Originally posted by 01SG
View Post
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
E92 vs e46
Collapse
X
-
I typically only drive mine mornings and evenings when the sun isn't too brutal. I'm thinking about hats, but don't want it to blow away. Might just accept looking funny and get a boonie cap with a chinstrap.
Funny enough about the shifter, that's one thing I prefer on the e46. Perhaps it's just years of growing accustomed to the Getrag. I don't like the roadster's lower shift knob either, I'm going to change it to a broomstick. The engine bay is definitely a pleasant place to be, cylinder 6 being totally exposed makes things a lot easier. All that space does make one think about dropping an s65 in there...
The z4 is a great compliment to the m3. Parts availability and aftermarket are the only real drawbacks.
- Likes 1
Comment
-
I've heard the wind deflector works really well.Originally posted by 01SG View PostI typically only drive mine mornings and evenings when the sun isn't too brutal. I'm thinking about hats, but don't want it to blow away. Might just accept looking funny and get a boonie cap with a chinstrap.
Two small things that really irk me about the e9x generation is the headlight dial (looks/feels so cheap) and the window switches in the door, makes me feel like I'm in a Toyota.Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post
This isn't talked about enough IMO, it is one of the great dash designs of our time. Everything is sculpted to fall away perfectly and the inclination towards the driver is perfect. Probably the most iconic dash layout and guages, top 5 for sure.
Comment
-
Originally posted by hogger453 View PostPut 414 HP in a E46 and you're going to have a faster car than the ....
I sometimes wonder if many people on this forum have actually driven modern BMWs.
I have well over 400whp in my E46... and my SUV shits all over it, in every single metric. All while having a carseat in the back, AC on blast, and Android auto blaring.
Modern BMWs are really, really good.
The analog feeling in the E46 only goes so far. At some point, you have to realize it's 2027. G8X cars are running 9s.
NINES.2004 Dinan S3-R M3
2023 X3M Competition
Comment
-
I drive modern BMW's all the time as a part of my job as a BMW technician at an independent shop. It's interesting to see how the cars have changed over the years, and objectively the modern cars are better in most metrics (other than weight, they're all too damn heavy now)...Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
I sometimes wonder if many people on this forum have actually driven modern BMWs.
I have well over 400whp in my E46... and my SUV shits all over it, in every single metric. All while having a carseat in the back, AC on blast, and Android auto blaring.
Modern BMWs are really, really good.
The analog feeling in the E46 only goes so far. At some point, you have to realize it's 2027. G8X cars are running 9s.
NINES.
But at the same time, a lot of us don't particularly care about 0-60 times because above a certain power level you can't even do anything with it. Every time I drive an X5M or F80 M3 around, it's way too fast for normal driving unless you drive like an asshole everywhere, just feels kinda unnecessary. If we had a derestricted highway like the Autobahn in Germany then I could see a use case for these super fast modern cars, but when every local speed limit is like 25-35 and highways are like 55-65 you really don't need more than 300hp.
I can't think of the last time I got out of a turbo-era BMW and actually wanted to own one personally. The newest car I've been okay with has been an E92 M3, and even then I found it to be kinda excessive. And that's okay, we don't all have to be into the same things, everyone's got their own priorities in what they want from their car.
- Likes 2
Comment
-
lol. I sold my e60 m5 because it was too fast to drive hard, so I couldn’t enjoy it (and because I hated working on it). It was in the twelves (i assume— never tried).Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
I sometimes wonder if many people on this forum have actually driven modern BMWs.
I have well over 400whp in my E46... and my SUV shits all over it, in every single metric. All while having a carseat in the back, AC on blast, and Android auto blaring.
Modern BMWs are really, really good.
The analog feeling in the E46 only goes so far. At some point, you have to realize it's 2027. G8X cars are running 9s.
NINES.
TWELVES.
Pretty well captures why I have no interest in anything newer than that.
… and I feel like if straight line acceleration is what you value, electric cars are better.
2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
2012 LMB/Black 128i
100 Series Land Cruiser
- Likes 1
Comment
-
Sounds like an electric car is for you.Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
I sometimes wonder if many people on this forum have actually driven modern BMWs.
I have well over 400whp in my E46... and my SUV shits all over it, in every single metric. All while having a carseat in the back, AC on blast, and Android auto blaring.
Modern BMWs are really, really good.
The analog feeling in the E46 only goes so far. At some point, you have to realize it's 2027. G8X cars are running 9s.
NINES.
