No announcement yet.

Will this tire size work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

265 is definitely better on 9.5". Can't wait to switch from my 275s (which are already pretty wide - MPSS)
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Yeah after researching and reading, this should be night and day difference on the track, as now I can run a more track oriented tire, and just use the staggered 67's on the street. I really appreciate you guys throwing the square setup at me.

Granted, I am new to the E46 M3, and learning this car (only tracked it twice), but I can't help feeling that the 400/500lb springs are to soft, but when I talk to Kline, he swears by this application. I have a good friend that tracked (very successfully) a gutted E36 M3 that weighed around 2500lbs and he ran TCK 500/600 even though TC recommended the 400/500 to him as well. I'm going to keep the same setup until I get the 265 square then start evaluating.

What are you guys thoughts on this?
      Last edited by Flat-Six; 06-16-2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Square setup wheels and tires will help you by reducing understeer. I am not sure what your alignment spec is; stock alignment spec is setup with understeer - because manufacturers view understeer as safer when compared to oversteer which can result in your car spinning.
        a good track alignment will help you as well on the track. either 265 or 275 width tires will be fine for you. I mentioned the offset in the first post. I meant I would pick 18x9.5 ET35 offset first then consider 18x9.5 ET22 offset. The Et22 offset is very aggressive and you are more likely to have rubbing issues. 18x9.5 et35 square setup, you can always run spacers to make the look flush.
        Keep in mind not all tires have the same actual width although the number on the tire says the same. 265/35/18 Nitto NT01 tire is wider than another a 265/35/18 Michelin tire or pretty much any other brand. Just an example.

For linear springs, 400/500 is fine. You can always upgrade later if you feel the suspension is too soft for your liking. I would take care of the wheel/tire first.
        2005 IR M3 Slick Top 6speed. Mods - too much to list!
        18 R8 RWS.
        19 Vantage
        15 YMB F80 M3 DCT - gone
        Other cars too boring to list.

Comment

I have the 245/275 combination as my daily set up. It works well and doesn't have any adverse affects that I have noticed!

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperboost View Post

For linear springs, 400/500 is fine. You can always upgrade later if you feel the suspension is too soft for your liking. I would take care of the wheel/tire first.
            Yeah I figured I'd address the suspension components after Tires and more track events. I'm definitely not making any other changes other than tires and alignment for now.

Comment

I hope you’ve given your brakes some thought too, don’t forget about those.
              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

^^^
                BMW = Broke My Wallet 😂
                2005 IR M3 Slick Top 6speed. Mods - too much to list!
                18 R8 RWS.
                19 Vantage
                15 YMB F80 M3 DCT - gone
                Other cars too boring to list.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                  That's down the road a bit as well. I really did not have a problem with the brakes, based on years of driving old air-cooled cars, but I'm sure I'll be looking at that later.

Comment

OEM brakes with track pads are good enough unless you're chasing tenths. Cheaper to run with pad/rotor free replacements at FCP euro.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

OEM brakes with track pads are good enough unless you're chasing tenths. Cheaper to run with pad/rotor free replacements at FCP euro.
                      I should clarify, I wasn't saying go and buy a BBK but just make sure you have fresh (quality) brake fluid and either very fresh OE pads or race pads, depending on the pace you run.
                      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

I should clarify, I wasn't saying go and buy a BBK but just make sure you have fresh (quality) brake fluid and either very fresh OE pads or race pads, depending on the pace you run.
                        Yep, I did. Brake Flush with track pads. But I really did not have a problem with the brakes. I am curious about larger rotors for better cooling though....

Comment

Are you guys using 75 or 90mm studs? I'm looking at 9.5 ET35 with 12mm spacer on rear.

Comment

Do 75mm then (good for up to 15mm). You really shouldn't be running more than that.
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                            X