Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it realistic to find an e46 m3 coupe 6 speed for under 10k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albertan View Post
    You stated at first you wanted a car to build. So here is what I do. Buy the cheapest car you can find that has no rust. (And is a color you like or can live with) Then assume that no maint has ever been done and completely rebuild the entire thing. I did just that with a 2002 I have. I think I bought it for around 4000US. You can pay 15US for a lower mileage car that you will still still have to do all maint items anyway so you will end up spending more. My car I rebuilt engine, all new suspension wheel bearings well everything but trans and brakes. Brakes were almost new.
    I like working on cars as a hobby but now I rarely drive this one.
    Now is certainly a great time to be buying a car, you have your choice, terrible time to be selling. Zero interest in mine.
    That is precisely the point. I think most people hear think I will buy a fully ready to go m3 for under 10k which is not the case. I want to pick up a sub 10k m3 as a starting point then begin to spend the money on maintenance and mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post

Oxford Green/Black. I am a fan of OG but i know not everyone is. Id say just sit on your money and wait. Also, the auction idea is a good option if you have one close to you. Under 10k is going to cost you in rebuild, but if that doesnt bother you, youre good to go
      I actually think Oxford Green with Cinnamon interior is one of the nicest color combos for this car.

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post

I actually think Oxford Green with Cinnamon interior is one of the nicest color combos for this car.
        I agree with you, but based on bmw only selling ~120 OG M3’s total in north america, id say most people didnt feel that way from 01-06. I get it though, there is something special about each color and if i could order one new today, it would be technoviolet. So i wouldnt have added to the number either, but i am happy to have one all the same

Comment

Yes, it is possible. I bought my 2003 manual Topaz Blue coupe for $6300 from the last owner of 11 years back in January. Everything works on it, it has a clean title, and is the perfect candidate for a "forever build" (I've done the big 3 already and a lot of goodies). It does have a lot of miles (I got it with 204k) but based on the maintenance and ownership history I wasn't worried about it. I've replaced almost every single major wear item and the engine runs like a top. Since I did Euro headers and Supersprint exhaust, it's now ready for a custom E85 tune which will really wake the car up and make it even more fun at the track.
          ​​​​​​
          Everything I've done so far I would've had to do on any $15-25k car anyways and sometimes those are even more beat to shit in ways you can't see or weren't always maintained properly.

There are gems out there, especially in these times. Don't be afraid of high miles, be afraid of spending $15-20k and then having to dish out another $4-7k to get the car where you want. These cars will always demand more and you'll always want to tinker with it somehow so if you have patience you can find a higher mileage gem that's a better foundation for a build/daily driver than something far more expensive.

It's nice to put as many miles as you want on the car and not worry about the value dropping, especially on a car like this.
          Last edited by EthanolTurbo; 06-21-2020, 12:51 AM.
          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

For what you want to do, don’t be afraid of miles. The only supercharged E46M I drove was at Active Autowerke and it was their demo car. Thing had over 300k on the clock and drove, well, good enough to be their demo car. And you know those had to be hard miles. I think these are long mileage cars when maintained. And I think any stockish well maintained E46M in 15 years will be like E30s, especially attractive colors, SMG or not, convertible or not. No one will care about those minor details then, given that these were the dawn of the paddle shift era cars, on and off the track.

maw

Comment

Working...
            X