No announcement yet.

SMG: I've given up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW If I were swapping the trans I would go with the ZF 5spd (i think they are from an e36?). Lighter and cheaper and shifts better than the 6mt. Only downside is you need a new driveshaft since the 5spd is shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by Distinct View Post
      I've done pretty much everything I can with this (Burkhart, relocation, new clutch, etc.) and I surrender in defeat. It runs perfectly sometimes but has intermittent issues still. Yesterday it dropped out of gear a couple times and I had to keep restarting the car. Not heat related as it wasn't hot out and the car hadn't been driven hard or for a long duration, so the relocation seems to be doing great. Scanned the car this morning and it's giving me error 59 SMG clutch control. The cog light comes and goes. mostly when I just start up the car from cold. This isn't my daily driver so it looks like I will either manual transmission swap or just sell it. I've got enough problems in my life with other things breaking around the house, this SMG is just so frustrating. I wish that I had more local options for shops to do the swap. I've seen so many people doing them DIY on youtube and I'm so jealous, respectful and impressed.

Rant over. Sitting at home during COVID and just wanted to share.
      Dude I hear you. Big time. I'm literally about to rebuild this b#@h. I almost swapped but because I've bought pieces down tht road, like the burkhart kit (yet I haven't installed it) , seals for the pump and pretty much buying the transmission pieces like springs for the gears and washer for the crank or what not and maybe a new fork. And I have no 💰.My problem is " gear position sensor" but since I'm getting in there I'm just gonna rebuild the internals and see what's up with the sensor. I bought a used supposedly working one but I don't see how those can go like that. Anyway I plan on also rebuilding the pump with seals inside and burkhart motor with temp when I'mwith the transmission. Then csl software and I guess I'll see for myself how good she truly is. ( Fingers crossed).
      Last edited by Drewrivera; 06-14-2020, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Swap a 6sp manual is easier than convert the smg. But are you sure that used 6sp is good, or just a can of worms? I would go with converting your smg to 6sp using the same bell housing (using pre-machined bell housing from other boxes could lead to issues).

Comment

Working...
        X