Front Main Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Main Seal

Installing front main seal with a makeshift press (timing cover on engine, engine on stand). Seems like the inside lip folded over. Is this installed correctly?

Attached Files

Bump.

On my 3rd seal using a home made press. Inner teflon lip folds over every time. Does anyone have advice on how to press this in? Was using pelican parts DIY.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Kdubski View Post
      On my 3rd seal using a home made press.
      I absolutely hate that seal. I've destroyed two of them upon install and installed one (incorrectly) which ended up leaking. I'm now running a Duralast version of the seal which is a spring type seal. Much easier to install than the BMW one, although I'll have to see how long it lasts. I installed this one because I needed to get the car put back together that same day and AutoZone had it in stock, but I digress.

The Duralast one sits flush with the timing case and if I remember correctly so does the BMW one. I'm wondering if the inner lip will settle if you spin the engine a couple times.

Btw, I tried to buy the special tool to install this seal because I had ruined some in the past, but was unable to find it for sale anywhere. Ended up making my own highly precise pair of tools consisting of a red solo cup and a block of wood. Did you press yours in with a socket like in the pelican parts DIY?
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I absolutely hate that seal. I've destroyed two of them upon install and installed one (incorrectly) which ended up leaking. I'm now running a Duralast version of the seal which is a spring type seal. Much easier to install than the BMW one, although I'll have to see how long it lasts. I installed this one because I needed to get the car put back together that same day and AutoZone had it in stock, but I digress.

The Duralast one sits flush with the timing case and if I remember correctly so does the BMW one. I'm wondering if the inner lip will settle if you spin the engine a couple times.

Btw, I tried to buy the special tool to install this seal because I had ruined some in the past, but was unable to find it for sale anywhere. Ended up making my own highly precise pair of tools consisting of a red solo cup and a block of wood. Did you press yours in with a socket like in the pelican parts DIY?
        Yup, followed the Pelican Parts DIY to a T. Also, made a makeshift press from PVC pipe to evenly press it in.

Getting the Autozone one is probably the best advice I've heard. How many miles on your current gasket?

Comment

Yup, followed the Pelican Parts DIY to a T. Also, made a makeshift press from PVC pipe to evenly press it in.

Getting the Autozone one is probably the best advice I've heard. How many miles on your current gasket?
          Only about 2k, so I can't really comment on the longevity of the part. Fixed my leak though and the install was MUCH easier. Luckily very few things need to be removed to gain access to it, so if it does start leaking prematurely, I'll just change it again.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Are you using the white bushing insert?

Comment

Originally posted by F1Dryvr View Post
              Are you using the white bushing insert?
              Of course

Comment

Of course
                If you're planning on installing a new seal, then one thing you can try is to use a cut up plastic cup instead of the white insert as detailed in this thread: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...cial-tool.html

I never tried this with the BMW seal, but I did do this when installing the AutoZone one. Not sure how much it helped make the install easier (compared to how much the seal being different helped) but it certainly didn't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                X