car.

You get to be the guinea pig. By the way, thanks in advance.

Feff
                  Last edited by Feffman; 06-04-2020, 07:29 AM.
                  MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post

STAATS:

This is what's needed. I just called Moroso to see if they are willing to produce the existing tank with the bung. it's a on-off "custom" (ie: pricey) job. They are going to get back with me.

When you get this completed, assuming it works, could you please give details of location. with measurements, of the bung on the Moroso aluminum tank? I'm assuming you'll simply replicate the location from the OEM plastic tank to the aluminum (pronounced AL-U-MINI-UM for our British brethren) Moroso tank. This rids me of another fail point (split OEM tank) on the race car.

You get to be the guinea pig. By the way, thanks in advance.

Feff

Haha yer i searched the web over with nothing so figured I would be the guinea pig...

I was planning on putting it "behind" the tank... so like if you are looking down on tip of the tank with the sight glass on the right hand side then I am going to do it on the top side... so just around the corner from the current sight glass bung so then the wiring and all that is hidden around the corner ... The sensor has its own wiring pig tail so I was going to put a connector on that and then chop the BMW off the other end and do a matching one so then it can be replaced easily if required... I mean all the research I did there is no reason it shouldn't work...

I thought I was the only guy running a Moroso who also wanted the level light haha now I know others are interested I will keep y'all posted... if it works we should probs lobby Moroso to make it like that as standard... or offer it as a standard option

Comment

I installed one a few weeks ago, no problems. Trying to eliminate any future cooling system failures, plastic bullshit under pressure isn't for me. Also have all aluminum radiator, silicone hoses and electric fan.
                      Mike

Comment

Looking forward to hearing back on this, STAATS!
                        2003.5 Carbon Black ///M3 @_weaponM
                        MCS | Supersprint | CAE | TC Design | Momo | Schroth | Rogue | Turner | Bimmerworld | Vorshlag | Hyperco | AKG

Comment

Originally posted by nervous24 View Post
                          Looking forward to hearing back on this, STAATS!
                          It's not hitting Australia until mid-July and then needs to be shipped to me... If it fits in the same threads as the sight glass then i will start testing straight away and revert as i will just replace the sight glass with it short term... if not it will need to wait until I get a welder to come and weld up the roof bow for my CF roof install and weld up a new bracket for my Chase bays Windscreen Washer tank... either way i'll keep you guys posted

Comment

Originally posted by STAATS View Post

It's not hitting Australia until mid-July and then needs to be shipped to me... If it fits in the same threads as the sight glass then i will start testing straight away and revert as i will just replace the sight glass with it short term... if not it will need to wait until I get a welder to come and weld up the roof bow for my CF roof install and weld up a new bracket for my Chase bays Windscreen Washer tank... either way i'll keep you guys posted
                            STAATS:

Why not fit the Moroso bung and sensor (https://www.moroso.com/catalog/produ...num-bung63950/) in the same underside position like the original tank?

Feff
                            MVP Track Time

Comment

Our expansion tanks are not prone to failure. If one fails, that doesn't make the failure the new rule.
                              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                              X