Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW E46 M3 Coupé Full Respray Query

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    BMW E46 M3 Coupé Full Respray Query

    Folks,

    I am considering a full respray on my 2002 BMW E46 M3 Coupé and am after some general advice on things to be aware of before getting this done.

    To give a bit of background, the paint is in good condition for the age and looks great from five metres away (I detail it regularly). However, upon closer inspection there are defects on ~75% of the panels on the car, which are mostly due to age related wear.

    Defects include scratches (which can't be polished out), stone chips/road rash, dings, lacquer peel and minor bubbling (front wings, front of lower sills, bottom of A pillars and wing mirror bases).

    The car is no garage queen and is primarily used for European road trips and track days. Given the use of the car I have put off painting it for a while, however the bubbling has been getting worse over recent years and I would like to nip this in the bud and give the paint a new lease of life.

    I intend to keep the car for many more years and so the idea is to do this once and do it right.

    The plan is for the car to have a full respray in its original colour (Carbon Schwarz, paint code 416). Glass will be coming out and doors will be coming off. I will also be replacing all seals/rubbers and badges.

    I have spoken to several bodyshops and have narrowed it down to two. I have not yet decided which I will be using but both are familiar with older BMWs (incl. E46s) and primarily focus on restoration work as opposed to insurance work. In terms of paint systems, one uses PPG and the other uses Novol.

    There is also the option to use one of the BMW main dealers here in the UK. Earlier this year BMW UK introduced the Classic Partner programme as a pilot and if I were to use a main dealer I would most likely use a Classic Partner. I am yet to speak with such and obtain a quote but intend to.

    Whoever I use, I will ask them to document the work. I will also only be using a bodyshop who will warranty the work.

    Once the car has been resprayed I intend to put it into storage for a few months (to allow it to gas off), after which point I will detail it and seal it with a wax (I am not a fan of ceramic coatings or PPF).

    So yeah, is there anything in particular I should be aware of?

    Ideally I would prefer responses from owners who have had full resprays done on their cars or forum members who paint cars for a living.

    Cheers,

    2002 BMW E46 M3 Coupé
    2005 Porsche 911 (997.1) Carrera S

    #2
    Why not change it to a unique color if you're doing a windows-out full respray?


    I would think that would increase the value.
    2004 Dinan S3-R M3
    2023 X3M Competition

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
      Why not change it to a unique color if you're doing a windows-out full respray?


      I would think that would increase the value.
      I've thought about that but would like to keep it Carbon Schwarz.

      It is my favourite colour for the E46 M3 and the colour that the car was painted in from the factory.

      I've considered other BMW colours, as well as colours from other marques (mainly blacks and dark blues), but haven't found a colour which I prefer over Carbon Schwarz.

      I am also not too bothered about the value as I bought this car (a long time ago now) to drive. This car isn't about making money.

      Do you have any pointers of things to be aware of before putting it in for paint?
      2002 BMW E46 M3 Coupé
      2005 Porsche 911 (997.1) Carrera S

      Comment


        #4
        How much of the car has factory paint? If the defects can be isolated and they can spot correct/blend those areas for significantly less than a full respray, they I would go that route for a road trip, track car. You don't want the paint to be perfect; otherwise, you will not use the car.

        But if you are going to go for a full respray, it is color change time IMO. While carbon black is a nice color, I would not do a full respray in that color.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Slideways View Post
          How much of the car has factory paint? If the defects can be isolated and they can spot correct/blend those areas for significantly less than a full respray, they I would go that route for a road trip, track car. You don't want the paint to be perfect; otherwise, you will not use the car.

          But if you are going to go for a full respray, it is color change time IMO. While carbon black is a nice color, I would not do a full respray in that color.
          Most of the car is factory paint.

          It's just the bumpers and one of the front wings which have had paint.

          I will still use the car as intended after the respray. If it chips again so be it.

          Colour change is not on the cards.
          2002 BMW E46 M3 Coupé
          2005 Porsche 911 (997.1) Carrera S

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by R60BBA View Post

            Colour change is not on the cards.
            A shame... but it's understandable.
            '05 ///M3 Mysticblau Metallic / Grey Nappa 6MT
            '24
            Audi RS5 Nardo Grey / Black​

            Comment


              #7
              Go with glasurit or if PPG, make sure to get their better stuff with longer protection, not their 10 year stuff. Assuming you want to keep the car for a while still.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                Go with glasurit or if PPG, make sure to get their better stuff with longer protection, not their 10 year stuff. Assuming you want to keep the car for a while still.
                Glasurit is top quality and what BMW uses from factory. However from speaking to a few painters I have been informed that as long as the paint system is of good quality, you are better off using the system that the painter regularly uses and is familiar with, rather than specifying that they use a particular system.

                I.e. asking a painter who is familiar with Sikkens to use Glasurit wouldn’t be a good idea.

                The bodyshop who uses PPG, uses Max Meyer for primers and base and PPG 8131 clear.

                You’ve reminded me to find out what paint system the BMW main dealer/Classic Partner uses though so thanks.
                Last edited by R60BBA; Yesterday, 01:14 PM.
                2002 BMW E46 M3 Coupé
                2005 Porsche 911 (997.1) Carrera S

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                  Why not change it to a unique color if you're doing a windows-out full respray?


                  I would think that would increase the value.
                  Color change on a classic M car will always, always decrease its value. Especially if its done without engine out/full stripping to bare body and respraying all areas.
                  BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

                    Color change on a classic M car will always, always decrease its value. Especially if its done without engine out/full stripping to bare body and respraying all areas.
                    Unless you go green it seems


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X