Differential whine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential whine?

Had my diff checked, fluid replaced, pinion seals done, but when i accel I get a pretty annoying whine, same with deceleration. It makes daily driving kind of annoying.

Any solutions? Diff rebuild entirely?

What bushings are you running? I've heard of this happening with poly.

If your bushings are stock, it may be your pinion bearings. A couple of years ago when I was new to wrenching I went ahead and re-did my pinion seal. Unfortunately, because returning the pinion nut to its original position just didn't seem tight enough, and I am very dumb, I tried to tighten it another full turn past what it should have been. This ended up ruining the pinion bearings within a few thousand miles, and I was getting an annoying hum/whine on accel and decel. New pinion bearings fixed it. Expensive job, though, and frustrating because it's actually becoming pretty hard to get one of these diffs rebuilt without shipping it off somewhere. I phoned a ton of places in/around LA and only found two people willing to do it. Everyone else (including lots of "M speciality shops") said it's just too tricky to get right for the amount of labour they would charge, therefore not worth it for them.

I hope it's not your bearings!

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

If your bushings are stock, it may be your pinion bearings. A couple of years ago when I was new to wrenching I went ahead and re-did my pinion seal. Unfortunately, because returning the pinion nut to its original position just didn't seem tight enough, and I am very dumb, I tried to tighten it another full turn past what it should have been. This ended up ruining the pinion bearings within a few thousand miles, and I was getting an annoying hum/whine on accel and decel. New pinion bearings fixed it. Expensive job, though, and frustrating because it's actually becoming pretty hard to get one of these diffs rebuilt without shipping it off somewhere. I phoned a ton of places in/around LA and only found two people willing to do it. Everyone else (including lots of "M speciality shops") said it's just too tricky to get right for the amount of labour they would charge, therefore not worth it for them.

Poly bushings for both differential and subframe

might be that, i’m hoping its not the pinion bearings!

Comment

Ah, yeah, it's almost certainly your diff bushings then. Poly subframe bushings aren't a problem from what I understand. Not sure if it's the rear or front diff bushings that cause the whine, or if both contribute. I'm sure plenty of members here can tell you. To go back to stock on the rear bushings you have to replace the whole rear diff cover, unfortunately. Replacing the front diff bushing is much cheaper, but pressing the OE bushing into the subframe is kind of a bitch. But both much better than paying for a rebuild!

Comment

I've got poly diff bushings and yeah those are definitely the cause of your whine. As ATB88 said, either purchase a new rear diff cover or live with the whine.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Poly will do it, types of fluid can do it as well. You running OE stuff?
            2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
            2005 BMW ///M3
            Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
            2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
            2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
            2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

My poly diff bushings whine around 70mph.

Comment

Poly diff bushings transmit a heap of whine to the cabin. I'm running solid aluminium subframe bushings but oem diff bushings. Barely hear any whine in the cabin. Mind you, my exhaust isn't exactly quiet

Comment

The diffs in these cars are only good for about 150k, how many miles on your car?

Comment

Originally posted by hemi6 View Post
                    The diffs in these cars are only good for about 150k, how many miles on your car?
                    This is not correct.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by hemi6 View Post
                      The diff is bomb proof. The LSD, however, will wear out before 150k at which point you'll have a peg leg.
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

Thanks for the Intel

Comment

Working...
                        X