Need help selecting wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help selecting wheels

I am looking to replace my style 67's with a lighter 18" wheel and have narrowed it down to Arc-8's or Sportlines.
    Let me preface this with the fact that I know very little about wheel fitment and am quite honestly just learning about things like offset etc.
    To add to my confusion the previous owner installed a set of BC coils and the ride height is obviously lowered more than a stock vehicle as well as the rear wheels having some negative camber. I do have all stock suspension components as well though.
    I measured from the side wall to a string and the gap in the front is approximately 1" and the gap at the rear is approximately 7/8".
    Fender to center on the front is approximately 13.5" and fender to center or the rear is approximately 12.5".
    I am thinking about a staggered setup 8.5/9.5 and would like to run 235/265 as opposed to the 225/255 that are currently installed.
    As far as the spacers go I would like flush or near flush fitment but not so crazy as the fling dirt down the side of the vehicle.
    The rear worries me as it is just so low and it sure looks that by the time I had flush wheel fitment the tires would almost certainly rub and I am NOT wanting to roll the fenders at this point. It may be as simple as running the ride height up on the coils and/or adding a bit of neg. camber, however the camber LOOKS somewhat aggressive as is. I may just have to get the wheels then rent a spacer kit to get those dialed in.

My questions are in regards to with the given information and pictures what offsets/spacers would you think I would want to run?
    Thank you for any help, I am just starting the learning process. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_223103.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	35583 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_223314.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	35584
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_214814.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	35576 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_214921.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	35577 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_215035.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	35578 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_215049.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	35579 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_214337.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	35580 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_214557.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	35581 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_214425.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	35582
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

There are a few good videos on offset. This site will help determine the fitment of old wheels vs new - https://www.willtheyfit.com/

For height, measure from the bottom of the rim to the top of the fender and subtract the radius of the rim.

Comment

Take a look at this too if you haven't already. I've found it helpful even if I'm buying wheels other than Apex ones

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide
      '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
      '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
      '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
      '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

Yeah honestly I would just email with Apex, Bimmerworld, or Titan7. Tell them what you're goals are and I am sure they will tell you what you need. If you can get the right offset to get the fit you want without running spacers than do that. Nothing inherently wrong with spacers but why use em if you dont need em?

Apex has the best selection of sizes though. I have the arc-8, TA-16 and the TS-7s. They are all great wheels and you wont be disappointed with any of them.

Comment

If you want custom forged wheels, made in America no less, contact Daniel Finke at Finspeed (https://finspeed.com/) in Texas. What ever design, offset and finish, they can do it in house.

Feff
          MVP Track Time

Comment

Offset is easy to calculate. It's quite simply how far in our out the wheel mounting face is relative to the centreline of wheel itself. Further towards the outside of the rim is positive, while the other way is negative. Basically, the lower the offset, the further outwards your wheels will sit. This must be taken into consideration when choosing tyre width/profile.

Regarding alloy's themselves, have you considered going down the 4 x rear 18" style 67's (18 x 9" +26)? Been done plenty of times and you can figure out how it will sit with little work. A 255 square setup maybe? Idk how it would affect daily driving i.e. more tramlining etc.?

I'm sure others will chime in and provide their advice

Comment

I've purchased a bunch of wheels from Apex and found them to be very helpful. Give them a call and they'll point you in the right direction.

Comment

I really want to a set of polished 18" Apex Arc 8's 8.5/9.5, just like the look of those. I see the 8Rs are substantially more expensive, wondering of its worth the extra money.

Instagram

Comment

Not sure if this helps, but here are my CS.16 Sportlines. I believe they had to change the design slightly since BMW sued them, but I could be wrong. Tires are 245/40-18 & Front wheel is 18*8.5 ET35. Rear is 275/35-18 & wheel is 18*9.5 ET22.

Name:	BMW4.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	35684

Name:	BMW6.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	35685

Comment

Originally posted by dr_011 View Post
                    Not sure if this helps, but here are my CS.16 Sportlines. I believe they had to change the design slightly since BMW sued them, but I could be wrong. Tires are 245/40-18 & Front wheel is 18*8.5 ET35. Rear is 275/35-18 & wheel is 18*9.5 ET22.

Name:	BMW4.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	35684

Name:	BMW6.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	35685
                    Very nice!
                    I sure wish the Sportlines or the Apex Arc 8s where available in the polished finish like the Arc 8R's. I have gotten used to a little bling with the Fuchs 67's and part of me is a bit timid to go to a "matte" style finish. But man, that price point of $1600ish shoots up to $2500+ fast with the 8R's.
                    Anyone know of any similar wheels in the sub $2000 price point of similar quality that offer a polished finish?

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                      Very nice!
                      I sure wish the Sportlines or the Apex Arc 8s where available in the polished finish like the Arc 8R's. I have gotten used to a little bling with the Fuchs 67's and part of me is a bit timid to go to a "matte" style finish. But man, that price point of $1600ish shoots up to $2500+ fast with the 8R's.
                      Anyone know of any similar wheels in the sub $2000 price point of similar quality that offer a polished finish?
                      I believe Apex just closed their GB with $500 off the new forged wheels. Maybe you can try to contact them for a spot?

IND DISTRIBUTION | 847-963-4520 • INSTAGRAMFACEBOOKYOUTUBEFLICKR

Comment

I went with square setup, Apex EC-7, 18 x 9.5 et 35 with MPSS 265/35/18. I know you didn’t list these as an option, but adding to help inform. I didn’t have any clearance options until I installed KW V2, with the progressive spring in the front I had to add a spacer to fit. Apex assumed a 5mm would work, but I ended up with 12mm all around, probably could have used something less. I only ran into rubbing at the track and was just the fender liner.

Have you looked at Apex FL-5? I think those look fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
                          If you want custom forged wheels, made in America no less, contact Daniel Finke at Finspeed (https://finspeed.com/) in Texas. What ever design, offset and finish, they can do it in house.

Feff
                          Those are some nice, but very pricey wheels.
                          BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I recently had my set up fine tuned. Apex Arc-8's, Front wheels: 18x8.5" ET38, Rear: 18x9.5" ET22. I ended up using 12mm spacers all around along with the Apex 75mm M12 stud kit. I also have ST coilovers which provide excellent adjustment. I went Firestone Indy 500 on the tires, Front: 235/40R18 and Rear: 265/35R18.

Name:	IMG_5628.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	35907

Name:	IMG_5560.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	35908

Name:	IMG_5562.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	35909
                            2006 M3 SMG Coupe Jet Black - AFE Intake - Borla Exhaust - ST XTA Coilovers

Comment

Working...
                            X