Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI: The Harbor Freight replacement jack stands also fail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triangles are also structurally better than squares. They pins are also much stronger. Regular ratcheting jack stands bend metal over time and have very slippery paint on them. I've noticed that my older jack stands are much more flat on the adjustment where the slots are in the ratcheting jack than new ones. It's a little disturbing. Pins are solid and it's shear strength versus steel plasticity which sucks. The only thing that's not true is the increased stability. The more corners the more stability naturally.
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
      Triangles are also structurally better than squares. They pins are also much stronger. Regular ratcheting jack stands bend metal over time and have very slippery paint on them. I've noticed that my older jack stands are much more flat on the adjustment where the slots are in the ratcheting jack than new ones. It's a little disturbing. Pins are solid and it's shear strength versus steel plasticity which sucks. The only thing that's not true is the increased stability. The more corners the more stability naturally.
      It’s not possible to have a wobbly 3 leg table. It’s very unlikely to have a stable 4 leg table, unless the table isn’t rigid (so the flex of the table allows it to level).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

It’s not possible to have a wobbly 3 leg table. It’s very unlikely to have a stable 4 leg table, unless the table isn’t rigid (so the flex of the table allows it to level).
        This brings up another good point. The four legged ones ended up sitting on 3 pegs a few times. Can't imagine that asymmetric load was good for the stands. The 3 legged ones I have no issues with and the foot print is so large and the pads so wide it's about as stable as boulder. Just say no to 4 legged ratchet stands, no good reason to use them.

Comment

Yep. Another reason I went with the ESCOs.

​​
          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

MIL-SPEC stands from US Jack. Not cheap but either is your life. I also have a pair of the 3 ton and then I do use the 6 ton HF stands one at the center of each end of the M3 but at that point they aren't carrying much load. So yes, I use 6 stands anytime under the car.

U.S. Jack is the provider of durable and dependable hydraulic jacks that give you the strong lift you need, where you need it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180924_160014.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	34762

Click image for larger version  Name:	6 ton stands.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.4 KB ID:	34759
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Phoenix///M3; 06-15-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
              I use these:

Pin-style, 3-legs (helps with slightly uneven ground) and a nice fat circular load pad on top. I've had my M3 on these since COVID hit (early March).

Highly recommend these over a ratchet style stand. They are a little more work to set the height, but zero fear of sudden drops...
              +2, these are the best option IMO. I have always felt safe with them under my car compared to my older Craftsman Racheting style.
              '06 IB/BLK 6SPD PN66072

Comment

Wish Costco would put the QuickJack back on sale. 😥

Comment

ok serious question, how would you jack up a car like that PY on the photo above. you drive on the ramps with your rears and then what? Jack would not fit under the car to reach the front jack point, do you need two jacks to do that easily? I've been working on my cars for over decade no and it is always a challenge...

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post
                    ok serious question, how would you jack up a car like that PY on the photo above. you drive on the ramps with your rears and then what? Jack would not fit under the car to reach the front jack point, do you need two jacks to do that easily? I've been working on my cars for over decade no and it is always a challenge...
                    scissor jacks can give you the space to fit a low profile jack under

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post
                      The way I learned from the Bimmerworld guys is to jack up the car from the side. Using the picture below, it's jack point #2. Put a jackstand on the jack point #1, and the front jackstand on the frame rail (directly inside/medial to the forward side jacking point, so the green square by #2). Lower the car onto the two jackstands, then do the same on the other side of the car.

Downside I found with this method is the car will be resting on the plastic underbody panels, so you will need to somehow remove them first if you need access.

Name:	jack_jkstandPts2.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	34969
                      Last edited by elbert; 06-16-2020, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Sorry, the ramp in the pic probably confuses things. Not sure what I was even doing with those but think I had the rear sitting on them at some point. I do not drive up those. The car was up for an extended time doing various things over the winter.

Anyway, here's my SOP....

Jack under the front left jack pad enough to slide a piece of 2/12 under the front left wheel, repeat on the right side. With the front tires resting on the 2x12 blocks my low profile, long reach jack can then reach the front center jack point. Jack there then put the front on stands. Jack the rear from the center jack point and place on stands. Slide a stand under both center jack points, front & rear for extra safety.

Quckjack would indeed be much easier but I don't want to store them. Hope to build a detached garage at some point with a lift or car stacker.
                        Last edited by Phoenix///M3; 06-16-2020, 09:08 AM.

Comment

After some research I realized I was wrong about that. Turns out the triangle is nature's super shape. Hexagons and octagons are strong because they made of triangles.
                          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I have a set waiting for go back to HF as soon as I can find some time.

Comment

Name:	73DC05A0-1F7B-4FFF-9150-5C1D1B5165F0.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	35310

Comment

Just FYI, a pair of Torin alloy stands for only $53 shipped!

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Torin T43004 Big Red 3 Ton Capacity Double Locking Aluminum Jack Stands - Pair at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Grabbed a pair myself.
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X