- Likes 1
Comment
-
Guys... I own an E46 M3.
In fact, it's one of the nicest and highly modified ones on the forum.
And I'm telling you... these cars cannot be modified to hang with a modern BMW. It just can't be done.
If you appreciate the car for what it is, then that's fantastic, and you're in the right car. The E46 is an amazing machine, and it has a terrific personality.
I love my car.
I understand the whole concept of 'driving a slow car fast vs driving a fast car slow', believe me.
But those of you that haven't driven a G80 should go put one in Sport+ and see how far these cars have come.
2004 Dinan S3-R M3
2023 X3M Competition
- Likes 1
Comment
-
I haven’t seen anyone claim they can be made to modern car speeds.Originally posted by 9kracing View PostGuys... I own an E46 M3.
In fact, it's one of the nicest and highly modified ones on the forum.
And I'm telling you... these cars cannot be modified to hang with a modern BMW. It just can't be done.
If you appreciate the car for what it is, then that's fantastic, and you're in the right car. The E46 is an amazing machine, and it has a terrific personality.
I love my car.
I understand the whole concept of 'driving a slow car fast vs driving a fast car slow', believe me.
But those of you that haven't driven a G80 should go put one in Sport+ and see how far these cars have come.
I’ve driven several G80s and came away happy to not own one every time.
2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
2012 LMB/Black 128i
100 Series Land Cruiser
- Likes 2
Comment
-
Originally posted by Obioban View Post
I haven’t seen anyone claim they can be made to modern car speeds.
I’ve driven several G80s and came away happy to not own one every time.
What didn't you like about them?
I will admit they are numb... going 120mph feels the same as going 60mph ... but that's part of the charm for me. You can do break-neck speeds and still carry on a conversation like it's afternoon tea.2004 Dinan S3-R M3
2023 X3M Competition
Comment
-
I enjoy driving near the cars limit. I don't need that to be absurdly fast. I do need it to be communicative, and ideally in a car that's small (so I can play with a line without leaving my lane) and light.Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
What didn't you like about them?
I will admit they are numb... going 120mph feels the same as going 60mph ... but that's part of the charm for me. You can do break-neck speeds and still carry on a conversation like it's afternoon tea.
My e60 M5 was communicative-- but the limits were so high that I could never drive near them, so street driving always felt like I couldn't actually enjoy the car. And, on track worse because a fast/heavy car destroys tires/brakes/bushings in no time. I can do an entire season on a set of R comps on the M3. I can do 1-2 events in a modern heavy/fast car before I need brakes and tires.
On the highway, having 120 feel like 60 makes me want to get out and walk, out of boredome. As in, I'm either falling asleep because I'm near the speed limit, or I'm going to go to jail if I get caught. I pretty much never took the e60 M5 on highway trips because I'd always find myself accidentally going 130+, and that's just not a good way to stay out of jail.
In pretty much everything I care about, too much additional speed beyond a certain point makes cars worse for everything I care about. Being larger makes me like cars less. Being heavier makes me like cars less. Not having steering feel makes me like them less. And, torque makes me like them less. The e60 M5 that annoyed me in all those ways is slower and more communicative than the G80, so just turn that dial more towards stuff I don't care about.
I honestly just don't understand when the speed is actually useful.
Traffic light to traffic light you're going to lose to any semi modern EV
on a back road, too fast to have fun/actually be able to push the car
on the highway, makes going within 30mph of the speed limit miserable (at least in PA, 31 and more over the limit is jail, so I try to limit myself to 30 over)
At DEs, you're destroying consumables (assuming you're driving competently) and there's no prize for being faster
If raced or time trialed, cars are classed, so being be in a faster car doesn't give you any advantage
As far as I can tell, it honestly just makes the car worse at everything you actually do with a car. To me, this is a downgrade.
... anyway, back to day dreaming about e34 M5s for me :P
2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
2012 LMB/Black 128i
100 Series Land Cruiser
- Likes 3
Comment
-
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong and only from a drivers engagement, involvement. Maybe there is more but really not for me.
I had a 2020 M2 CS and would still take the E46 M3 over it which I did.
I don't care how fast or how slow it is. Hell, a Miata is a very sought after for the driving experience and that above all else matters to me.
I'm not trying to give the M3 a ton of HP to keep up with anything.
The only thing I can compare and take over the E46 M3 was my GT4.
The G8X does 9 second 1/4 miles I certainly dgaf.
Comment

Comment