Moroso Aluminum Expansion Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sapote View Post

I believe the stock level sensor is just a Reed relay that has a mechanical contact closed or opened based on the present of the magnetic field. There is a magnet ring on the tank level popper to trigger the Reed relay. It's not a capacitive sensor.
    Ah gotcha. Didn't know there was a float inside the tank. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Originally posted by STAATS View Post

I just shorted the wires on that so no dash light... I do eventually intend to try come up with a sensor setup so I can have it working again... but its no where near as important as the Coolant one was...
      thanks for the info! i'm guessing if you don't short the wires and leave the washer sensor unplugged it will trigger a dash light since the level sensor appears to be an on/off switch

Comment

Just finished adding the Moroso tank with the Moroso weld-in level sensor. Turned out great and really a pretty easy add-in if you can weld or know someone who can. Used some Deutsche connectors to use the stock wiring. Works like a charm.

2005 ZCP SMG ///M3

Comment

Originally posted by bryce2113 View Post
          Just finished adding the Moroso tank with the Moroso weld-in level sensor. Turned out great and really a pretty easy add-in if you can weld or know someone who can. Used some Deutsche connectors to use the stock wiring. Works like a charm.
          This is identical to how I did mine - Deutsche connector and sensor mount location and all - only different was I left way more of a pig tail on my sensor but that was OTT of me so it doesn't look as neat as this. They really should offer this as a standard for this tank or at the very least provide it as an option. It takes all of the downsides except for "weight" out of the equation but I don't think the weight difference is huge and when you consider, providing you don't have a crash, this is basically a for life part (aside from replacing the sensor or cap as they age), then I think its not bad all round, I'm definitely happy with mine

Comment

This is identical to how I did mine - Deutsche connector and sensor mount location and all - only different was I left way more of a pig tail on my sensor but that was OTT of me so it doesn't look as neat as this. They really should offer this as a standard for this tank or at the very least provide it as an option. It takes all of the downsides except for "weight" out of the equation but I don't think the weight difference is huge and when you consider, providing you don't have a crash, this is basically a for life part (aside from replacing the sensor or cap as they age), then I think its not bad all round, I'm definitely happy with mine
            Exactly my sentiment. I replaced the ET at the same time I replaced the rad with a KoyoRad and added the mishimoto electric fan kit (with relay). Figured if I'm going to overhaul the cooling for track reliability I'm best off going full tilt--and like you said the ET essentially has no downsides and I don't need to worry about it. I followed your lead on the sensor/bung, so thanks for the R&D so to speak .
            2005 ZCP SMG ///M3

Comment

Originally posted by bryce2113 View Post

Exactly my sentiment. I replaced the ET at the same time I replaced the rad with a KoyoRad and added the mishimoto electric fan kit (with relay). Figured if I'm going to overhaul the cooling for track reliability I'm best off going full tilt--and like you said the ET essentially has no downsides and I don't need to worry about it. I followed your lead on the sensor/bung, so thanks for the R&D so to speak .
              Haha no probs - I'm just happy for once I could do the leg work and provide the R&D for the community after all the ideas and DIY's I've taken from here from others

Comment

Is anyone running this tank able to tell if it sits any lower than the OEM expansion tank does, or if the mounting bracket can be modified to sit lower? Looking to increase the clearance between my expansion tank cap and hood vents.
                2003 LSB/LSB 6MT Coupe | BUILDJOURNAL | CAE RACING | DMG AUTOSPORT | SUPERSPRINT | 996 BREMBO BBK | ENKEI | RAYS ENGINEERING | MOTORSPORT HARDWARE | AST | BIMMERWORLD | TURNER MOTORSPORT | REDISH MOTORSPORT | DR VANOS | BEISAN

Comment

Originally posted by HighOnLSB View Post
                  Is anyone running this tank able to tell if it sits any lower than the OEM expansion tank does, or if the mounting bracket can be modified to sit lower? Looking to increase the clearance between my expansion tank cap and hood vents.
                  Hey mate - it doesn't sit any lower and uses the exact same mounting bracket etc as the stock tank so doesn't give you any more flexibility with regards to clearance over the stock tank. like if you could modify the bracket to make this sit lower you could equally achieve that with the stock tank. I'd say you are likely stuck in the space of having to custom fabricate a tank depending on how much clearance you need.

Comment

Hey mate - it doesn't sit any lower and uses the exact same mounting bracket etc as the stock tank so doesn't give you any more flexibility with regards to clearance over the stock tank. like if you could modify the bracket to make this sit lower you could equally achieve that with the stock tank. I'd say you are likely stuck in the space of having to custom fabricate a tank depending on how much clearance you need.
                    Appreciate the first hand information, this is what I was starting to fear based on what I could see from all the photos I could find online. It is not an immediate issue, there is just enough clearance currently, but a couple more mm would be nice just to be safe. At least I don't have to worry about replacing a fairly fresh OEM tank without reason now.
                    2003 LSB/LSB 6MT Coupe | BUILDJOURNAL | CAE RACING | DMG AUTOSPORT | SUPERSPRINT | 996 BREMBO BBK | ENKEI | RAYS ENGINEERING | MOTORSPORT HARDWARE | AST | BIMMERWORLD | TURNER MOTORSPORT | REDISH MOTORSPORT | DR VANOS | BEISAN

Comment

Working...
                    X